Running Engines Are Not The Only Pest!

addicted

Not on the Broads, but it could have been, this article surely illustrates two problems, that many non dog owners don't understand either dogs or their owners, and that many dog owners don't understand people who don't own dogs.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/dog-bites-two-children-on-beach-near-scratby-1-5151379

As an aside I was in the Pound Shop yesterday and I saw a wonderful display of dog's bibs, for heavens sakes, some of which were emblazoned with 'I love my Mummy'! Read into that what you will!!

Oh wonderful. The EDP as ever.

"The incident happened near the beach at California Sands holiday park in Scratby on Monday afternoon.

One girl was bitten on the leg and the other on the bottom and both were left with visible marks. Invisible marks are so difficult to find..... but seriously this is purporting to be a "dog attack" yet the skin wasn't broken. If it had been, the marks would have been described as "Injuries" 

The mother-of-one, who is on holiday with her eight-year-old daughter and friends, said the girls were running away from the dog, believed to be a black cockapoo, “screaming for their lives.” Really???

She added: “It circled them like a shark. Oh come off it They kept still but the dog kept going to bite. Sorry, do you mean "kept biting" or "kept going to bite but didn't"

I decided to rugby tackle the dog.  errrm, how big did you say this dog was, and just how do you "rugby tackle" a dog anyway There were other little ones there and I was trying to protect the babies.”

The holidaymaker said this would not have happened in Cambridge, where dogs have to be kept on leads. Yes, Cambridge is famous for it's long sandy beaches

Police confirmed the dog’s owners had called the police to let them know their puppy had bitten two children.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now don't get me wrong here, the dog was out of control and should not have been. It should have been on a lead, especially if it was indeed a "puppy".  

Whilst I have some sympathy for the mother, who was quite rightly, trying to assess what was going on and act accordingly, I can't help but feel she's "milking it a bit" I mean!! "Circled then like a shark".

BUT MORE TO THE POINT, .....

Just how unpleasant does the EDP want to make the area seem?  Stokesby, Beccles and now California Sands. If I were reading all this I'd sell my boat and buy a caravan in down town Harlem.

• Like 4

Of course it's not the dogs who are at fault. If they've never been taught different they know no better.It's the crassly stupid selfishness of their owners that infuriates me. If you know your dog barks in a way likely to cause annoyance, for goodness sake moor somewhere away from popular moorings or leave the b****y thing at home! To own a dog is your choice and ought not be forced on those who choose not to own one. This "love me love my dog " attitude is quite simply antisocial. Regarding the boat at Oulton Broad, the racket from those dogs is quite often very invasive and having seen the boat I doubt the reason for it not being burgled has anything whatsoever to with the presence of those noisy dogs and as they never stop barking if the boat was being burgled who would recognise there was a genuine reason for them  to bark?

Carole

• Like 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

To be fair it doesn't just stop at barking. Why do a lot of dog owners seem to think that everyone will appreciate a slobbering dog jumping up at them? and they only make it worse when they say, "don't worry, he's just being friendly"  

8 minutes ago, addicted said:

Oh yes!don't get me started on my rockery bring used as  a loo for my neighbour's blasted cats!

Carole

a loo for my neighbour's cats!

Before moving house a relative of mine had a cat defecate on the roof of his car.........daily

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
2 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Before moving house a relative of mine had a cat defecate on the roof of his car.........daily

Good job they didn't leave the sun roof open :default_coat:

• 3 weeks later...

I go in a lot of houses to do surveys,  dog owners tend to say,  do you mind dogs,  they will jump up and bark a lot but won't bite.  I tend to reply,  that's okay then if you don't mind me jumping and shouting at them,  if you do mind perhaps you should put them outside. 

That works.

I gave up being subtle after being bitten three times in one year by different peoples dear little fur babies who had never bitten anyone.

I really hate Jack russells,  one little git would not let go until I had to take forceful steps.

I do find the crazy dogs have crazy owners.

I am 6'3", Big dogs are never a problem,  it is always the small breeds with an inferiority complex,  a bit like some small people,  they think they have to prove something.

My son is an Estate agent and is 6'6", he has worse problems with small dogs and some small youths.  Funny old world.

• Like 2

I had a surveyor visit last week Mark. He cheekily used my loo without asking, peeing on the toilet seat. As he wandered through to my living room, without washing his hands, The Boys sauntered in from the bedroom where they had been sleeping.
"You have dogs?"
"Yep!"
"Will they cause me an injury?"
"Depends."
"On what?"
"If you try to swallow them."
"What?"
"They'd stick in your throat."
"Can you put them somewhere where I'm not."
"Yes come this way. You wait there while I close the gate."
Five minutes later there's a tap on my bedroom window.
"Excuse me, sir I can't conduct a survey shut in your back garden. Perhaps if I came in and the dogs went out?"
"Nah!"
"Why not?"
"The dogs are house trained."

I was working in my shed today so I think the guy must have managed to climb out over next doors fence. :default_norty:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Timbo what a cheeky sod :default_cool:,   I am mostly house  trained,  I also take my shoes off without fail unless the floors are dirtier than the pavement,  then put overshoe covers on. 

I have been locked in a cellar once by a lady who had a few mental health issues but a phone call from her health team resolved the problem.

• Haha 4

Hi all just looking at this Post I just would like to say I got this Dog since he was a puppy now Six month old very small type of Dog and very affectionate type his name Benji. He's still too lively at this stage for me to take him on the Broads in October I think? It will be a shame really as He's getting a bit Obedience but He still got a long way to go thou.

Andrew Cook  

He's still too lively at this stage for me to take him on the Broads in October I think?

Gerrawaywitheesen Andrew.  All if not most of the pubs we will be visiting are dog friendly as are the 18 crew members to assist plus you two.  Also there will be Macie and Barney dogs with us to show him the ropes.

Macie Dog was onboard as a puppy at 4 x months old - (She fell in too!)

Griff

• 2 weeks later...

Boris was on board from about 17 weeks or so and Monty will be about the same. MM typical EDP with flowery embellishment really not working. The lady herself claiming to know what the dog was thinking. Going in to bite... Really ...imagine that.

All puppies bite and the inhibiting of that natural behavior is one of the most important things a puppy learns. Some folks try to pretty it up calling it mouthing. Monty is learning from us and mostly from the other dogs who yell if his toothy needles get too close to sensitive ears.

At the end of the day some folks are just afraid of dogs big and small, no need to ask why or how but the simple fact is the owners should act accordingly. But then one is asking for common sense from all concerned. Still waiting...LOL

1 hour ago, Malanka said:

Boris was on board from about 17 weeks or so and Monty will be about the same. MM typical EDP with flowery embellishment

Sorry but I have to ask, Was Boris named after Karloff, Johnson or the pet bathroom spider?