Hunters Wood Anemone - Static

Londonlad1985

This is a short tail of 1 night on a static Hunters Sailing Boat.

It all started in the off office some months ago  - my boss knowing my liking of the Norfolk Broads forwarded me a link from air b&b to book a static stay in with Hunters.

It was a great coincidence as i was looking to book our annual lads get away with 2 chaps i went to school with. We often camp and take in an airshow or do some fishing, but this time I couldn't resist the call of the broads.

Some furious WhatsApping later it turned out our weekends were limited and 1 of the trio was booked all summer already! 1 night was booked (19th August) for 2 of us! "How romantic" the WAGS shouted.

Fast forward from this point and i am on the east coast main line to Peterborough from Finsbury Park on a dreary Friday the 18th August in rush hour. Not an auspicious start. My mate lives in Peterborough and we were to drive east on the Saturday Morning! As he has a hot tub and its summer this all seemed very agreeable and some hours later it had turned into a party and we were all splashing around watching the shooting stars and drinking beer!  (There is a whole other blog to be written about that evening another time).

3 hours sleep later and I awoke on the living room floor and thanked my lucky stars i was off to do nothing for at least 24 hours!

We set off around half 10 and stopped for a hangover cure at Cambridge services. The drive was relatively uneventful except a few traffic hold ups and a satnav detour to avoid it which lead us down a private drive and then into an unbuilt housing estate in Heathersett that over withvwe were soon whizzing (crawling) through wroxham and crossing Ludham Bridge!

I'd forgotten how far Hunters yard is from the public staithe. We passed the lovely properties and were confronted by an ambulance blocking the way. I understand someone had slippe on their boat on the BA moorings. Unfortunately i couldn't find out of there were OK. So i wish them well here.

Once into the yard. We made our way into the shed and i was confronted with a living working museum! There are information boards among side boats undergoing restoration. If you have time i can thoroughly recommend sticking your nose in.

Here we met Vikki our airb&b "host" she was watching some kerfuffle with a cruiser that had go into some difficulty at the entrance to the dyke. It seemingly resolved it's self and we were shown to Wood Anemone. Built in 1949 she was a comparative youngster the last to be built by the family as i understand it.

Despite her immaturity i was suitably impressed there was almost an ecclesiastical feel to the vessel with the maroon bedding and pew like benches.

Vikki had asked us what we were up to for the day and we explains we planned to drown a few maggots (we are enthusiastic amateurs wielding Argos tackle!) We were told you can't usually fish in the dyke but were told it would be OK if we were careful. I was impressed with the pragmatic approach and General relaxed atmosphere around the place. 

At this point I would normally have a look round the boat however my mate being 6ft odd

Went 1st and apparently tried to smash a new sun roof with his bonse several times! It looked painful so naturally I laughed my head off as any good mate would@ :D

It was then off to PH and Lathams for beer and maggots, as this was my mate's 1st time in the area I Felt Lathams was a must. He was suitablly impressed purchasing some revolting looking "Norfolk" wine for the wife.

We'd planned to some fishing and walked up to the BA moorings for a go 15 mins later the sky darkened and i could see a wall of water advancing accross the reeds. Another 15 minutes later we were on Wood Anemone wondering why we thought this would be a good idea! .

We managed a few sporadic casts between showered and Vikki came to give us a fantastic history book about Hunters and a DVD which i am yet to watch. She also advised  of a monster in the Dyke that we might try to catch.... watch this space!

The leisurely afternoon flew by as is the way with time in Norfolk.

More to follow! IMG-20170819-WA0006.jpeg

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 6

We made our way to the Kings Arms for dinner! I've not eaten here before so i was unsure what to expect foodwise.

I'd booked at table earlier that day on some good advice as when we arrived it was heaving and there was an hour to wait for food. We settled in for a drink and perused the menu. I had garlic chicken and my mate had pizza. The portions were good and the prices reasonable. The waiting staff were very friendly and attentive.

Some ales and vino later we retired dodging the potholes down the lane to the yard. I was glad to crawl into my bunk!

We arose late and drove to Potter Heigham for bacon in bread from the van and a quick stop in Lathams for a tea towel as I'd forgotton mine and bream slime is none to pleasant wothout a cloth!! 

We made our way back to the yard and and bagged a decent haul in the dyke I got a decent 6lb odd bream which i am optimistically sure must be the "monster" Vikki mentioned!

Again we proved a bit of a novelty and many sailing boaters came over for a chat. It was a vert friendly atmosphere and the weather was lovely so there were plenty of people coming and going!

We had to vacate the boat by 11 but as the yard is not really staffed i got the impression if you wanted a lay in you could have one!  As the tide changed things slackened off so we moved to the wild mooring near the Thurne a few more skimmers done it was back to the car and then to Peterborough where i caught the train back to the big smoke!

I would recommend this as a break and I think Air B&B is a great innovative move for Hunter's.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

We made our way to the Kings Arms for dinner! I've not eaten here before so i was unsure what to expect foodwise.

I'd booked at table earlier that day on some good advice as when we arrived it was heaving and there was an hour to wait for food. We settled in for a drink and perused the menu. I had garlic chicken and my mate had pizza. The portions were good and the prices reasonable. The waiting staff were very friendly and attentive.

Some ales and vino later we retired dodging the potholes down the lane to the yard. I was glad to crawl into my bunk!

We arose late and drove to Potter Heigham for bacon in bread from the van and a quick stop in Lathams for a tea towel as I'd forgotton mine and bream slime is none to pleasant wothout a cloth!! 

We made our way back to the yard and and bagged a decent haul in the dyke I got a decent 6lb odd bream which i am optimistically sure must be the "monster" Vikki mentioned!

Again we proved a bit of a novelty and many sailing boaters came over for a chat. It was a vert friendly atmosphere and the weather was lovely so there were plenty of people coming and going!

We had to vacate the boat by 11 but as the yard is not really staffed i got the impression if you wanted a lay in you could have one!  As the tide changed things slackened off so we moved to the wild mooring near the Thurne a few more skimmers done it was back to the car and then to Peterborough where i caught the train back to the big smoke!

I would recommend this as a break and I think Air B&B is a great innovative move for Hunter's.

Can you please put the link on here, I've typed in google airbnb or airb&b and all I can see is America !

bit far to go just for a night !