Just In Case.....

Polly

....... you thought we were all at the Grendel, Doug, Timbo, Griff ...........level of woodworking perfection, I give you.....

Polly's dinghy lid!

It is a work of genius in its own way, of course, born of the failure to keep a succession of fabric covers from sagging and failing under the weight of water when we leave the Whimp to its own devices for any length of time (she is too heavy just to flip over).

So 6 9mm ply sections, jointed with holes and bungees for hinges, will fold out under the cover and prevent sag and accompanying rain ingress. Folded it will be easier to store on the mooring when we are off sailing and when in use we can angle it slightly with the mast laid underneath to provide a bit of run off.

I have given it a single coat of varnish, because it's boaty to do so and to stop damp mould, but beautiful it isn't , not like Tim's drawers..I mean doors!

image.jpg

• Like 8

• 6 months later...
On 07/08/2017 at 11:13, Polly said:

Oops missed Stuart out in the list of wood wizards! 

Not the only one either :15_yum: 42 yrs in joinery and boatbuilding both UK and worldwide,  but then again its not in my profile and I hardly refer to it on forum so easy missed :default_biggrin:.

8 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Not the only one either :15_yum: 42 yrs in joinery and boatbuilding both UK and worldwide,  but then again its not in my profile and I hardly refer to it on forum so easy missed :default_biggrin:.

Some people don't need to shout about their skill, talents and experiences on their profiles. As wooden boat owners, we don't look at the list of "wizards" and self-proclaimed "experts" when we need someone to work on BG. We go by word of mouth and looking at their work. Hence,  apart from ourselves, only three unnamed people ever do work on BG.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteveO said:

Erm.... shouldn't it have had about 92 coats of varnish, each rubbed down between coats to within an inch of its life and the last 10 applied by the light of a blue moon?

you have forgotten that it must be applied with a brush made of finest unicorn hair.:default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, grendel said:

Gosh, it must be terribly hard to find good woodworkers that don't have names.:default_biggrin: :default_coat:

I think you misunderstand: I meant that I don't name the people who work on our boat, , and only trust very few to carry out the skilled work involved. Thus, we can be assured that we get quality. 

My experience on the Broads, has shown me that there are a lot of "self-promoters" who claim knowledge they do not have and that they can do all sorts of "alchemy" with regard to boats. However, close examination reveals that the claims are, like those of the fishermen, somewhat prone to exaggeration.  One need only moor a wooden boat at Beccles to find the armchair admirals and "boat builders" crawling out from under  their piles of sawdust. Some of these people have worked on BG, and we are currently sorting out the mess left by a navy of  well-meaning amateur "shipwrights" 

With regard to your comment, the people who work on our boat are actually time served, qualified and experienced. They do not need to broadcast their skills and have asked me not to share their names on social media. I am simply honouring the requests of other human beings. It is not difficult to find people with the right skills, one only needs to look at boats, listen and ask the right questions. Then again, some people are too busy making a noise to look and listen. I was always taught to keep my eyes and years open, and my mouth shut. My late granny used to say: empty vessels make the most noise.