Odd Bits

karrass1

You know when you are away and see people with items and you think, "damn, i wish i had one of those" or "why didnt I think of that", well can you lovely people come up with any ideas as when we arrive next week for a weeks break, we would love to be as organized as possible. Thanks again and see you all soon!!!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Hi Karrass1. Big Hi from Ruth and I. Just to get things started. Try to wear something that will keep your phone, wallet, keys etc safe for when getting on and off your boat. Zippy pocket maybe. It might sound obvious but our previous yard owner lost 6 phones in 2 years!!!. Anyway I'm sure others will come up with a few good ideas.

Colin:default_beerchug:

Those folding shopping bags...I don't mean cheap plastic ones, STRONG ones that you can fold into your pocket. We often take a wander and end up buying 'stuff'. The number of times that 'short walk' back to the boat turns into a marathon.

A pocket torch, but only to be used in an emergency, Let your eyes get used to the 'dark' and you will be amazed how far and clearly you can see.

4 hours ago, karrass1 said:

You know when you are away and see people with items and you think, "damn, i wish i had one of those" or "why didnt I think of that", well can you lovely people come up with any ideas as when we arrive next week for a weeks break, we would love to be as organized as possible. Thanks again and see you all soon!!!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Hello Karrass1,

We always used to take with us a small frying pan, a wooden spatula  and spoon, a sharp knife and a good tin opener (just watch Robin's video to understand why).

Take a small torch in case you need one. 

Regards

Alan

We used to have a "boat box" - Mallet for any wild / broken mooring, good pair boat shoes, torch .

Small first aid kit/ emergency sewing kit, broads map, matches/ gas lighter, basic condiments - pepper mill an essential for us! -  door mat and chairs to sit out on the bank on a sunny day and watch the world go by. :default_cool:

• Like 2

Magnet on a string.  Coffee to mix with the Rum,  Whisky to mix with the tea.  Small LED torch,  poop bags for dogs,  Lead for same.  PMR Ch4,  Binoculars,  Matches,  non-stick frying pan,  2 x ply loo roll (Cheap stuff)  Indoor and outdoor microfibre cloths,  non slip footwear,  Phone charging leads,  DVD's,  Tea towels,  Deck Totty,  Beer chits,  Spare everything clothes wise in case you take an unexpected dip and most important - Best sense of humour,

Griff

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Katie said:

We used to have a "boat box"

We do exactly the same, that way we always know where everything is.

we also take a few games like dominoes, ludo etc. that don't take much space. great to pass an hour or so if moored up on a damp afternoon...... not that it ever is in Norfolk 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, deebee29 said:

We do exactly the same, that way we always know where everything is.

we also take a few games like dominoes, ludo etc. that don't take much space. great to pass an hour or so if moored up on a damp afternoon...... not that it ever is in Norfolk 

We have to have cards, spent many a time playing them waiting to get under Ludham Bridge in various hire boats - still got the old score sheets as a reminder of who was with us :55c8f94983015_default_happyparty:

• Like 2

We have started to take all our belongings to and from the boat in those supermarket style bags for life, the large sized ones with the cloth handles.  

It saves wrestling with unwieldy holdalls or suitcases trying to get through narrow passages and removes the risk of chipping the gelcoat or deck and best of all you dont need to cart them back to your car for storage as they will all fit in a drawer ready and waiting for going home. 

15 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

The most unusual and most useful thing we have aboard is a couple of those citronella burning lanterns. Light them when you sit out in the evening and the mozzies move on to the next boat

Not that unusual, we have them too. Definitely a sharp knife and, if you intend to do much cooking, a potato peeler. When we used to hire we had a 'Broads box' too, it ended up quite a large one and was eventually emptied onto our own boat when we bought it. We actually ended up taking our own kettle as some of the ones on the boats were so badly 'furred' up you ended up chewing on the scale, which was horrid! :default_sad: A good frying pan as well. 

I'm sure some of the things we have suggested will horrify the OP but these days hopefully things will be much Improved. One thing I don't think has been mentioned is a good chammy leather for condensation. The mornings can be quite chilly and trying to clear wet windows a bit of a pain.

Whatever you end up taking, have a super time and go with the flow - quite literally. There is much to enjoy on the Broads and it needs to be enjoyed at a leisurely pace. That way you don't miss anything. :default_stinky:

• Like 2