Tv On Boats

Andrewcook

Why can TV Aerials  be attached to a Telescopic  Pole and have clipped to the side of the Boat for better Aerial reception. as to using something on the flat Roof of the Boat and saves all this bother of going out each time when it moves or the Boat moves and losses  it reception.

Andrew Cook   

I think there is a T missing from Can't!!

1, Yes you can fit TV ariels to telescopic masts, Boat yards don't because you would find the ariels littering the broads hanging from all the trees that lean over the broads and it's another thing to lose going under the bridges. Height is always a great help in reception

2,  Most TV ariels are Directional, you get better reception that way, putting them on a mast won't help going out to realign the ariel that much. Then it may make it worse, as it would amplify any rolling of your vessel as the ariel would then look at sky and river as you rolled.

You can get an omni directional aerial that picks up a signal from any direction if you want to fit and forget.
The pole is usually to get a good line to the signal over obstructions.
I use a moonraker DTV1000 which is a directional aerial with a built in signal booster without a pole and get a good signal.
The uk aerial alignment app is really useful and simple to use

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I have seen one or two hire boats with aerials on masts, one in particular I thought was going to be bannana'd by Wayford bridge but the helm spotted it just before I hooted to warn them.
Getting the aerial up high does help a lot with reception, I use 4G nowadays but the same applies with the dongle.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I get superb TV reception. What I do is connect Ellie's TV to the television antenna she has on the roof of her house at home in Lincolnshire. The television sits on a small table in her living room...and I leave it there. When we get back from the boat she can watch all of her TV programmes that have been recorded while we have been away, and I don't have celebrity won't cook come snogging in the jungle on ice with a cake at your big brother's house inflicted on me.

If there is a desperate need to watch television, oh I don't know, because my head has exploded or Season Three of Lucifer has started or they have rebooted Haven, then I will have recorded the episodes to my hard drive which can then be cast to my laptop or phone (benefit of not buying Apple products).:default_norty:

When I take over a hire boat, first thing is stash the pain in  he backside aerial somewhere and leave it there - I don;t do telly and DVDs when I've been on my own, I sort of become a different version of me. Mellow, some wine, classic FM on low, cook, look out the window and everything seems just right with the world.

Try doing that at home and I feel thoroughly bored and soon am reaching for the TV remote.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I generally only watch the quest channel, and if I could get it on freeview would be happy as larry, unfortunately, freeview round our way is via a repeater so we only get a limited number of channels checking it tells me 19 freeview channels 6 hd channels and 16 radio stations, none of the ones I want to watch.

Quest is great, love it! Alligators being hooked in their guts and dragged ashore, unmissable TV, America at its best! We get it via FreeSat, when I dumped Sky I simply plugged my Freesat into the old Sky satellite dish, works perfectly. FreeSat, unlike Freeview doesn't get Sony Movies but apart from that it's great.  

If there was a television on my boat there would not be enough room for me and my fishing gear!

However, when I have hired a boat with my family we have put the ariel up on the boathook pole and tied it down somewhere. It works a treat.

That is not to say that I am remotely interested in what is on the television as my family watch all the crap!

The tv on my hire boat is very rarely on, but is a good option to have. A good film or stand up DVD on a wet night onboard is good. I have watched some good sport onboard over the years.

The twice Andy Murray has won Wimbledon, I have watched it while on the broads, I think he should buy me a boat with the promise I will be onboard on the broads EVERYTIME he play's Wimbledon  :default_biggrin:

TV is easy omni directional receiver , 240 volt TV via the inverter and spent the difference between that and a 12 volt TV on an advanced regulator for the alternator which is better for the batteries and faster to charge too , signal wise no problem now we are on digital signal , TV is obviously free view I don't do sat dish's on boats way too hard to get a signal unless you spend ridiculous amounts and then  there's stupid prices sky charge , so there you go  TV with surround sound + DVD for next to nothing and no subscription bill and very healthy batteries too  :default_biggrin: