Lynx To Be Reintroduced To The Wild...

Timbo

I've just read the article, The stupidity of what's said is beyond belief.

"The trust said Lynx could bring benefits to the ecology of the areas by controlling deer populations and helping to protect the ailing capercaillie."  Yeah right. The cat's going to take on a deer and not touch the Dickie birds.

"This is a classic example of the negative impacts that come with removing species like the lynx from an ecosystem," he said.

Errm hang on a sec, a few paragraphs back it noted...

"Plans to introduce Eurasian Lynx just 30 miles from Glasgow, 1,300 years after it became extinct in the UK, have been outlined in a consultation paper."

1,300 YEARS ?????... It's taken it's bloody time then. and of course the human has done nothing to effect that delicate ecosystem in all those years, Oh no, it was loosing those bloody cats.

Oh just give the man a job with the BA or have him put down, I don't really care which.

So much for "Natural England" as well!!!

Rant over.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I did hear they wanted to reintroduce dinosaurs back on the Broads after being missing for 65 million years. got to readdress the balance of nature. 

Then they realised the dinosaurs had been here all the time running the BA:default_eusa_dance:

so what will they introduce to control the lynx when they become a pest?

of course they could just send Griff up to shoot the deer and pine marten!!!! 

• Haha 2

Tim its funny when I read it they were on about exploding Pine Martens - though they couldnt spell Marten - and how they were eating all the eggs of the capercaillie. now why is this such a bad thing, bad enough that they couldnt use the common name of the bird - grouse - ah yes the very same that thousands flock to scotland to shoot at - that are bred just for that purpose.

Maybe its over consumption of the spent shotgun cartridges that cause the pine marten to explode.

Not sure that the Capercaillie is quite the same as a grouse, but I get the point.

Otters used to be one of the most timid creatures in the UK. Even the wardens of nature reserves never saw them, even though they knew they were there. Same goes for foxes, which live in towns now, and look both ways before they cross the road.

How long before the lynx knows no fear, and starts attacking campers in the highlands?

It's all right though, as they already have their own charity - Lynx UK Trust. Can you believe this? Soon there will be adverts on TV : all you have to do is donate £3 a month to adopt one of these cuddly predators and "Fluffy" will even send you a Christmas card.

I like the last line of the article : "Imagine how amazing it would be to hop on a bus in Glasgow and be in Lynx habitat half an hour later".

Who employs these people?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I like the last line of the article : "Imagine how amazing it would be to hop on a bus in Glasgow and be in Lynx habitat half an hour later".

a bit like out of the frying pan and into the fire, though I imagine that in the lynx habitat you might be slightly safer.

• Haha 2

Grouse are actually not bred they are totally wild. The most common species Red Grouse are hatched on the moor and eat the young heather and wild herbs. The four species of Grouse are Red, Black, Ptarmigan a high living variety that turns white in winter and capercaille which is a very large woodland grouse.

The Grouse should not be confused with the Pheasant and Partridge that are reared for shooting.

The land on which the Red Grouse roams is managed by burning, this promotes the young heather to sprout but also eradicates sheep and deer ticks and other parasites. A few years back I was having a pint in The Tan Hill Inn at the top of Arkengarthdale and was talking to a Head Keeper. It has to be said that he was drowning his sorrows a bit because of a cold and wet spring chick numbers had suffered and his employer had decided not to shoot that season. 

It would be the estate that would be down over £300K but the beaters who rely on the tramp for their beer money and the Keepers tips from the guns which he said paid for a holiday in the sun for him and his wife at end of season was not going to happen that year. As for grouse shooting 90 plus percent is the Red Grouse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, grendel said:

Tim its funny when I read it they were on about exploding Pine Martens - though they couldnt spell Marten - and how they were eating all the eggs of the capercaillie. now why is this such a bad thing, bad enough that they couldnt use the common name of the bird - grouse - ah yes the very same that thousands flock to scotland to shoot at - that are bred just for that purpose.

Maybe its over consumption of the spent shotgun cartridges that cause the pine marten to explode.

But....Exploding Martin's...imagine what Fiona would say!

• Like 1