Stern Tube Info

clive

Would any one know where I might get a stern tube from for my Hampton Safari I have tried May craft but no joy there or if any member may have any information as regards manufacturers or possibly where I might get the relevant stainless or bronze material from thanks Clive.

They will supply the complete stern tube to the length and spec that you need. They can make the stern tube up at their works, if you have the old stern tube they can copy that. DC marine have been supplying props , stern tubes, rudders etc for many

years and they will be able to help.

Clive, what is wrong with your present stern tube, the stern tube does not normally wear out but the outer and inner bearings do need replacing from time to time. There is normally a shaft seal at the forward end of the tube which does need adjusting or repacking from time to time to prevent leaks. Dave R.

Dave my stern tube is made of galvanised steel and so where the stuffing box screws on it is threaded so when they made it they machined the threads on the end so removing the galvanise which over the years has rusted away I did repair it with plastic steel a couple of years back but it now is at the point that it has got to be changed.

Clive - DC marine would be able to make or supply a new stern tube for you and put the correct threads on both ends.Have a look at the prop  shaft where the packing in the stuffing box has been rubbing against it. Sometimes after a lot of use the shaft can become grooved at this point. If it is grooved then you could consider ordering the new tube a few inches longer that would ensure that that the stuffing box and packing is located on the unworn part of the shaft.