Big Changes Ahead

LondonRascal

Well another trip planned this weekend, but I come prepared - I have ordered some of my Amazon list and being a clever so and so have such being sent to a click & collect location 3 minutes from the Marina. Somehow though I have ended up duplicating the order for the screwdriver set - that said the LED bulbs (all 54 of them) are on their way, a clamp on current meter, multi-meter and a 32 piece spanner set and 1.5mm to 10mm Alan key set so building up inventory of tools bit by bit.

I've also got the service manual for the main engines, and generator which turns out to use a Kubota based engine which is handy as that is well known up in Norfolk with Peachments being the local go to place for service items.

• Like 4

May I say, I have probably watched all of your you tube videos, some of them twice, watching them makes me feel cosy and to share your life as you do, well, thanks….I just couldn’t do it.

The other thing you do so well…you’ve just bought a boat that I could only dream of owning and posted publicly your journey and videos, and not once has there been a hint of bragging or “look what I got”, your “Independence” video was just like a “Salerno” video.

Thanks for sharing everything, it’s been a good read both here and on YBW, and I wish you well whatever the future holds.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Robin,  one set for you,  one set for the river,  or is that just me. :default_biggrin:

Doubt it I can do that too very effectively hence the sea searcher magnet :default_biggrin:

Well having had a Curry and watched  film I duly nodded off on the sofa and now ind myself listening to Classical music looking out over a still Marina, but notice some fishing boats are getting set to go for their flood lights are blazing and around the query in the distance a great deal of activity is going on - or maybe they have returned and are unloading,

Today seemed to go so quickly but I managed to get some more things done and discover some other things too. Firstly was a walk to  Force 4 Chandlers I walked in and found myself to be the only customer, but my god it is easy to get carried away in these shops with so much to see and inspire you to find more ways to part with money.  But what I ended up with was far from glamorous. A bucket, deck wash brush, boat wash, Teak wash, and water tank purifying solution and £64 worse off it was back to the boat.

Lovely bright day, but here I ran into my first issue, draining a thousand liters of water through a tap takes a long, a very long time but while doing this I was alarmed that the bilge pumps became active. All was stopped to investigate. All showers and sinks apart from the galley, drain into two 'sea chests'. These are large containers to which the pips lead to, and a large bilge pump then pumps out the contains. However, i can only presume there had got some air lock in the system somehow for the bilge pump was running but not emptying the chest, it then overfilled into the bilge and about 100 liters of water mixed with crud and produced the most awful mix of dirty water and what a whiff. I had the floor up in the after cabin and reached down to force the sea chest pumps float switch down and cut it out - a sudden glug of bubbles, i let go and it pumped the water out just fine and has continued to work fine all day since.

Once the water gauge had reached empty there was still so much water left in the tank and pups and hot water tank I gave up in the end and put the sanitizing liquid in and ran it through the system then left it in the pipes to do its thing. I then went back out to the local Post Office to collect my Amazon orders.  Back on the boat and time to begin changing the Halogen bulbs for LEDs. Sadly two fitments in the sun deck will not release. I think I need some kind of large tool to grip the fitment to unscrew but the rest of the lighting is now so much better - same light output, same colour temperature but just 4w not 20w per light and no heat.

Then it was time to investigate the engine room and sort the sea cocks out - two of them had screws put in that prevented the sea cock from closing can you believe, this sorted I held my breath would the sea cocks move or be seized? Well they all moved and smoothly too. So now both engines, the generator and air conditioning sea cocks are all closed. I feel a little safer now leaving the boat. Next up, I don't want to go through a complete drain down winterise - anti-freeze etc when the boat will be moved for works and in February next year likely be making her move to Norfolk. I therefore closed the engine room air baffles with the handles located in the saloon, these are used in the event of a fire to stop oxygen feeding flames. But in so doing the engine room is now much less cold with no thru draft. I have no gas on the boat, and am not running any engines and indeed have no diesel heating either and while I have a battery charger in the engine room the sheer volume of air there is not liley to cause an issue should a battery gas - in short I am not worried about closing the air baffles.

This has meant the large tube heater will be very effectively at keeping the engines, hot water tank and so on frost free - i will drain the domestic water pipes upon departure - what I want to order is a socket that accepts a SIM card and will text me if there has been a power outage in the Marina, or I can text it to get reports like temperature in engine room, turn it on or off remotely etc so I will be confident as I can be that this set up will keep the boat safe when I am not on board her.

But I did find some issues - the fuel tanks, there fine but there also painted mild steel - not stainless nor GRP or Aluminum.  If they ever begin to leak, I will be the first too run screaming for the cost and work to sort that would be horrendous. It seems the centre tank is isolated from the system, this alone is 90 gallons and I am not sure if it has fuel in it or not, but the point of all this is the fuel filter bowls which were lovely and clear, since running up her engines last weekend, I see now have sediment on the turbine blades and the port one especially seems pretty murky with stuff. Not all clear and red for sure - so I do need to get a firm in to sort this out, pump down the tanks, filter the fuel, clean the tanks and fuel system, put the fuel back in and treat with a bio-side to kill off any diesel bug . This is essential as the risks of a break down caused by clogged fuel filters is great and one i am not willing to take.

I am not happy about the domestic eater system, it is highly complicated with two accumulator tanks at differing psi settings - one for the cold water inlet, the other for the hot water side. I have been looking at, and may get a new system - a variable speed pump and do away with the need for the other complexities of the system. These pumps bascially give you a smooth flow of water if tap is on just a bit, but ramp up the more you open the tap and while they do indeed run all the time you demand water, there is no pulsing,

Generator, Kubota based engine last serviced in 2009 and not run much since, Needs a coolant flush, oil change, filters and impeller - possible too new belts - engine belts not frayed or too slack, but not pristine so am considering having these changed this way things like this become known's - not unknowns. I know it has been done and when it has been done and can then keep an eye on things and not have as much to worry about down the road waiting for something to happen or break and then me react to it.

Well, that is today's update..

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Good start Robin and keep up the good work. Re the diesel tanks, somewhere you will have some drain cocks on each tank, these will be situated right at the bottom of the tanks below the level of the fuel take off cocks for the engines etc. With mild steel tanks you always get some settling of water in the bottom and this usually turns into the mess that you describe in the separators. Given that the boat has been stood a while and thete has been the possibility of condensation over the winter months,  particularly if the tanks have not been absolutely full, this is quite normal. Personally i drain water off my tanks twice per year and you could be surprised at the yuk that comes out of them. This does not necessarily mean that you have a bug of any sort, just cruddy watery tank bottoms. Put a sawn off 5 litre water bottle under the tank drain cocks, slowly open them up and you may be surprised what comes out. Keep doing this until the fuel runs clean and clear. Highly recommend doing this before anything is run up again just for peace of mind. It is also possible to get this residue analysed to tell you if there are any  nasties in the fuel too. An experienced eye can often tell. To the inexperienced  eye it can look horrendous and send you into a panic as it really can look horrid but is actually quite normal given how long she has been stood. Hope this helps, good luck with the working weekend.

cheers

Trev

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Well having had a Curry and watched  film I duly nodded off on the sofa and now ind myself listening to Classical music looking out over a still Marina, but notice some fishing boats are getting set to go for their flood lights are blazing and around the query in the distance a great deal of activity is going on - or maybe they have returned and are unloading,

Today seemed to go so quickly but I managed to get some more things done and discover some other things too. Firstly was a walk to  Force 4 Chandlers I walked in and found myself to be the only customer, but my god it is easy to get carried away in these shops with so much to see and inspire you to find more ways to part with money.  But what I ended up with was far from glamorous. A bucket, deck wash brush, boat wash, Teak wash, and water tank purifying solution and £64 worse off it was back to the boat.

Lovely bright day, but here I ran into my first issue, draining a thousand liters of water through a tap takes a long, a very long time but while doing this I was alarmed that the bilge pumps became active. All was stopped to investigate. All showers and sinks apart from the galley, drain into two 'sea chests'. These are large containers to which the pips lead to, and a large bilge pump then pumps out the contains. However, i can only presume there had got some air lock in the system somehow for the bilge pump was running but not emptying the chest, it then overfilled into the bilge and about 100 liters of water mixed with crud and produced the most awful mix of dirty water and what a whiff. I had the floor up in the after cabin and reached down to force the sea chest pumps float switch down and cut it out - a sudden glug of bubbles, i let go and it pumped the water out just fine and has continued to work fine all day since.

Once the water gauge had reached empty there was still so much water left in the tank and pups and hot water tank I gave up in the end and put the sanitizing liquid in and ran it through the system then left it in the pipes to do its thing. I then went back out to the local Post Office to collect my Amazon orders.  Back on the boat and time to begin changing the Halogen bulbs for LEDs. Sadly two fitments in the sun deck will not release. I think I need some kind of large tool to grip the fitment to unscrew but the rest of the lighting is now so much better - same light output, same colour temperature but just 4w not 20w per light and no heat.

Then it was time to investigate the engine room and sort the sea cocks out - two of them had screws put in that prevented the sea cock from closing can you believe, this sorted I held my breath would the sea cocks move or be seized? Well they all moved and smoothly too. So now both engines, the generator and air conditioning sea cocks are all closed. I feel a little safer now leaving the boat. Next up, I don't want to go through a complete drain down winterise - anti-freeze etc when the boat will be moved for works and in February next year likely be making her move to Norfolk. I therefore closed the engine room air baffles with the handles located in the saloon, these are used in the event of a fire to stop oxygen feeding flames. But in so doing the engine room is now much less cold with no thru draft. I have no gas on the boat, and am not running any engines and indeed have no diesel heating either and while I have a battery charger in the engine room the sheer volume of air there is not liley to cause an issue should a battery gas - in short I am not worried about closing the air baffles.

This has meant the large tube heater will be very effectively at keeping the engines, hot water tank and so on frost free - i will drain the domestic water pipes upon departure - what I want to order is a socket that accepts a SIM card and will text me if there has been a power outage in the Marina, or I can text it to get reports like temperature in engine room, turn it on or off remotely etc so I will be confident as I can be that this set up will keep the boat safe when I am not on board her.

But I did find some issues - the fuel tanks, there fine but there also painted mild steel - not stainless nor GRP or Aluminum.  If they ever begin to leak, I will be the first too run screaming for the cost and work to sort that would be horrendous. It seems the centre tank is isolated from the system, this alone is 90 gallons and I am not sure if it has fuel in it or not, but the point of all this is the fuel filter bowls which were lovely and clear, since running up her engines last weekend, I see now have sediment on the turbine blades and the port one especially seems pretty murky with stuff. Not all clear and red for sure - so I do need to get a firm in to sort this out, pump down the tanks, filter the fuel, clean the tanks and fuel system, put the fuel back in and treat with a bio-side to kill off any diesel bug . This is essential as the risks of a break down caused by clogged fuel filters is great and one i am not willing to take.

I am not happy about the domestic eater system, it is highly complicated with two accumulator tanks at differing psi settings - one for the cold water inlet, the other for the hot water side. I have been looking at, and may get a new system - a variable speed pump and do away with the need for the other complexities of the system. These pumps bascially give you a smooth flow of water if tap is on just a bit, but ramp up the more you open the tap and while they do indeed run all the time you demand water, there is no pulsing,

Generator, Kubota based engine last serviced in 2009 and not run much since, Needs a coolant flush, oil change, filters and impeller - possible too new belts - engine belts not frayed or too slack, but not pristine so am considering having these changed this way things like this become known's - not unknowns. I know it has been done and when it has been done and can then keep an eye on things and not have as much to worry about down the road waiting for something to happen or break and then me react to it.

Well, that is today's update..

One thing I would do and yiu probably did it anyway is attach a notice to the ignition keys regarding the sea cocks status , its very easy to forget and ruin the impellers + the possible future problems cause by the bits that leave go for a new life in the cooling system , as for engine belt's yes if they have been in the same position for a long while then they are prone to breaking so a change is best , sea chest , most likely a stuck float switch they do need cleaning quite often iv found and the longer your hair the worse it is  not that that should bother you its just from my experiences :default_beerchug:

Robin do you have wifi available in the marina, There is kit availble to monitor temps which send alerts at set points as an email alert and also water detectors for bilge etc.

The waste water tank sounds like it needs a level switch to alert the dashboard on high level.

I used a tank monitor that sticks foil bands to the side of the tank and has a wired display,  can't think of the name at the moment.

Very easy to install and works well,  no messy maintenance either.  :default_biggrin:

Cost about 200 pounds.

I think it was Tek tanks,  although the may have changed the sensors to individual sensors rather than the foil strip.

Edited by psychicsurveyor

Hi Robin. I caught up today with your 'NBN exclusive' video and I just wanted to say thank you as I found it very inspiring. Your continued honesty and openness is very refreshing but it's your determination to make your dreams come true which I really felt. The emotions you felt when you were saying "I've bought a boat!" came through very strongly. The funny thing is, I've never had any interest in sea-going boats at all and yet I feel compelled to continue reading & watching as with the previous Captain's Blogs. Although I wouldn't see myself buying a sea-going boat, please take it as a compliment that in doing what you've done, you've inspired me to think about my own life from a different angle and start to work out what my dream really is. 

The dream has come true for Robin but it's twice as big as his dream build he had a few year back lol. But life has changed in that time. Like me he like's his tech so the improvements may seem high end for some but they make life easy and ongoing costs lower.

I've loads of question about the systems onboard but waiting till the subjects come round on his video's to ask.

Robin that glass you broke put the dia of the glass up, I've not a clue where my fitting are in my storage unit but then realised we 6 fittings on the site i'm on Monday which could have it in the frames which are not used and will take it out of there if the same size. Glass was used before they put glass fronts on the bulb itself.

I will have a look to see if I can spy anywhere around the tank bottom where there may be a drain, the problem is the tank is behind a large bulkhead to which is attach a much of equipment. In front of that is the engine so it seems it matters not a jot what size boat you have, as everything gets bigger the larger the boat, you still have little room to get to where you want. Mind you Shiela will be here tomorrow, so I can send her slender frame in with a torch (on second thoughts I know how that will end for me).

I went and got spume pens and post-its notes today and have duly put a notice on helm reference to the sea cocks.

Siddy I have thrown the glass away - but I have another idea, the down lights over the beds, these I want to replace and I have a funny feeling the frosted glass in the front of these will fit the down light so will have a look and see, to be honest the down lighter is horrible, plastic and spray painted 'fake chrome' which has all worn off and looks shoddy. Thanks for the offer though and you can ask what you like, not sure if I know much because I am learning as I go. The Marina does have WiFi yes.

7 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Saw your facebook video Robin, that front cabin roof would benefit from some of this!

https://gruntboatcleaner.co.uk/

Can recommend as being very effective and leaves the gel coat almost like new!

My boat has still got its original gelcoat non slip decks, which is great but they are hard to clean, will give this stuff a try :91_thumbsup:

Right, getting caught up with this thread once more.

Hopefully I will be down in January with determined attitude, sleeves rolled up and ready to get stuck in.  Coming down by train is of course do-able but I need tools, preferably a selection of my own and some specialist stuff.  I'm sure we have large cases with the wheels on them that I can bring into service, personal gear - minimal so that gets round that issue.  However the biggy is when we find we need basic parts, plumbing fittings for instance, not having transport to the nearest plumb centre or screwfix (I have a trade account for them) is an issue.  So I have been mulling this one over (It would have been so much easier if you had a car on-site - Hint brick size right on yer foot!) and may have come up with a solution.

I have lots of mates the world over ex-RN / Raf / pongo to name but a few.   This particular mate I have in mind (We go back to 87 serving in Norway) now lives in . . . . . . . . Plymouth    'Ta - - -dah'     he has plenty of spare time on his hands too,  - well he did have last time I saw him - his trade was/is Marine Electrics - Ideal.  He knows about marine electrical systems and what's more he knows Plymouth well and has a car! - take note of that one Robin - He has a car AND a current driving license.  So Simon or Si / Ash as we call him can be press-ganged into sorting out electrical issues, I'll deal with the plumbing / engineering issues.  As of yet I have not contacted him on this one but will do once we have firmed up the diary for January.

1)  Domestic fresh water system - Of course do your research with regards to variable pumps etc but I would advise to hang fire on purchasing owt until I have got my head round what is currently onboard.  When it was originally installed I would assume it worked perfectly fine therefore no doubt it can be made to perform perfectly fine once more, just needs looking at and sorting.  Any system can be upgraded / enhanced but cost is always a factor not to mention the time spent in going all round the houses to end up back in the same street, so hang on a bit will you?

2)  Fuel tanks / system - Getting the specialist firm involved, imho a good move, can't skimp on this department and it does need sorting so you have 100% confidence.  Prior to that though it would benefit yourself to really know the system onboard, how it is designed and how it should perform.  One of those flexi cameras to a screen (Jason Hatch had a belter of a system) will help, good strong LED (small) torches and someone like me that can get into awkward corners, sending Sheila down there is all very well, but will she know what she is looking at? - No,  Also if you can get your head round the system, then being able to point your specialist firm in the right direction will save loads of time / expense

3)  Electrical system throughout - 'Si' can sort that one out we'll assist

4)  Generator - Service - A breeze, put my name down for that one (Get the service items in stock though)

5) Sea chest / bilges / bilge pumps - Again a breeze, put my name down for that lot too.

Ok,  so it looks like we have a plan coming together.  Me arriving Thursday pm of a given weekend, departing for home Monday pm should put a huge dent in it all, assuming of course I can bribe 'Si' into attendance with his knowledge / vehicle.

Anyroadup, got to dash off out now.  Promised a mate I would look over a Fairey Huntsmen he has recently purchased, then I have to grout a kitchen wall tiling job I did on Friday, then got to sort out some site electrics out at my Lads house renovation project, then take out MrsG for dinner. Need to clean my gun from yesterdays day out. Tonight of course its our weekly Lads evening at our Local, it's all go here, no rest for the wicked (I must have been proper naughty in a previous life)

Griff

• Like 7

One of my site contractors moved his boat north from the Broads this year out at sea etc and showed all his photo's of upgrades he did mech/elec work as it's his job.

Coming into his final marina what could go wrong? He heard the call the wheels come off. So had to fetch it in on the twin props.

I'm seeing next month lets hope he's fixed it as he taking it aboard for the summer next year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 40something said:

My boat has still got its original gelcoat non slip decks, which is great but they are hard to clean, will give this stuff a try :91_thumbsup:

Was even easier using my Aldi petrol power washer to wash it off on its low setting using the canal water! Almost made it a doddle! Need to leave the stuff to "cook" for a while before washing off. Especially good for textured surface of gunnels.

Hi Robin, been reading this thread and it is becoming very clear you are quickly coming up to speed with the salty way of life. I am very surprised a company such as Trader have installed mild steel fuel tanks, I really thought these were a thing of the past. As others have said it is a good decision to get a professional fuel polishing company in. When we bought Eighth Day Sealine S42 we were very lucky that the previous owner had had all three tanks cleaned and fuel polished a year before our ownership. When this was carried out they cut several large inspection holes in the top of each tank in between the baffles to ensure all crud was removed. 

Earlier this year I was talking to a guy from a fuel polishing company who was cleaning fuel and tanks on a large boat in our marina in Ipswich, he told me the biggest problem with diesel in the boating world today is biocide diesel due to degrading within a time scale as short as six months. (Much the same as petrol). Biocide desiel is fine in cars and trucks on the road as they tend to have high turn over of fuel, however with boats, fuel sits in the tanks for months, even years without being used. Apparently, this is more of an issue with modern comman rail Diesel engines with electronic management, sensors read the quality of fuel and if not satisfactory they go into limp home mode. 

Unfortunately, many marinas are now buying in biocide fuels, luckily where we moored at ipswich they were aware of this issue and only brought in non biocide desiel. Although they did say it is now becoming increasingly difficult to obtain. 

Col