Building New Cruisers

Andrewcook

I wish they would build more two berths but alas the larger boats give a better return on investment because they can be let for a much higher price. In other words, it doesn't cost much more to build a 6-8 berth boat than it does to build a 2 berth one but the income from the boat in terms of hire price is considerably larger. 

What I mean Labrador is Two things One what Broads 01 has said the other Navigations under Bridges as to Building Two or Larger Crafts like the Old ones that was first brought out on the Broads  with out taking down the Canopy. I'm  very sorry If I did explain this to you or to any else on the Norfolk Broads Net.   

Andrew Cook

As I understand,maybe I am wrong but Silverline have and are building smaller boats for Brinks.May be worth a phone call to some yards.Indeed we have two members.Clive and Andy.Why not PM them.Sadly my boats won't go under Potter and Wroxham. The other week we got a day boat from potter to hickling great trip.First in over 8 years.

8 hours ago, marshman said:

Why build small two berth cruisers when, as far as I can see, most of the larger cruisers seem often to be occupied by just 2 people!! instead of letting a small boat to  two people, rent them a large one instead and get more cash!

Nail meet head, Fair Jubilee being a prime example!

maybe on refit more of the older boats should be fitted out as two berth, (or two less berth and add a decent bathroom / wet room) I suppose it is down to supply and demand, if you want two berth on a budget, then some of the older boats are ideal.

rather that than build a new two berth from scratch if it is not going to pay its way.

• Like 1

Hi Grendel you made a very good point  on this issue. I thought Brooms  that have now come back to the Hiring Business was going to design Two Berths  along with other  Crafts as I do know they did have the Admiral Class Boats I think? If they got any left why can they refit them for more space and comfort Cruisers?

Andrew Cook

10 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

As I understand,maybe I am wrong but Silverline have and are building smaller boats for Brinks.

Yes, indeed Silverline are building Brinks Encores, two already in service and, rumour has it, two more at a later date.  If you look in "Hire Boat Discussion" and "Holiday Tales" you will find my writeups on Encore 1.  

12 hours ago, Cheesey said:

Rented the bolero torvil in April and its a great boat and it fits under all. (6 foot four I think) and the frying pans under the cooker ( sorry about that phone call brooms)

The Encores are basically the same as Broom's Bolero, essentially an Aquafibre Opal, but on Encore the airdraft is quoted at 6'10" so I am surprised that Brooms quote 6'4".  The Gala Girls from Summercraft were/are quoted as 6'9".

Internal layouts may differ slightly between Broom's Bolero, Silverline's Silver Coral and Brinks Encore.  Do not necessarily trust the layouts on the boatyard's web site or Hoseasons.

I think it is excellent that new 2 berths are now being built after all the 38/42 footers recently.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BryanW said:

Yes, indeed Silverline are building Brinks Encores, two already in service and, rumour has it, two more at a later date.  If you look in "Hire Boat Discussion" and "Holiday Tales" you will find my writeups on Encore 1.  

The Encores are basically the same as Broom's Bolero, essentially an Aquafibre Opal, but on Encore the airdraft is quoted at 6'10" so I am surprised that Brooms quote 6'4".  The Gala Girls from Summercraft were/are quoted as 6'9".

Internal layouts may differ slightly between Broom's Bolero, Silverline's Silver Coral and Brinks Encore.  Do not necessarily trust the layouts on the boatyard's web site or Hoseasons.

I think it is excellent that new 2 berths are now being built after all the 38/42 footers recently.

Could you lose 6" with heavy ballasting?

17 hours ago, marshman said:

Why build small two berth cruisers when, as far as I can see, most of the larger cruisers seem often to be occupied by just 2 people!! instead of letting a small boat to  two people, rent them a large one instead and get more cash!

I would say don't build small 2 berth cruisers, build large 2 berth cruisers and charge for it. The fact that many of the larger boats are hired by just a couple seems to suggest there is a market for it. They are obviously not put off by the price.

We've hired large 4-6 berth just for the two of us. We did this to get a newer boat, dual steering, much nicer and modern inside, with a larger bedroom/ bathroom but the living area/ galley feels cramped as an extra bedroom/toilet has been squeezed in. Now if something like say Broadway or Moonbeam from Richardsons could be fitted out just for 2 there'd be plenty of space for a decent galley/dining area. We'd pay the 4-6 berth price for that.

Would be interesting to hear from Clive just how many of their larger boats are hired by just a couple.

Fair Jubilee looks a lovely boat, we're not keen on the sedan style though because of bridge problems.

I'm on a one man mission to get the yards to pander to couples.:5_smiley: Let's take Fair Prince from NBD (2 berth) and Swan Renown from Richardsons, (4 berth) same mould fitted out differently. Late April next year Fair Prince is £100 per week dearer. For us, and I know everyone wont agree, we'd take Fair Prince every time.

So come on yards, build big, luxurious 2 berth boats, for all the older couples whose kids have moved out and the mortgage is paid off, who have money to spend on treating themselves.

Has it got legs or are we in the minority?

• Like 2

I agree completely. We've hired Fair Prince a couple of times and it's a lovely boat for two. We would rather pay for a boat fitted out for just two people, making best and innovative use of the space, than take the same size boat with spare berths that are wasted space for us.

We're hiring Bronze Emblem soon and will see how we get on with an older boat for two. Ferry Marina do seem to be the ones building newer luxury for two with Whisper Emblem, Zircon Emblem and Silent Emblem being recent additions to their fleet.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2017 at 21:55, Wyndham said:

Fair Jubilee looks a lovely boat, we're not keen on the sedan style though because of bridge problems.

I'm on a one man mission to get the yards to pander to couples.:5_smiley: Let's take Fair Prince from NBD (2 berth) and Swan Renown from Richardsons, (4 berth) same mould fitted out differently. Late April next year Fair Prince is £100 per week dearer. For us, and I know everyone wont agree, we'd take Fair Prince every time.

So come on yards, build big, luxurious 2 berth boats, for all the older couples whose kids have moved out and the mortgage is paid off, who have money to spend on treating themselves.

Has it got legs or are we in the minority?

Don't forget about us 30 somethings with no kids and money to spend!  Totally agree with you there is a market for amazing 2 berth boats!

• Like 1

Hi, it was mentioned earlier in this topic about the airdraft of Broom Bolero. I have hired this boat twice and have it booked again this October and can confirm it has an airdraft of 6ft 2 as stated in the manual. I expect Brinks Encore and Silver Coral will have similar figures (along with most Aquafibre 28 Opals/Heritage 286) however most yards will rarely admit the actual airdraft for various reasons. I suspect these include protecting the superstructure from scrapes and even crushing, remember also that the airdraft is not the height needed for all bridges, for example at Potter this type of boat needs 6ft6 due to the bridge arch and width of the boat. 

Neil

• Like 2

I agree with Grendel, I think that older couples on a meagre pension and younger couples just starting out in life benefit from the older two berth boats, when we first got together they were a godsend in enabling  us to afford two weeks on an old two berth, my fear is if the yards continue to sell off these older boats to make way for new, bigger builds a lot of families and couples will no longer be able to afford a Broads holiday, how sad that would be

Grace

• Like 3

It depends what you want ... you only have to look at all kinds of holidays to see that there is room in the market for all kinds of offerings, from 5 star to 1 star, luxury hotel to campsite.

Older boats have their place but there's no reason that anyone with enough to spend shouldn't be able to treat themselves to a little luxury. And it all depends how well the boats are maintained as to whether anything you book lives up to expectations.

• Like 2