Waterstones

Poppy

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

I find the book shop in Jarrold's to be quite good, with a good selection of local interest titles. Never quite seem to be able to leave without buying something in the food hall.

You might think this is off the subject, but it isn't.

A long time ago, I went into a big record shop in Norwich and asked to buy a single by Albert Hammond, called "The Free Electric Band". Anyone remember it? It was being played all day and every day on Radio 1 and the pirate stations. 

I was told by the bird behind the counter that they didn't stock it, as it was not in the Top Twenty. When I asked how a record was supposed to get into the charts - based on record sales - if they didn't sell it, I was met by a blank stare.

I have never forgotten that moment. It taught me a lot about retail outlets.

There were a lot of records like that in those days, that were plugged so much by the radio stations, that people didn't buy the record as they could hear it all the time. So actually, a negative effect on record sales.

I have noticed the same phenomenon with Waterstones, and other global influence outlets. The only thing they have on offer is what they have decided you want to buy. If you are looking for a particular book or a particular author, you have no hope whatever unless they have decided that this is what they think will sell best. No wonder I now buy the books that I want to read, via Amazon on line!

Anyway, what about the song?? Remember it?

I was young, free and single at the time, and this hit the spot for me!

There is a myth in the book selling world that Mills and Boon don't do returns. All publishers have to put up with book sellers ordering your product, then a year down the line they return it to you...asking for a full refund. Hence cheap book outlets selling hard backs etc at knock down prices. You indeed don't see copies of Mills and Boon books in discount book stores...they use them as ballast when building motorways. Next time you are on the M25 or M6 remember you are driving along a vast repository of bodice rippers and sultry doctors!

• Like 1

Book shops in the area, I generally frequent Second hand book shops. Sadly I've never seen any by AR though

GT Yarmouth, there is a charity second hand book shop in the Arcade, massive range of books all books £1 except for a few in a couple of small cupboards out back.

Cromer, there is a secondhand book shop on New street on the left as you head north, we always go in the big selection of books.

Norwich, "City book shop", Davy Place just off the Market, new and secondhand books.

Norwich and GT Yarmouth, "The Works", New end of line books normally 1/3 of list price or less