Salvage Hunters Drew Pritchard

One thing I do enjoy watching on TV is Salvage Hunters with Drew Pritchard and his crew.

Well last night he was in Beccles at a place called Vintage Mischief in Hungate Lane, Beccles.

Drew likes Antiques, but Vintage Mischief is Vintage, which are items up to being 100 years old. 

It is worth a visit if you have time. I will try to drag Ian to have a gook look :11_blush:.

Regards

Marina :default_stinky:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
2 minutes ago, Polly said:

My obsession is The Repair Shop. I love seeing real craftsmanship and the stories are good too.

I've no interest in the stories, but I love to see the team at work demonstrating such a high level of skills. 

One of the funniest things on there was when the two ladies who do cuddly toys were tasked to restore a leather hippo or rhino. They had to push the fresh stuffing into the body through its ar5e. 

The two ladies just corpsed.

• Like 1

I detest Drew Pritchard. I find him so annoying that I can no longer watch what would otherwise be an interesting programme. When you see him conning schools and religious establishments out of their treasures, pretending he is being fair with the price he offers, then you see him back at base, talking up the provenance and selling stuff for many multiples of what he paid for them, you see the man for the jumped up little prat he is.

• Like 3

I really like "Repair Shop", especially Steve Fletcher the clock maker, Will the carpenter and Dominic, the metal worker. The skills of Steve remind me very much of our own Grendel! I really can't abide Jay Blades though! I've never seen him do anything except rub flesh and order things!! Even dresses up in his craft apron and unrolls a bag of chisels I've yet to see him use!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SteveO said:

I detest Drew Pritchard. I find him so annoying that I can no longer watch what would otherwise be an interesting programme. When you see him conning schools and religious establishments out of their treasures, pretending he is being fair with the price he offers, then you see him back at base, talking up the provenance and selling stuff for many multiples of what he paid for them, you see the man for the jumped up little prat he is.

That's how most of the antiques trade operates, surely ? Buy it as cheap as you can and sell it on as high as the market will let you...  I don't see any of the schools and religious establishments as particularly short of cash !

• Like 1

Nobody is forced to sell him anything. If you don't like the price offered, don't sell. It always surprises me when he finds something in a shed that the owner considered junk, and as soon as they realise there's value in it, it becomes a treasured family heirloom, that can't be sold at any price! I don't particularly like him as a person, but the programme is enlightening as to what his clients will pay ridiculous money for. Reminds me of Harry Enfield's shop, "I saw you coming".

• Like 4

The Repair Shop came along as a breath of fresh air; no false deadlines, no interpersonal dramas and no mention of monetary values. Unfortunately, it's gone the same way as DIY SOS and indulges itself in dramatic personal stories attached to the items being restored. I find myself not minding if I miss it, then I don't bother watching anyway.

Salvage Hunters doesn't appeal, The Restorers does. I have to wonder how much DP makes from actually making the show, and how much of it is set up and scripted?

The popularity of tv programmes showing how to make a profit on the side is amazing. But if they ever come up with a format where someone buys something, restores it then sells it for less than the purchase price, I could be famous!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In all the "reality" shows, a great deal is pre-arranged. The need to make an interesting scene for the viewer almost guarantees it. Every time a presenter knocks on someone's door, how come there's a camera crew behind them when they answer? It's obviously set up before hand, but makes the scene "flow" better to the viewer. And when DP is rummaging towards the back of some "never seen before" outbuilding, there always seems to be a camera crew that's waiting for him! Obviously, he's already explored there, and found something of interest. Whether the "finds" are planted . . . who knows? I do sometimes suspect as much.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, floydraser said:

Salvage Hunters doesn't appeal, The Restorers does. I have to wonder how much DP makes from actually making the show, and how much of it is set up and scripted?

This is very true, you never know what you are watching on so-called "reality" TV.  I love The Repair Shop for the craftsmanship and I like The Restorers, except where Pritchard makes his malign appearance. It is a pity we have lost so many skills. I was struggling to find someone to clean and repair a grandmother clock a few years ago and, although I eventually found someone to do the job, he was on the verge of retirement. Not sure I'd find someone so easily now,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Regulo said:

Nobody is forced to sell him anything. If you don't like the price offered, don't sell. It always surprises me when he finds something in a shed that the owner considered junk, and as soon as they realise there's value in it, it becomes a treasured family heirloom, that can't be sold at any price! I don't particularly like him as a person, but the programme is enlightening as to what his clients will pay ridiculous money for. Reminds me of Harry Enfield's shop, "I saw you coming".

And no-one is forcing me to watch it either - so I don't.

• Like 1

Have watched it, once! In days of my youth Mr Pritchard would have been called a scavenger. As one who can't walk past a skip without looking for items of interest I have to admit to being one too. Got to say that I have never really taken to Mr Pritchard for whatever reason, maybe it's his manner.

• Like 1

I do like the show, but as has been said before, so much of it has been scripted. I also like the repair shop, but not the stories, i like to watch the skills that are a dying art.  Suzie Fletcher the saddle maker does amazing stuff with leather, and her borther Steve (an ex fireman i believe) is amazing where tiny intricate stuff is concerned. 

Other similar programmes i like are "Money for Nothing" and Find it, fix it, flog it". Both are good for showing how a lot of junk can be re-purposed into something more desirable, if a bit "trendy".