First Mooring, Where?

karrass1

Ok. So, we pick up Brinks Lullaby 3 from Wroxham on Saturday. Yay!!! First time!!! The only initial plan we have is to head to Great Yarmouth. Assuming we will not have too much time to cruise on the first day/evening, can you please recommend a good first mooring, ever, on the route to Great Yarmouth, where we can walk the pooch and eat at a decent restaraunt? The darling wife and myself will be preferring not to be cooking in the evenings so any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks and cannot wait, to breathe.....

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

If it's your first time on the broads, I would maybe consider giving Yarmouth a miss. By all means vist Yarmouth , but it's always an option to moor up river and take public transport , Acle, Stracey arms , Potter Heigham . The rivers are less harsh that way , and Yarmouth is let's say " unique "   it's also a challenge boating wise for a novice.

Dont want to put you off, I've had many a good night there , but it's not really the broads , in a relaxing idyllic way.

Good luck, it's a wonderful holiday, and if you pick the right places you will come back for sure, ......then tackle Yarmouth and Breydon.!!

• Like 2

If it is your first time on the Broads I too would recommend giving Yarmouth a miss, particularly with a dog. Having moored at Yarmouth with a big fat beagle on board, just getting him safely on and off the boat was a chore at Yarmouth, someone correct me but it's a 2-3 ft rise and fall on the tide, isn't it?

For dog walks and good food...River Ant...the food is excellent at The Wayford Inn and its dog-friendly, South Walsham, Salhouse Broad...don't expect to be leaving the boatyard bang on time on the Saturday. Change over days are hectic. When last we hired from Barnes we didn't leave the yard till gone five in the afternoon.

• Like 1

I agree with what others have said about giving Yarmouth a miss on your first visit. It's a difficult mooring and a bit drab (understatement) and not really representative of the true Broads  in my opinion.

As has been suggested, I would stay North and explore the stunning Ant. & South Walsham

Salhouse would be a great choice for your first night btw. Not too far and plenty of space to exercise your dog.

Have a great time wherever you end up.

• Like 1

I do believe from posts on our Facebook page that they have reserved the last space at the New Inn. Seems a very sensible plan for first time boaters wanting to be sure of somewhere to moor and something good to eat. :)

• Like 1

Where to start, depending on what direction you take, sorry don't know the South rivers as well as the North but there's Loddon, Reedham, Bramerton, Beccles and Rockland Broad to name but a few and all stunning

If you do cross the great sea, stop a while at the Berney Arms, the view is to die for and a great spot for watching boats coming and going across Breydon or spend a night there, it's so peaceful it's almost eerie in a good way

I know not everyone will agree but Yarmouth for us is a no no, don't like the moorings or the river there, had to clamber on top of the boat to get off once, not a good look in a sundress, I can tell you :facepalm:

Grace

• Like 2

Hello David,

It is all down to which area of the Southern Broads you wish to visit first.

You could go straight across Breydon and head for St Olaves and on towards Somerleyton, Beccles  and Oulton Broads. If you are going to moor at Beccles or Oulton Broad yacht stations you had better book a mooring.

Alternatively you could branch off once over Breydon (right hand down a bit) past the Berney Arms and onto Reedham, you could go down the river Chet (into Loddon about an hours journey) or continue towards Brundall, there are a number of entrances into Rockland Broad the inlet to the staithe is almost hidden, but there are good moorings with the New Inn just across the road from the staithe.

There are 24 hour moorings just through Brundall, a path takes you up to the village. The Ferry House Inn at Surlingham is well worth a visit, again I would book a mooring.

Onto Bramerton Common (the 24 hour moorings) or just past to the Waters Edge (very good meals here but not pub grub)you can also book a mooring.

You can get all the way into Norwich and there are moorings at the yacht station.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2