Big Changes Ahead

LondonRascal

Really pleased to hear news of how you are getting on. Also, how Sheila is doing. It must be such a dilemma for you both on what’s best for the future and for your families here and in the Philippines.  You are such lovely people. Hope all goes well for you.

• Like 3

I have had such a long day but time to just post an update before I go to bed, and sorry to you guys currently because I have posted some content to Facebook but fear not you will be treated to some proper video and a tour that I will post here.

So this morning I duly went along to the Marina, met the Broker and did the final signing of papers and after taking the keys she was all mine - GULP - I did not have long and Nick from All Boat Services arrived, really friendly, down to earth chap and we got on very well.  He explained how much had been done to her cosmetically, from a refit of the interior in part to the wet bar/BBQ and all new upholstery, carpets, the list goes on and on. Now he is the owner of company and could be keen for my business, he could have said to me how such and such should be looked at, or the previous owner never got around to fixing that slight fault but I recommend that we take care of this for you. Not a big of it.

He explained how the previous owner was a very honest and straight man and really was a case of if it needed dealing with it was and the money was paid up - not a cost cut bodge being done. He then proceeded to talk to me for over 2 hours about the boat from bow to stern and the systems as we went, think of it like a super comprehensive hire boat hand over.

The thing was as we went along I thought MY GOD this is a HUGE boat with such a complex management system, from the fire suppression, fly by wire throttle system to the sheer size of everything - masses of kit is overbuilt to live up to that 'little ship' feel. But lets take the engines, I knew they were stone cold so it was going to be interesting how they would fire up after so long being left - well right away as it turned out, and smooth as you like idle but they have no form of muffling - there is not room either, so you get this most incredible deep exhaust note, a little smoke but being cold this is to be expected. He talked me through the thrusters - each one is 20HP! Let em say this, 23 tonnes of boat at a push of a button has moved 4 feet sideways in a second and straining on her lines - bloody impressive.

We went through lots but I was shocked the boat has no Inverter - either shore power or run the 13.5 KW generator. This has to be changed. Also I am surprised she has 12v for domestics, I had planned on being 24v and may consider changing things to be 24v and thus halving the amps of everything that is connected. But that is no simple task, every pump, light, and 12v gauge and service would need to be changed or have a voltage dropper which adds to a more complex circuit and chance of failure.

She has twin Yanmar 500HP engines and these are to some to light and high speed for this sort of boat, preferring a more rugged larger CAT which runs to a slower max RPM and thus will last longer in the long term, but since she has done a little over 600Hrs since 2003 I don't see her engines to be stressed in any way. Her first owner who had her built to custom order only had her from 2003 to 2005 - and a lot of that time it was spent in Spain and Gibraltar. The next owner bought her in 2005, but seems in 2008 -2010 went bonkers with the upgrades and spending. And now it is my turn to take care of her.

What I found odd was everything and I mean everything including tooth brushes, personalized life jackets for him and her, kids and dogs, shoes all left behind. Even the booze. It just strikes me as odd especially as the last owner lives in the same county the boat is in but each to their own I guess.

The only issue I have found with with the Air-Con and Heating. Both run off a central duel compressor system. This takes close on 25Amps to run, and fortunately the Marina here has a 32Amp hook up - but leave aside more Marina's only have 16Amp, this consumes an enormous amount of electricity. Also it does not get that, well hot. It is luke warm and the forward system shut down with an error code which I forget, but think was something like LPF I have the manual on board, but I am wondering if it is low on pressure/refrigerant so will have this looked into, but the long term outlook is putting in a nice diesel fired system but for the time being I bought with me a Ceramic fan heater with even on max is 1,700w but on low got the saloon toasty in a short time.

What is annoying is everything from lams to ornaments is stuck down - and I mean like they have used some kind of super adhesive and removing this is going to either ruin the teak or leave some mark but I can't really just have a silver horse and three green ducks there forever more lol.

Seriously, I have only gone through the smallest twin cabin so far and found a chair, a hoover, 7 adult life jackets, two cushions, three duvets - one Goose Down brand new from John Lewis - pillows and a bunch of old navigation gear. What awaits me as I go through the rest of the boat I know not. I might find a jet washer, as I have found half a lance and two 1 litre containers of spray foam.

• Like 20

Congrats on your new and very comprehensive sounding acuisition Rob. I like the name independence and god bless all who sail in her.

You are dead right what you say about the hvac system, very power hungry and not at all efficient, replacement a definite worthwhile project. It is possible that LPF means low pressure failure which does suggest a re gas.

Once you get her out of the water, very interested to hear what everything is actually like, particularly the rudder bearings.

Just think what with the upgrades you have planned plus all the surplus gear already onboard, you can have one hell of a boat jumble .

Good luck with her and look forward to seeing her on the norfolk waters and just remember, we are all here if you need help with the hydraulic interface...... i.e. the beer fridge.

Cheers

Trev

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Just a (slightly improper) thought - stow a cheap, small beam trawl somewhere, get registered as a fishing boat and fill up with red diesel - or come to an arrangement with MM. 

Erm, I don't geddit.  We - that is all hire and private boats alike are already legally allowed to fill up with red diesel, whether we be commercial or leisure - it matters not.  The only difference between commercial an leisure is the 60/40 split not the colour of the fuel!

Griff

Sorry Griff  - lazy post. Should have put 'red diesel taxed at the agricultural/commercial  rate' . Ipswich Morrisons was doing it at 82p a litre last time I looked. Some folk filter it through cat litter to get the dye (but not the chemical marker)  out I understand. 

yes but since you are allowed the red stuff in your tank on a boat, that would not be necessary, my thought that buying direct - straight from the tanker, you might get a better rate, actually big ships must fuel up somewhere, and I bet if you are buying by the thousand litres, there must be some cost savings to be made, though I am certain Robin will already have researched the fuel costs.

• Like 1

Congratulations Robin. I have followed your blogs for a few years now and gleaned some excellent tips for while afloat from yourself, your blogs and other forum members Just love it when you talk endlessly. I wish you all the happiness in the world for the life change. From what I know of you it would seem that it couldn't happen to a nicer guy !! For the record I'm not jealous.

Regarding diesel. I use domestic heating oil at home and use a website called boilerjuice.com . They will also supply red diesel. You may be very surprised at the quote you will get on 3000 litres.

All the best for the future and please don't stop the blogs I'm sure they would be missed !

Glenn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

yes but since you are allowed the red stuff in your tank on a boat, that would not be necessary, my thought that buying direct - straight from the tanker, you might get a better rate, actually big ships must fuel up somewhere, and I bet if you are buying by the thousand litres, there must be some cost savings to be made, though I am certain Robin will already have researched the fuel costs.

Lowestoft harbour are very cheap compared with Broads prices, Peter, and would be a good stop-over point (near the RNSYC) for Robin on his way here.

I was surprised at what the previous owners left on our boat when we purchased it but it is nothing like your findings Robin! Sounds like you will need a big skip by the boat so you can sort it all out. 

Lakeland sell something called ‘sticky stuff remover’, it is very good at removing what is left behind after pulling up items which have been secured by glue or sticky pads. You will have to be careful of the teak though. Good luck with it all. 

12 minutes ago, grendel said:

I would imagine the things were stuck down to prevent them slipping and sliding around when in high seas

I would imagine it’s a common thing to stick things down on a sea going boat, have owned River/canal boats before and nothing ever stuck down on them, no need to I suppose 

Doug had me looking for distant to sea for the run, Is this the boat Robin?

When you put your systems on can you pick Rascal (R6scal) as the boats call sign I've been looking at name option on marine traffic, we can watch the journey North when it happens.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Really? 2 x 20hp bow / stern p u s s y. buttons, plus twin screw 500hp each and you want bigger ‘Fenders’?

Mind you, we could do with a scabby blue fender for cosmetic appearance granted. 

Griff

apparently auto correct won’t let me enter  ‘p u s s y’

It's an age thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Siddy said:

Stage one training for above. `All round fender`

Full 360 Control.jpg

Oh I so want one of those basically just to toll it and see how long it take's to work out the block area of a circle :default_biggrin: