Shower Pump Recomendations

My shower waste pump has finally pumped its last drop of water, its been speeding up and slowing down for a few weeks now and today its barely doing anything , I now have a shower tray full of water that I am bailing out with a coke can with the top cut off , localish rip off chandlers opens at nine in the morning and I was planning on purchasing a Whale gulper 220, I have very limited phone signal so finding it difficult to Google anything, is this a decent enough pump or are there any alternatives I should be considering?? 

I've just replaced ours! Have a word with Sonny at Boulters.

I bought one from there and it's so quiet! The only noise you

hear is the gurgle of the last few drops of water being sucked

out of the tray. I think it was £60 but wouldn't put my life on it.

No problematic impeller's either. Can be run dry too.

Remember to ask for the quiet one if you do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks but i need one tomorrow and I'm up near Preston, the Whale is listed at £103  , I can get one cheaper online but I need one sharpish, don't mind a bit of a drive and don't mind paying for something decent and maintenance free just wondering what else might do the job ??

Seaflo sump type complete  with submersible bilge type pump and float switch. Had one on my narrowboats for years and found it very reliable, quiet and fully automatic as the float switch does all the work for you. About 55 quid if I recall correctly.

Hope this helps 

Trev

• Thanks 1

To answer your question about the Whale gulper 220 , Whale have a generally very good solid reputation amongst both the boating and caravan community. You can't really go wrong with those. They are a tenner or so cheaper on amazon for instance but, if there is one near at hand at  reasonable price, I think you will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jocave said:

Thanks but i need one tomorrow and I'm up near Preston, the Whale is listed at £103  , I can get one cheaper online but I need one sharpish, don't mind a bit of a drive and don't mind paying for something decent and maintenance free just wondering what else might do the job ??

I see that you have 3 chandlers in Preston and also one in Warrington  sadly as you say the cheapest is £103.

Have you stripped down the pump? If the motor is good they do a service kit which includes all the seals and a impeller for less than £20.00.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

And they, or something very similar and noisy are still fitted to Richo's new builds. I'm guessing the maintenance free aspect takes priority over the noise, can well see why on a hire boat.

We have a fiamm triple headed diaphragm water pressure pump, similar to the one that runs our taps and shower. 

We have a coarse filter in line, I clean it every few months, or when slow to drain.

It can run dry, fairly quiet, and drains quicker than the shower pump can fill it lol.

So... it is nearly 30 years old, still original diaphragm, last season I stripped it to see how it was fairing, and it was as clean as a whistle, valves clear, and no build up of crud.

I carry a spare water pump, that would either replace the main water pump, or double up  as a shower drain pump. I could use it as a deck wash down pump, stick a filter on it ... If I brought it home, it could replace our water harvesting pump lol.

One spare, covers lots of options.

Richard

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/08/2017 at 08:01, ranworthbreeze said:

I see that you have 3 chandlers in Preston and also one in Warrington  sadly as you say the cheapest is £103.

Have you stripped down the pump? If the motor is good they do a service kit which includes all the seals and a impeller for less than £20.00.

Regards

Alan

I took the old one in with me and the guy chuckled and said "blimey not seen one of those for a good few years" so spares are a no no , the motor itself is full of rusty water so I think its beyond fixing.

We have a whale gulper 220 on our aft shower.  I also changed the original push to make momentary switch to a solid on/off type so we can switch it on at the start of a shower then off again at the end.

As another member pointed out it can run dry with no damage and we dont find the sound that noticeable.  Not when comparing it with the large Johnson impellor pump fitted on our fwd shower drain anyway.

If and when that ever gives out it will be replaced with a whale gulper. 

• Thanks 1

All sorted managed to squeeze the Whale one in even though it was three times the size of the old one, works a treat now pumps out quicker than it fills up ,it does make a rather strange noise but at least we won't forget to turn it off..

• Like 2