Kedgeree Cooking On The Corsican Part 28 ...

CheshireCat

Geoffrey that looks delicious, and it brings back many happy memories!

When I was in the Army, the officers' mess in Marchwood used to hold a Curry Lunch once a month on a Sunday morning, when all the old retired colonels from the Southampton area, honorary members of the mess, could come and enjoy curry that was hot enough to melt its way through the table, while they bored us all with their old stories of "When I was last up the Irrawaddy!"

Us young Subalterns who didn't like curry always had the choice of kedgeree instead, and it was delicious. Happy memories!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

When I was in the Army, the officers' mess in Marchwood used to hold a Curry Lunch once a month on a Sunday morning, when all the old retired colonels from the Southampton area, honorary members of the mess, could come and enjoy curry that was hot enough to melt its way through the table, while they bored us all with their old stories of "When I was last up the Irrawaddy!"

Off topic, sorry !  My father in law kept his boat at Marchwood in the old military site.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grendel said:

I would think it fantastic, apart from containing fish - to which I have an allergy, can it be made with chicken or some such as a substitute? (my mother is allergic to anything containing vitamin D)

Hi Peter,

I would have thought you could have substituted the fish for chicken or beef, I would fully cook the chicken or beet fully before adding to the other ingredients. Usually I cook chicken in water prior to putting into a stir  fry.

Regards

Alan

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 18:02, Vaughan said:

Geoffrey that looks delicious, and it brings back many happy memories!

Us young Subalterns who didn't like curry always had the choice of kedgeree instead, and it was delicious. Happy memories!

Thanks Vaughan so glad you enjoyed it and that it invoked good memories for you , hope all is good with you and yours ...

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 15:04, Hylander said:

Looks fantastic as per usual.     You have a lovely home Geoffrey you and Austin.      Do hope you get the boat back sooner than later and that you will be out and about again.

Thanks as always Hylander we did get the boat back on Friday still got a small problem with the fuel but it is back at Moonfleet / Simpsons till Friday so we will keep out fingers crossed ...

• Sad 1

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 19:27, grendel said:

I would think it fantastic, apart from containing fish - to which I have an allergy, can it be made with chicken or some such as a substitute? (my mother is allergic to anything containing vitamin D)

Thanks Grendel , it is a very nice dish , so you could go down the vegetarian rout and I will leave that to your imagination as there's so many vegetables that would work , As for Beef of Chicken yes on problems so here's what to do slice you meat in to thin strips oil in pan let it heat the add your meat Stir fry for 5 minutes add onions and stir fry 3 minutes add curry past and just follow the receipt as in the vlog and will be lovely ...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Polly said:

I love kedgeree, but worry about reheating rice, so it's never a breakfast now, but makes an awesome lunch.

Like the fish boil and leave advice too.

So Polly lets see if I can help you with your rice issue , if you have made rice the night before as long as you let it dry out and cool put it in a sealed container in the fridge over night you really have nothing to worry about just make sure like I do in the video you heat the rice threw thoroughly hope this helps you Polly ...

Speaking of Rice.   When I make Spanish Rice I always make too much and I pop the left over rice into a vacuum sealed bag and freeze it.   Well we are still here and have been using this method of keeping the rice for years so must be ok.   I do reheat in the oven after adding a tablespoon of water and make sure it is really hot right through.

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 13:38, Hylander said:

Speaking of Rice.   When I make Spanish Rice I always make too much and I pop the left over rice into a vacuum sealed bag and freeze it.   Well we are still here and have been using this method of keeping the rice for years so must be ok.   I do reheat in the oven after adding a tablespoon of water and make sure it is really hot right through.

It is a very good way to do it make sure the rice is really dry and cool bag it up in portions freeze it then when you need one just take it out let it defrost and pop it in the microwave in the bag and 90 seconds to 2 minutes depending how powerful your microwave is kills any bacteria in the rice so hope that helps some of you ....

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 08:10, Hylander said:

I have never thought of popping it in the microwave so thank you for the tip.   I use those Zip Lock bags so they would be ok.

Just open the bag a little before microwaving 850 watt will need 2 minutes 900 watt and above 90 seconds will be lovely enjoy cheers ...

14 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Just open the bag a little before microwaving 850 watt will need 2 minutes 900 watt and above 90 seconds will be lovely enjoy cheers ...

Good thinking.    I will tell you a tale about a lovely lady who lived opposite us well into her 90s , she now resides in a Residential Care Home,   one day she decided to use the microwave and popped in a chicken dish in a foil tray,   well you can picture the scene when it not only started arcing but blew the entire door off of the microwave.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hylander said:

Good thinking.    I will tell you a tale about a lovely lady who lived opposite us well into her 90s , she now resides in a Residential Care Home,   one day she decided to use the microwave and popped in a chicken dish in a foil tray,   well you can picture the scene when it not only started arcing but blew the entire door off of the microwave.

I did once accidentally put something in my own microwave that had a thin foil strip I never saw , well I started the microwave going and instantly sparks were a flying bangs were a banging and I jumped six foot in the air luckily I managed to open the door very quickly and stop the microwave going , no damage was done and I am now very careful about anything I ever put in mine ...

4 hours ago, Hylander said:

Just a thought,  have you got the boat back now?

Yes we got it back last Friday but it had to go back in just to have a small repair got it again on Friday all done and dusted it looks fantastic , the new steering is so good and they done a great job of everything ells , the only thing I am not looking forward to is the bill , so she is now back at Acle after six weeks and I am glad about that as I do miss her when she is not there ... 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Hylander said:

I recall Phil and the bill.   Perhaps you will need to sit down when it arrives.  Glad you are well pleased they do do a great job

They do , I will do a walk round sometime showing all the work Phil and the boys have done it is a different boat inside to the one we bought , but we still have one or two jobs to do but we need to save up some more money ....

• Like 1

This weeks vlog will be here soon This is a must watch episode first you get a walk round Simpsons Boat Yard as we pick up The Corsican after five weeks of work being carried out there , then you get the French Onion Soup , then as a treat I show my quick and easy Potato Salad  that is like three vlogs in one ...

• Like 2