Five Star Rating

JennyMorgan

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:37 PM, MauriceMynah said:

Ok, I have a genuine question.

If a pub's only food is chips for example and as such does not have a full set of chopping boards, would that effect his 'rating' ?

I had been thinking that if I were to run a pub, I would start off only selling cheese ploughman's lunches. It can be argued that there is nothing in a ploughman's that should be stored in a refrigarator. Would I loose points for not having one?

Just wondered.

Maurice to the best of my knowledge there is no limit on the amount of chopping boards you need, or must have. The basis of food hygiene are that you observe the 4 Cs.

Cross-Contamination If only cooking chips then only one, or maybe no chopping boards are needed, if using a mechanical spud peeler and chipper.

Cleaning Self explanatory

Chilling Would have thought cheese for the ploughman's should be chilled, therefore yes a fridge is needed. A point often overlooked by some older members of the population, including my own parents is that food production methods have changed based upon the assumption that everyone now has access to a fridge. When butter was left in the kitchen cupboard, rather than the fridge, it had a lot more salt and preservative in it. I remember those days and it was much easier to spread. Today butter should be kept in the fridge, as it is produced and designed to be kept there now days. Cheese likewise. I remember the days of cheese going hard on the edge and you just cut the edge of and threw that bit away. Today's cheese is different.and likely to go sticky around the edge, then mouldy. If foods are delivered chilled, dairy deliveries will be, then they need to be kept chilled.

Cooking Argueably not applicable if only producing ploughmans.

Sorry Keith, once again I haven't made my point clear. If I am not using raw meats, would I be marked down for not having the appropriate equipment for those raw meats, on the grounds that I might change the nature of my operation at any time. I know what common sense dictates, but do the government officials apply common sense to their rulings?

I chose 'chips' and the ploughmans as examples, I'm sure if I put my mind to it I could think of others.

2 hours ago, kfurbank said:

When butter was left in the kitchen cupboard, rather than the fridge, it had a lot more salt and preservative in it.

Sorry again, but I'm not sure you are right there.

My final disagreement is the keeping of cheese in a fridge. The purists will rush to tell you that cheese should be kept at a cool and stable temperature. To quote Paxton & Whitfield... (I would remind you that the standard setting for the modern refridgerator is 4c

Some cheeses are best kept cool, others need a warmer environment; it depends on the type of cheese and its stage of maturity. Most hard cheeses that arrive with you will be fine at 8 degrees centigrade to 15 degrees centigrade, at warmer temperatures they will continue to mature; a cool, humid cellar would be perfect, or any unheated part of the house that has a constant temperature between 8 &15 degrees centigrade. Soft and blue cheeses need to be stored at low temperatures, preferably in a refrigerator between 5 & 8 degrees centigrade.

However, my original question still simmers in the background

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Soft and blue cheeses need to be stored at low temperatures, preferably in a refrigerator between 5 & 8 degrees centigrade.

Not to mention the temperature of the plate that the said Ploughman is presented to the customer. In years passed at all Toby Carverys I have had the Cheese or the Ham ones, the apple arrived on the plate cold as in chilled.

The modern kitchens fridges are tested by the inspectors, I have been present in a hotel kitchen when these inspectors turn up unanounced. They are very severe on the cooked uncooked seperations, but never seen any problens regarding cheese.

cheersIain

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Tangara said:

Thats good news Howard, as we are staying there next week will give it a try and see what its like, just hope the staff attitude has improved as found them rather unhelpful last time we tried it :facepalm:

cheers

Ray & Carole

Tell them one of your infamous jokes, Ray....that should cut the ice no problem at all ! :naughty:

• Like 2

the wherrymans may have achieved 5 but since they now close at 4.30 pm no longer figure in our itinerary

getting 5 must be fairly easy , the number of roadside burger bars i use for lunch ,all over the country seem to have 5 on display

• Like 1

If you open a pub restaurant  shop etc you must reach certain  standards  it is not just put out there for the state of it,it is for your safety. SO IF you are only serving meat you must have red chopping broads for raw meat yellow  for cooked .I could gone on.To get 5 is not hard.For example where I am working currently  we have 5 how

much  my company  myself  included  aim higher 

• Like 4

Well arrived in Wroxham this afternoon, walked around to the Wherryman all very smart, went inside and joy of joys same grumpy lady as last time, no greeting or any thing only "eating in or out", said we are staying at the apartment on the corner, could we kindly borrow a menu so we can decide  what to eat tonight, no dont have enough you cant take one, noticed big pile on counter, not a hygiene issue true but customer relations issue for sure, guess where we wont be patronising any time soon.

fish and chips from the chinese were excellent tho :party:

cheers

Ray & Carole

Guess so, sad really,  just wanted to show Carole whats on offer, as she really didnt want to struggle round to see  the board outside, they don't even have a menu in the apartment handbook which seems a bit short sighted, anyway their loss, plenty of other places to spend our cash :party:

cheers

Ray & Carole

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

As to Looking at another Thread called Norwich Landmark on the River to Go . As to this Floating Chinese's Floating Boat Restaurant near Norwich has not got Five Star Rating as to my Fish and Chip Shop called High Tide in Upminster Essex has got Five Star Rating that cooks Fresh Fish and Chip either take away or Eat in there very nice  Restaurant  and does what I requested not a lot Batter on the Fish I order as they are very good of doing that for me. As to this Floating Chinese's Boat with out any Rating I believe? That should be taken out to Sea and use it for Navel Target Practise or Blow it up by Griff lol I wonder if any of the NBN Forum knows how many Pubs with Restaurants or Cook Food on there premises have Five Star Rating or any Rating at all around the Norfolk Broads?

Andrew Cook    

• Like 1

On 31/05/2016 at 14:21, kfurbank said:

Sorry Maurice, but rather than play Russian roulette with my health, why wouldn't I just rely on the opinion of the paid expert, who's job it is. If it comes down to the taste or presentation of food, then fine we all have different tastes and expectations, and different concepts of what constitutes value for money. When it comes down to hygiene it is very largely a factual exercise. Is the food properly segregated in the fridge? Are surfaces and areas clean? Is food in date? Is it cooked to the right temperature? do the staff know what the right temperature is, and how to check it? There is very little room for opinion in those yes or no questions. 

More importantly.....do they wash their hands and have the proper facilities to do so? None of the above will matter if they fail to do this simple task! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1