Building New Cruisers

Andrewcook

we have a choice, 

http://www.richardsonsmarinedevelopment.co.uk

there is currently a ensign 21 in build, as well as commodores and commanders in build,  there have been 3 phoenix  in the last 3 years and have 3 Kris Craft (Landemore)  sets of day boat mouldings to fit out for fineway

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

it is much easier to fit two people on a 6 berth than fit 6 people on a 2 berth. 

You can guarrantee , four  hirers have hired say a 4 berth and once motored round the corner, have loaded up another couple of people on board expecting some to sleep on the floor...

9 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

it is much easier to fit two people on a 6 berth than fit 6 people on a 2 berth. 

This is true but if only two of us are aboard then we don't need extra cabins but appreciate extra living space. Fair Prince has a nice little dining area under the bow. Some boats have more space in the rear cabin. Some have better shower facilities. And I don't need to have to try to moor over 40 foot of boat length when 35 would do ... or pay for the privilege with the higher price of a six berth boat. Just my take on it as a frequent hirer of boats for only two. :)

• Like 1

On 9/26/2017 at 09:39, Jonzo said:

Yes I noticed you'd been building additional Phoenix 21's. They look nice in plain white, too.

Presumably the Ensign 21 is going into the Fineway fleet too?

I've not seen the Kris Craft dayboats but they look good on the website.

A few yards have tried to reinvent the dayboat but the Phoenix and those Loynes-type boats still look the best of the newer designs - I think mainly because they are a simple and clean design.

The Kris craft is a newer version on the landemore with the screens moved forward 6 inches and an interior moulding if you want it.. 

The  Loynes type is either the Landemore or what was originally the 'Rapier'  which had a mould taken from one of the wooden fleet. 

• Thanks 2

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 06:19, Gracie said:

I agree with Grendel, I think that older couples on a meagre pension and younger couples just starting out in life benefit from the older two berth boats, when we first got together they were a godsend in enabling  us to afford two weeks on an old two berth, my fear is if the yards continue to sell off these older boats to make way for new, bigger builds a lot of families and couples will no longer be able to afford a Broads holiday, how sad that would be

Grace

I understand what you're saying Grace and agree with you, there should be  a cheaper option for those not so well off, or even those not wanting to spend a lot,  and to be honest I think there always will be. We were the same as you and originally hired the absolute dregs, we loved it, breakdowns and all. Having said that when you look at the bookings next year, Swan Roamer has a week available early March, one in early April then no weeks until late Oct. That says to me there is a market for high end 2 berth boats, plus they need to be built to be old one day, so we can afford them when we're pensioners.:default_biggrin:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

I understand what you're saying Grace and agree with you, there should be  a cheaper option for those not so well off, or even those not wanting to spend a lot,  and to be honest I think there always will be. We were the same as you and originally hired the absolute dregs, we loved it, breakdowns and all. Having said that when you look at the bookings next year, Swan Roamer has a week available early March, one in early April then no weeks until late Oct. That says to me there is a market for high end 2 berth boats, plus they need to be built to be old one day, so we can afford them when we're pensioners.:default_biggrin:

It's a good job I booked my short break on Swan Roamer last May, more than 12 months in advance of the trip. Yes it's high end, ish (makes a change for me) but it's not a new boat any more. I know there's a few new 2 berths about but they're outnumbered by the larger stuff. 

• Like 2

The ex-Swancraft boats certainly seem to be bringing in good business for Richardson's. First boat hubby and I hired together back in 2012 was Swan Reflection. We chanced upon something that has been hard for anything else to live up to. And given that we hadn't researched anything, read anything online, watched videos or anything like that, we weren't worried at all about the southern rivers and fell in love with that side of the Broads. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2017 at 22:00, Wyndham said:

there should be  a cheaper option for those not so well off, or even those not wanting to spend a lot,  and to be honest I think there always will be

The boat supply will be mostly driven by market forces, especially in the larger more commercially driven boat yards. If the yard capacity can be filled with big expensive premium offerings that give the best return then they are likely to maximise it. They will provide cheaper options as long as they can get a comparable return.

smaller yards may act differently as they cannot afford the capital outlay so the big expensive option is not available to them.

as always other factors always influence. Like yard size and location as well as personal preference or interests, like Maffetts with Merlin and Swallow.

• Like 1

At Freedom, we are building a second Pod Flamping / Picnic boat for 2018 and have a completely refitted (from a bare shell)  Siesta for 2018 also which will sleep 3 overnight for basic, low price boating.

We have no further expectations of new builds for 2018. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3