Big Changes Ahead

LondonRascal

Just been looking at your Facebook pictures, looks a lovely boat Robin. All the best to you (again). Agree entirely with what Charlie says. I hope to see you down the Yare in the future.

Jay

:default_xmas2:

Well here I am ready for the big day to collect her tomorrow morning and in the Hotel here tonight, and guess what - I have a stinker of a cold come on! Of all the times eh.

Anyway, so plan is to take over the boat at 11am, then spend sometime with the engineer going over and learning things and asking - got a list from what oil she takes to how you turn the heating on. Then they wiil depart and gulp she is all mine. My mum is arriving in the afternoon not wanting to miss on her only son making such a leap, but as she said, better to do it now and regret something you did one day than get old and regret not doing something.

Yes she will be sailed back to Norfolk, but that will not happen until I have a host of things done and an out of water inspection to how her rudder bearings are because a previous Survey drew attention to this. She is big and 3,000 litres of fuel wont be cheap to put in so I was thankful to hear from the previous owner the tanks are almsot full. Of course he may think 1/4 full is 'almost' so all this is part of the checking and discovery and I think with this sort of capcity might be prudent I get a fuel filler with a lock to stop anyone thinking they can just help themselves to a few hundred litres.

What I had not thought of but has dawned on me today, is all the non-boaty stuff to get. Bedding, duvets, towels, a hoover - will they have taken the cutlery away etc it like biying a new home but not having anything to move in with.

I will be filming but forgive in advance for the look of me and stuffy sounding voice.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Yes she is 'trawler' style but well, to be honest she is not the most pretty of lines especially beam on. I can live with that and Trader owners tend to be of a certain age having had the smaller faster stuff and now want the slower passage maker - I seem to have skipped that phase.

She has a full teak interor, solid stuff - and all the wood grain match's from doors to drawers. this was a expensive option at buid and known as 'the superyacht finish' the blinds are teak and the windows bonded without frames and tinted. She has real Granite sink surrounds in the heads and Corian worktops in the Galley with a double sink, built in fidge freezer, a dishwaser and washer dryer.  She has a master cabin aft, a VIP double up forward and a twin guest cabin. Every cabin has individual air-conditioning.

She has an RCD A 'Ocean' rating so up to force 8 and 4 metre seas should mean she would cope - not sure I would. She has autmoatie fire supression system which along with a manual activated closing of  the air intakes to seal off the engine room and prevent oxygen getting in to fuel a fire - this sort of thing you don't get on the average production boat from the likes of Princess or Fairline. Lots more besides but I am off to bed now.

• Like 4

Shiela is fine, she is working and so not able to be here to be part of this but to be honest, she is not too happy I went ahead with this and not got something more sensible, like a house. Talking of which she has bought some land back in the Philippines and has plans for a house to be built - something like a 4 bed home with garden could be constructed for about £16,000 but while that may seem good value here, this is an enormous sum to the average Filipino. Anyway so we have to decide a number of things not least does she come to live with me in Norwich, stay in London or leave the UK and head back home and begin a new life as a pig breeder. This is why all of these changes are so big and I might make light of them, but this has been a lot to deal with in a short space of time and much of it on my own but I am proud of how things are going.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

She has a full teak interor, solid stuff - and all the wood grain match's from doors to drawers

you will have to be careful when Griff visits, or you may find pieces missing and matching wood grain on the bottom of Broad Ambition.:default_biggrin:

• Haha 4

Great looking craft Robin. I have never been able to understand why some folk think a boat is ‘stunning’ as beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. To me a boat is seldom beautiful but I do like the look of this one I have to admit. As for the interior, well that to me certainly does look stunning and I would definitely be wanting to live on it permanently! I’m sure it will be a head-turner up here on the Broads. 

Enjoy your dream. I hope you will find very few problems once you start delving but, if you do, rather than treating them as problems treat them as opportunities. Will you need to run a ‘crowd-funding’ exercise to allow you to fill those tanks? :default_norty:

We may have to agree to disagree on the lines she has. she looks very proper and well appointed to my eye  - buying a boat for me is always about that "gut feeling" you get on a viewing any other bits and bats can be changed to suit as and when and thats often the compromise for most 

Good advice from Mum ........"you only come this way once "

Enjoy Robin 

Just a (slightly improper) thought - stow a cheap, small beam trawl somewhere, get registered as a fishing boat and fill up with red diesel - or come to an arrangement with MM. 

Erm, I don't geddit.  We - that is all hire and private boats alike are already legally allowed to fill up with red diesel, whether we be commercial or leisure - it matters not.  The only difference between commercial an leisure is the 60/40 split not the colour of the fuel!

Griff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1