Berney Arms 1960

JennyMorgan

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ok, I'll rise to the bait...Wouldn't that mean that a "Bus Station" is really a "Road station"?

What's that make a bus depot, or a bus stop then? :default_tongue:

Just now, Snowy said:

My favourite line.... my great grandfather and my grandfather both lived here till they died

Absolute classic.       Also did you notice every time the old chap was asked a question ,  do you go to the pub , it was no,   do you associate socially with your neighbours - no.      Wonderful.      Such a shame a time never to be regained.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the pleasure of meeting the family in the 70's.

We had a facinating chat and he told me how they used to comunicate across the marshes by positioning the windmill sails in certain positions  ..... unless, of course, he was spinning me a right ol yarn which them ther good ol Norfick bouys are pretty good at!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, smellyloo said:

I had the pleasure of meeting the family in the 70's.

We had a facinating chat and he told me how they used to comunicate across the marshes by positioning the windmill sails in certain positions  ..... unless, of course, he was spinning me a right ol yarn which them ther good ol Norfick bouys are pretty good at!

Lou, how do you think the locals avoided the Fuzz! 

Lovely stuff, blook wot tork propper!

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ok, I'll rise to the bait...Wouldn't that mean that a "Bus Station" is really a "Road station"?

When I lived in Harlow ( you'll know that place MM ) the buses used to start and finish in Terminus Street - where the Bus Station was.....

Traditionally a bus station is where omnibuses become stationary.

Railway stations  are where railway trains  become stationary, not camel trains or  trains of thought...

Similarly unlike the duty womble said on the news the other day the When Peppercorn A1 class Tornado, Visited Great Yarmouth she is a railway Locomotive, not a train as the  idiot said.. and not a road locomotive..

Also technically a railway locomotive is not a railway engine, because the engine on a railway locomotive is the pistons, cylinders and valve gear, which is mounted  on a chassis with a boiler and all the other gubbins to make the Locomotive..

Yacht stations, I think that quite nicely backs up my position.:5_smiley:

I think the only reason "train stations" came about was reporters / newsreaders trying to save one syllable off of their reports.

I saw a remake of Colditz not long ago, the British officer said train stations on that, which he would never have done,  but would have called it a railway station.

11 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Yacht stations, I think that quite nicely backs up my position.:5_smiley:

I think the only reason "train stations" came about was reporters / newsreaders trying to save one syllable off of their reports.

I saw a remake of Colditz not long ago, the British officer said train stations on that, which he would never have done,  but would have called it a railway station.

It's another example of the 'Americanisation' of OUR language !

http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/railway station.asp

"When one raises the use of the phrase “train station”, thoughtless people will frequently reply that as one goes to a bus station to get on a bus, plainly one ought to go to a train station to catch a train. This is simplistic and doesn't stand up to logic. Do you go to a petrol station to catch some petrol? No, you don't. You put some petrol in your car and it's the car that carries you away. You might as well talk about “car stations.....”

• Like 1

For those of us from GWR area a Halt was an unmanned  stop, whether it was a request halt, or a programmed halt. normally with a sleeper built platform and a tin shed for shelter

The shortest lived halt, I believe, was at Sutton Staithe, it lasted less than 2 years... which I think didn't get a real platform or shelter..

5 minutes ago, Poppy said:

It's another example of the 'Americanisation' of OUR language !

http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/railway station.asp

"When one raises the use of the phrase “train station”, thoughtless people will frequently reply that as one goes to a bus station to get on a bus, plainly one ought to go to a train station to catch a train. This is simplistic and doesn't stand up to logic. Do you go to a petrol station to catch some petrol? No, you don't. You put some petrol in your car and it's the car that carries you away. You might as well talk about “car stations.....”

That's it I'm now a grumpy old sod, agreed with almost everything he said.

Which reminds me I must send off for my military pension..

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Which reminds me I must send off for my military pension..

Yeah - don't forget.  

It was great when mine came through.  

I had totally forgotten about the lump sum.

Left the Raf 30 years ago.  Had to wait till 60 to get the pension.

I left 1988  so almost 30 years, it's the best pension they did, AFPS 75, they reduced it when AFPS 05 came in and it's been reduced again  with AFPS 15.

It's nowhere near enough to retire on, as I was medically down graded and booted out after 12 years.