MauriceMynah

How Many Gigabytes Is A Piece Of String?

Generally, when it comes to cost and data allowance, the networks are far more happy to give lots of data on phones and far less on MiFi/Dongles because if too many people began to use their phone network as their main source of Internet provision, the networks would not be able to cope.

Just imagine if just half of a town gave up their Broadband provided by their phone line and switched to using the mobile phone networks..

So John, how much does it actually cost?

Well once you have your Three MiFi and presuming you've gone down the Pay as you Go route you will get some included data (along with a reduced priced unit).  Once the data is used up and you need to top it up here is what you can get:

Allowance. Price.
  1GB £10
  3GB £15
  7GB £25
  500MB £2.99

What I tend to do is go for the £15.00 top up for 3GB and when this runs out just top up an extra 500Mb for £2.99 -but - be aware the 500Mb only lasts 24hrs before it expires, so even if you think that might be the cheapest option as you do not plan to use much data 24hrs after you've topped up it will have gone anyway.

1GB+ data allowances expire after 30 days.

Funds added to your 'Account' never expire and can be used at any time to be converted into data allowance e.g you might want to add £50.00 to your account, then log into My Three and convert £15.00 of that into 3GB of data.

With this thread in mind, as I was in Tesco, I asked them when my contract was due to finish. 'Today' was the reply. So, the very knowledgable young lady with the purple hair, nose ring and lip piercings, asked me some questions regarding my phone use and what I wanted the phone to do.

As I gave my requirements the young lady excluded makes and models of phone.
"I'm not interested in fashion accessories, I need a phone that works as it's primary function is for use in an emergency."
"So that's I-Phone out of the equation." said the young lady to whom I was suddenly warming.
 In the meantime, Ben Gunn was pointing out the phone Watson has just switched to (Samsung).
"I spend a lot of time on the Norfolk Broads and the signal can be difficult to obtain." I continued.
"That's I-Phone and Samsung of no use then."
Ben Gunn looked crestfallen.
"I want a very good quality camera and screen 4K capable".
"That's I-Phone, Samsung and cheaper Android phones discounted. Leaving only one choice!" said the young lady.
"Yes, it's another Sony."

Looking at my data and call usage we sorted out a package. I had previously had 500 minutes of talk time, 500 texts and 500 mb data a month in my contract. My new contract as 1000 minutes of talk time, 1000 texts and 3GB of Data per month, plus insurance for my phone for 50% less than my original contract. So...£17 per month and I'm all sorted.

The purple haired siren then went on to transfer all of my contacts, apps and data from my old phone to my new phone while I went shopping for cream cakes with my Tesco points!

My phone is an essential device so it has to work and work well. Contract phones are not for everyone, Ellie uses pay as you go (or my phone) on a Windows Phone (worse than I-Phone and that must have taken some serious Stella Artois during development). She now has my old Sony and was quite amazed at how easy it was to use and how well it worked (signal black spot here too). 

I know phones and computers are like football teams, boats or Marmite, and I know I'm often disparaging about Apple products, if they work for you then great stuff.

8 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I know phones and computers are like football teams, boats or Marmite, and I know I'm often disparaging about Apple products, if they work for you then great stuff.

You should try developing apps for Apple stuff.... That's a way to develop a real hatred!

It will do, yeah.

A lower-end Android phone should be yours for £15 a month even. This is why I suggested going that route - It's a very convenient way of going about things.

I very rarely carry my laptop on the boat when I'm away. Maybe sometimes an Android tablet, but usually just my phone as I can get everything done.

It will need charging more than an old Nokia, I concede, but if you plug it in every night whether it needs it or not then it should be fine. And that's something you quickly get used to.

My Dear MM...the £17 per month includes a Sony telephone with a very clear screen measuring 2.5 inches by 4.25 inches. The phone dimension is 2 5/8" by  5 1/2".

The only problem with my new phone being...It has not transferred your number across from my old one...so please give me a buzz this evening so that I can put you back into the contacts directory?