Big Changes Ahead

LondonRascal

Nice boat, but you're going to miss the Rico's bathtubs.

Seriously it is beautiful, I've looked at the websites over the years at the Azimuts and Princesses, planning where the lottery money is going but this is so much more than those. It has elegance borne from age old craftsmanship, modern manufacturing techniques just can't match the class that oozes from the perfectly fitted paneling and fittings designed with perfection rather than repeat-ability and cost in mind.

The little we've come to know about you I still know you'll indulge her to a fault, she'll want for nothing and she'll thrive. Well done for following your dream Robin. Just one thing, is she too big for a sole crew? particularly casting off and mooring?

Lots to say, short time to say it in - Charlie as ever comes up trumps will talk to you about all this in due course. I will get the serial number of gen set and from this get busy with ordering items for it. Once thing I have found is there is a lot of local companies if you do need something, Force 4 Chandler for example is a pleasant walk the other side of the Marina, there also are engineering firms and everything the boater could want. I will hold fire on the water pump side of things. I have spent time in the engine room cleaning up some things and am more confident now about what things do what - also very nice to have checked the oil and it is golden in colour still.

My list of items for All Boat Services to carry out has reduced. In answer to the fuel yes being stored for longer periods yes this is an issue with modern diesel but you can get products that stablise the fuel and mean you can store it for longer periods, also the engines are (and in my mind better for it) not overly modern and complicated electronic controlled  etc etc they are just big 6 cylinder lumps but have some odd things, like having more filters for oil and fuel than some but that seems a Yanmar thing. They also make the likes of Volvo Penta seem economical in service item costs.

Boroscope camera - this is something I already have but could not bring down on this visit. Grunt boat cleaner will look into this, though I have to be careful how much time I devote to the boat and to Shiela so I think the next couple of days will be more a break from working and boat tasks and enjoying the local areas and using the boat as a base.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

like having more filters for oil and fuel than some but that seems a Yanmar thing. They also make the likes of Volvo Penta seem economical in service item costs.

Some engines have primary and bypass filters for redundancy so you often have a line of filters.  The price maybe eye watering but stick with genuine filters.  I've seen genuine and some makes of aftermarket filters disassembled, there were several differences including thinner casings and more worryingly much less actual filter materiel.

Not been for a couple of years now but I used to make a beeline for this place whenever in Plymouth - http://www.lanternsrestaurant.co.uk/ 

• Like 1

Well having just read the thread from start to finish all I can say is what a fantastic journey.

With regard to buying the boat without a survey what can I say? It's a calculated risk and from reading your blogs I don't doubt that you very carefully considered those risks before taking the chance. Best of luck to you Robin :)

• Like 1