Jonzo

Boys Boat Trip 2017

I think for the money she was a pretty good boat - My brief was to get the boys afloat for around £100 a head, and I can't think of anything else that would have given us the space we had at even close to the price we paid. I don't do bathtubs.

I found the handling a bit wonky, but then they were built as a holiday boat and so the focus was on getting a very 'square' hull to maximise the interior space. Manoeuvring is actually pretty decent for a chunky boat with 42hp on hydraulics, but it can be a bit wayward when under way on the river - Particularly if the wind gets up.

We had Major Gem 2 last year and everyone commented that they thought that overall the boat was better than last year's. One person happily slept in the quarter berth (and he's not tiny) and we all liked the large saloon which had plenty of room for the five of us to sit round the table. The fishermen were happy because of the large well, and generally the boat did feel much bigger than last year's - Even though the overall length and beam were the same.

I haven't had the fuel refund back yet, but I would expect it to have used more than Major Gem 2 (42hp Nanni on a shaft) - I think that's a tradeoff that we were all pretty happy with though.

Next year we may be on Thunder, depending upon what dates I draw..

[quote post="212413" Next year we may be on Thunder, depending upon what dates I draw..

I bet that will be cheaper than a £100 a head.........

Don't tell them though :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well indeed! Bet you're looking forward to me getting some footage of her with the drone?
Fear not, Clive. I have already got a week booked on a Ricko's boat next year!

Now if you could film an advert......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you took the plunge on syndicate boating then John. I remember talking to you about it at the Spring meet when you were considering the idea. I've no doubt Thunder is a lovely boat and you'll have lots of fun. Let us know how you get on. 

Yeah I'd been looking for a while and a share came up on Thunder. As she's probably the perfect all-round Broads cruiser (and big enough for what I wanted) it got my interest.

After a bit of digging I discovered the owner was desperate to sell so I made them a silly offer!

Our first time out on her was two months ago - Only a short visit as we didn't have much holiday left, but there were six of us aboard and there was plenty of room.

1 minute ago, Jonzo said:

As she's probably the perfect all-round Broads cruiser (and big enough for what I wanted) it got my interest.

Sorry John, I must protest. The all-round cruiser has never been good on the broads. Traditionally, longish thinish with a pointy bit at one end and a squarish bit at the other has always been the design of choice. The enlarged coracle design never caught on and was dropped from all hire fleets in the Anglo-Saxon days.

7 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Traditionally, longish thinish with a pointy bit at one end and a squarish bit at the other has always been the design of choice. The enlarged coracle design never caught on and was dropped from all hire fleets in the Anglo-Saxon days.

I keep trying to get a dragon on my bow...but Ellie say's she's not sitting on the 'front' until I've finished the rest of the boat!

a bit of wood carving could get you this (well not me sitting by the prow, but the carving.

Yes it is the boat at pegwell bay, no you cannot access it normally - this was my second Blue Peter appearance as a viking.

Even vikings had boats pointy at both ends 

05-03-2008 08;54;33.jpg

05-03-2008 08;52;57.jpg

05-03-2008 08;21;50.jpg