Spotted For Sale

WherryNice

I note that if the purchaser wishes then a 'qualified' carpenter can finish the project. A recent and unfortunate experience with a boatyard has shown to me, once again, that carpenters and boat builders are a very different breed of woodworker. I'd be very wary of any advert for a boat that includes the word 'carpenter', or even 'joiner' I really would!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, John, I would, a time served joiner is the cause of my discontent. My daughter has a sailing cruiser, built in 1908. We had chosen to use a yard owner by a boat builder & time served joiner. He dropped several planks into the hull and made a tidy job of it so my daughter asked him to refit the cockpit & cabin, spending a hefty sum of money and it looked great! Last year the new cockpit side benches split apart and he refused to do anything about it, we also had fungus growing through a bulkhead where none had grown before. So, after what I can only call an uncomfortable discussion we took her to a yard at St Olaves. Oh dear, the report that my daughter received did not make for good reading so we invited a very well known freelance boat builder to comment and we received a similar report. Basically the joinery was of a very high standard but totally unsuited for a boat environment. Where the side benches had been joined to the cabin bulkhead nothing had been sealed, hence the fungus and rot that had developed. The seats themselves had been screwed from thin timber into thick and the supports were far to thin and the whole structure was to lightly built. As both boat builders remarked had we run into the bank the whole lot would have shifted forward. Not only that he'd fastened the whole lot through hull planking in a way that both boat builders thought was very poor practice. It has cost my daughter several hundreds of pounds to right the work of a time served joiner plus the wasted hundreds in having it fitted in the first place, an expensive lesson.

• Sad 1