Five Star Rating

JennyMorgan

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

How can people re-build a buisness if their trade is driven away by a lower grade than an equivalent around the corner

Very simple, they take the advice of the hygiene inspector, they do what ever is needed to bring their kitchen, procedures and staff up to scratch then apply to be retested as soon as possible. Once they get a much improved score, they proudly display it prominently on the door to show they are serious about peoples health and hygiene and then hopefully trade returns.

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

If i get a recommendation from someone, i`l give it a try and form my own opinion. If i`m happy with the food and service, i`l go back, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 star.

So your quite happy to take a recommendation from someone, just as long as it's not a recommendation from a professional who's business it is to make sure the public are kept safe from food poisoning? :facepalm::shocked

• Like 3

Sorry here I go again as a caterer  it is not to hard to get a good mark.Its based on a number of points.For example as I said ,food stored safe and apart in date cooked to the correct temp.One restaurant  well used be stars refused to cook there burgers above 70c ie served rare therefore  there mark was 3.Some outlets don't have hand washing areas in kitchens.Its 2016 not 1916.It really is not hard to get 4 plus.Most of it is good house keeping .If outlets  are prepared  to make an effort Then fair  play to them.Some however  don't seem to make an effort 

• Like 5

I find this one very useful, Ian

https://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/

For example I typed in "South Norfolk" and "2 or lower" and this came up:

https://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/search.php?client_id=366&name=&address=&postcode=&distance=&search.x=27&search.y=13&gbt_id=0&award_score=fhrs2&award_range=lt

If you click the rating number at the top it gives you the overall list... I didn't even know that you could get a 0!

18 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Peter is right anything less then 3 is unacceptable  as a chef with many years in the trade it is not to hard to get at least 4.I would not go near any pub restaurant  or shop that had 1 to 3.

Ian

Pops no more thai for you then ;)

https://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/thai-on-the-river--1023725.html

Seems like many popular places are struggling for whatever reasons.. Sadly doesn't seem there's much we can do.. A few of my favourites up there seem to be struggling.. but all honestly I've never been sick from them so will probably still go there.

Got to say that I have eaten at the Waveney and thought it perfectly reasonable. However, having been shown the kitchen and preparation areas, and unless these have since been improved, I can understand them not having a five. In the meantime, out of preference, we use the Wherry, the Commodore and Broadland Holiday Village. 

Perhaps part of the problem is that a number of pubs were never built to include much in the way of catering facilities. Catering has always been very secondary to drinking thus some kitchens are both small and fragmented, making use of odd spaces between the bars & bogs. That some of these pubs produce good food is sometimes something of a miracle in my unqualified opinion!

I guess there's nothing wrong with striving for hygeine excellence but surely a premice is either good enough to remain open OR it is closed? Compulsory Display of the "star" rating will only confuce most and might well be mistaken for a mark of quality. Best to leave as it is and allow people to inquire.

So .... when all restaurants and pubs reach that perfect hygeine score what will all the inspectors do next ...... Rate our domesic kitchens for hygeine? I'm guessing that will uncover a horrendous pit of nasties, Still eating dirt & germs never did me any harm .............. or maybe it did?

• Like 2

Part of the problem is that not enough members of the public understand what the scheme is actually for, therefore leading to the confusion over whether it relates to quality or taste of food, or even value for money. If the scheme was given more publicity by having a standard size logo on the door of every premises selling food to the public, more people would take the time to understand what it means for them more fully.

Food poisoning and shoddy practise within the food industry can and does kill.

Food for thought,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30954210

• Like 2

Interesting comments on this thread. Some prove the view that there will always be support for poor businesses regardless of professional judgements and the experience of others. It's the same with boat yards........

• Like 3

One significant section of the inspector's marking will be based on 'confidence in management'.  I am not blowing my own trumpet, as I had little to do with it, but when we took over at Letton, my wife met with the inspector and our rating was immediately raised to 3, as the inspector could see this was a manager who meant business had a good understanding of and was intending to address the issues. When our new colleagues joined us, another member of the team scheduled significant improvements in line with advice received and we now have a 5 - although we actually know we can still do better!  I am sure what fails a lot of businesses, is the inspectors simply don't see that attitude and therefore can't express that confidence.

• Like 2

One thing that nobody has thought of, it`s fine to publically humiliate a buisness with a stupid star rating, and say"i won`tgo in there, it`s only 1 or 2 star", yet i wonder just exactly how THEIR kitchen would rate if that same inspector did a check on it?.  Several posts above prove my very point. If an eatery passes the hygene standards with 1 star, quite simply THEY`VE PAST, and that IS shouting, how much louder do you have to shout to make the bandwagon jumpers understand, the inspectors have PASSED IT. If it did`nt pass, it would be shut down imediately with a time limit to carry out improvements, or face continual closure. No i agree with Warp, leave the star game Michelin.

I will say another thing, "The Happy Buddah" at Loddon,  1 star,  been in there several times, and guess what, i`ve never had a bad meal from them, and never been ill afterwards either.

My last point mike make some feel ill, and it`s the point i`m trying to make. A one time friend of mine was a trained chef, worked in a very eclusive quality restaurant in Kent, and was always picking his nose, and scratching his ****, WITHOUT washing his hands. Now just think about all those 5 star restaurants that have all the correct food seperation systems, storage systems, preperation and cooking systems. It all counts for NOTHING if their staff have extremely poor PERSONAL hygene standards.

I hope i`ve made my point?.

Oh, and if i fancy a Chinese when moored in Loddon, i`l still go to the Happy Buddah.

Speedtriple, thank you for illustrating my point so wonderfully. It's not a pass or fail system. See the general public DO need more education on what the grading system is and how it works. They are not stars by the way, just a rating of hygiene.

0 Urgent improvement necessary. Such places will be monitored more regularly and are very close to being shut down.

1 Major improvement necessary.

2 Improvement necessary.

3 Generally satisfactory.

4 Good.

5 Very good.

Each to their own, but I would think twice before buying from any establishment that falls below 4, especially when people in the catering trade have highlighted that it doesn't take too much to reach a 5. This to me means that those that don't, don't give a toss about hygiene or your health. Why in that case would you give them money to treat you in such a shoddy way? If they don't care about my health, I don't care about their wealth!!!!! Simples really.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, kfurbank said:

Speedtriple, thank you for illustrating my point so wonderfully. It's not a pass or fail system. See the general public DO need more education on what the grading system is and how it works. They are not stars by the way, just a rating of hygiene.

0 Urgent improvement necessary. Such places will be monitored more regularly and are very close to being shut down.

1 Major improvement necessary.

2 Improvement necessary.

3 Generally satisfactory.

4 Good.

5 Very good.

Each to their own, but I would think twice before buying from any establishment that falls below 4, especially when people in the catering trade have highlighted that it doesn't take too much to reach a 5. This to me means that those that don't, don't give a toss about hygiene or your health. Why in that case would you give them money to treat you in such a shoddy way? If they don't care about my health, I don't care about their wealth!!!!! Simples really.

I think you`re STILL missing the point Keith. The very fact they are still open, obviously means the food is safe. It may not be as fancyful as a 5 star, but it IS SAFE, if it WAS`NT they`d close the place down imediately. I`m all for closing down eastery who`s standards are that bad the food si`nt safe, or is downright dangerous to eat, but to publically criticise an eastablishment because it only has one star is in my mind disgraceful.

And as i` said above, i wonder how many people contributing to THIS thread have food WRONGLY stored in their fridges at home, and use the same sink for preparing food, AND washing up, or washing hands, AND do they have full stainless steel food preperation areas in their kitchens?. Now does that make my point, or more importantly, will those who criticise be honest enough and say where their failings are in the kitchen?..

And for anybody tempted to answer this post by saying they follow strict hygene rules EVERY time, remember, your boat whether owned or hired, only has 1 sink in the galley.

11 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I think you`re STILL missing the point Keith. The very fact they are still open, obviously means the food is safe. It may not be as fancyful as a 5 star

I think your missing the point, the food doesn't have to be fanciful to get a 5 rating, it has to be prepared in a kitchen that follows strict hygiene guidelines and best practices, whether that's good old fish and chips, or a posh restaurant meal, or even a cake and coffee.

Having carried out a fair bit of electrical work in both hotel a resteraunt kitchens, the amount of stainless steel in view, the different fridges and freezers with digital temp showing, in the modern eateries, there should be no excuse not to be at least 3 but in truth 4 or 5 with all the modern equipment available to keep food fresh and in its proper place.

cheersIain

• Like 2

The rating system does not relate to the quality of food, rather it relates to hygiene. The Waveney at Oulton Broad appears to be rated as a 1 yet it's food quality is excellent, witness earlier comments. However the nearby Lady of the Lake has a 5 & the food is also excellent. It's all down to choice . . . . . . . . 

Yes I do monitor my fridge  temperature but thats my risk and neither am I asking others to share my food nor am I selling it!! Nor do I open it and leave it open when getting stuff in and out - it seems quite a reasonable idea that temperatures are logged. If I am in hospital it is,  so how come a busy chef does not bother - its his JOB!

This is an incredibly silly thread the way I see it! How can anyone eat in a place that sells food and is not rated at least 3 or more? With the greatest of respect, you get what you deserve!!!

We have suffered too long in this country with second rate food establishments and perhaps this explains why!! I just cannot believe some of the comments here saying a 1 is a Pass - no it denotes that it is just one step better than outrageously filthy! And still the posters ignore the comments of the professionals who take time to show what little is required to get the ratings up to acceptable levels.

All I can say is that I have to agree with PW yet again - now see where you have driven me!

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

You can loose one star for just not having fridge/freezer temp logs up to date (3 times daily thet should be logged) think about that one.................... do you log your fridge#/freezer temps into a log daily???? as home no thought so

Exactly, it`s just one point i was trying to make above, as does Peters (JM) . I sometimes dispair at the fact that people still can`t see a 1 star as a pass, even though it`s not a 5 star. It comes back to what i sadi above, if it`s not fit to eat, because of por hygene, IT WILL NOT PASS AND IT WILL BE CLOSED SOWN UNTILL RECTIFIED, With 1 star, THE FOOD IS SAFE, SAFE TO EAT. And yes, i`l still eat at the Waveney too, just like the happy Buddah.

• Like 1