Five Star Rating

JennyMorgan

A few moons ago, we were daft enough to purchase "food" from the awful chippy in Potter Heigham. The service was abysmal and the "food" inedible. Utterly vile...even the seagulls turned their beaks up at it. It was THAT bad.

It comes as no surprise, therefore, to learn that the hygeine rating there is also poor.
We have never returned and have no intention of doing so in the future.

• Like 1

We've eaten at the fish and chip  restaurant in Potter Heigham only once (about 2 years ago) having been invited to go with friends who used it regularly and thought very highly of  it. I wasn't expecting The Ivy or Quaglinos, it was a fish and chip shop. nothing more and nothing less. I had pan fried fish as opposed to battered deep fried which I thought was a very good option to be offered and which was perfectly cooked and delicious, the chips were o.k. too even  the wine was the right side of passable. and the service was good. We haven't been back since, no reflection on the establishment , the occasion just hasn't arisen

. In our village we have a fish and chip shop owned by the award winning Petrou brothers and I must say that Potter Heigham was infinitely better. the worst \we have ever had was Harry Ramsdens in  G. Y. rivalled for ghastliness only by the one on The Street Brundall.

Regards,

Carole

I have to say to Carole and Rincwind that the quality of the food, service, etc has nothing at all to do with the Hygine rating. 

I am sure you are aware of that, but when reference is made to these things when discussing the hygiene rating of an establishment it means nothing at all so should not come into the equation.

You could have the most terrible tasting food with a rude service and think to yourself you'd never set food in the door again based upon your experience, but the hygiene of the place might be rated 5. Equally you might have the most lovely food, cooked to perfection with a friendly service and the place have a 0 rating for hygiene.

Taking the 'Potter Fish Bar' as an example, In order to only have been awarded a rating of 0 they have:

Poor structural compliance - The structure of the establishment (including cleanliness, layout, condition of structure, lighting, ventilation, facilities etc.) Obtaining a bad result here shows a general failure to satisfy statutory obligations – standards generally low.

Food hygiene and safety procedures - The food hygiene and safety procedures (including food handling practices and procedures, and temperature control), and, are assessed using the scoring system Obtaining a bad result shows a general failure to satisfy statutory obligations – standards generally low.

Confidence in management - The actual performance of management is scored in on the basis of the results achieved and observed. A management that achieves good food hygiene performance, well understood by the workforce, should have achieved a good score.  No confidence = Poor track record of compliance. Little or no technical knowledge.Little or no appreciation of hazards or quality control. No food safety management system.

So, as you can see behind the rating there is a great deal going on (or not) and it is not just about how food may be kept or prepared but other important factors too.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I have to say to Carole and Rincwind that the quality of the food, service, etc has nothing at all to do with the Hygine rating. 

I am sure you are aware of that, but when reference is made to these things when discussing the hygiene rating of an establishment it means nothing at all so should not come into the equation.

You could have the most terrible tasting food with a rude service and think to yourself you'd never set food in the door again based upon your experience, but the hygiene of the place might be rated 5. Equally you might have the most lovely food, cooked to perfection with a friendly service and the place have a 0 rating for hygiene.

Taking the 'Potter Fish Bar' as an example, In order to only have been awarded a rating of 0 they have:

Poor structural compliance - The structure of the establishment (including cleanliness, layout, condition of structure, lighting, ventilation, facilities etc.) Obtaining a bad result here shows a general failure to satisfy statutory obligations – standards generally low.

Food hygiene and safety procedures - The food hygiene and safety procedures (including food handling practices and procedures, and temperature control), and, are assessed using the scoring system Obtaining a bad result shows a general failure to satisfy statutory obligations – standards generally low.

Confidence in management - The actual performance of management is scored in on the basis of the results achieved and observed. A management that achieves good food hygiene performance, well understood by the workforce, should have achieved a good score.  No confidence = Poor track record of compliance. Little or no technical knowledge.Little or no appreciation of hazards or quality control. No food safety management system.

So, as you can see behind the rating there is a great deal going on (or not) and it is not just about how food may be kept or prepared but other important factors too.  

point taken,

Regards,

Carole

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

On the BBC web site is the photo below, alongside the words - some of the amazing things  you can get at the Chip Shop - you can imagine what I was thinking.

FriedFood.jpg

I fancy fish and chips tonight?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Cor blimey Iain that's made my mouth water that looks Awesome .:party::party:

I have been informed, that yes, it  did taste awesome ! :) They have just returned from a fortnight up there, and are now both going on diets ! :naughty:

• Like 1

Ok, I have a genuine question.

If a pub's only food is chips for example and as such does not have a full set of chopping boards, would that effect his 'rating' ?

I had been thinking that if I were to run a pub, I would start off only selling cheese ploughman's lunches. It can be argued that there is nothing in a ploughman's that should be stored in a refrigarator. Would I loose points for not having one?

Just wondered.

2 hours ago, Tangara said:

Must admit never had a bad meal in the Yare, only issue I have had are the state / condition of the toilets, maybe they have upgraded them since easter, or are they not part of the inspection :hardhat:

cheers

Ray & Carole

The Yare gets a FIVE, Ray................................:shocked

Business Name
The Yare Public House
Business Type
Pub/bar/nightclub
Postcode
NR13 5PL
Rating Date
8/11/2015
Rating