Parking Meters.

JennyMorgan

There is no dispute at all over the ownership of the machine - it is owned by Ferry Marina and the fee will cover mooring charges on the old BA 24 hr mooring. This land adjacent to the river is owned by Woodbastwick Estates and now leased from them by Ferry Marina.

It has nothing to do with parking as that piece of land is not covered by the lease - that is a public highway ( I think) originally to the ferry .

If you don't want to pay, to help defray the costs of leasing and running the mooring etc,  go and moor at a BA 24 hr mooring. All this year the mooring has been closed to public use and none has been mooring there until Ferry took over the lease  - there are many moorings you pay for on the Broads and as someone else has said, if you dont like it, moor elsewhere.

You will all recall why this is no longer a BA mooring - the landowners increased the rent originally and the pub leased it hoping to attract more custom but for many reasons that has fallen through. For most of this year no mooring has been permitted but now this mooring is available for a fee - you cannot expect anyone to lease the mooring and let boats moor for free surely??

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I too don’t have a problem with paying to moor if you feel your getting something for it a nice spot or money off in the pub etc

my issue is we as a human race are just like sheep and I can see this being just the start

another land owner or even worst the powers at BA will see this and go, ohh that’s a good idea

and they will then spring up like triffids

I could even see a time when very popular currently 24 hr free moorings would have these installed

BA’s answer would be we are still supplying plenty of free moorings 

I hope I’m wrong and this is a one off 

Personally I have no issue with charges being made for moorings, it is the right of the leaseholder or land owner to do so. I dont generally use those moorings myself as I feel it adds cost to an already expensive pastime, but that is my choice.
What I object to in this instance is the aesthetic of the thing and it just seems to be 'Bad Form' in my opinion.
Just wanted to clarify as theres seems to be some stick grabbing confusion...

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

Quite a lot I guess - in the case of a business after 5pm, I guess you would pay overtime. The trouble is with getting an individual to collect fees, boats turning up after the collection time would get it free , and that is the problem with places like Ranworth Island and Salhouse. However as the underlying owner is broadly the same, we could see these at those places too if it is successful!!!

Effectively you would lose revenue because people will not pay voluntarily - perhaps this is seen by the owner to perhaps try and balance it out.

I realise that people do not see the connection, but do not people pay to park cars in many places??

• Like 2

I can't see a real issue with a meter after all it's better than a sign saying NO MOORING.
The free 24hr BA moorings are after all said and done are not really free we just all pay up front with the annual toll.
The choice is ours whether we use any mooring or not.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 3

this may be controversial, but everyone was complaining that there werent enough places close to the yards for hirers to moor up on their first night, and how all the moorings were full, so hirers were running in the dark, well now there is another option, not more than an hour or so from Wroxham. for a nominal charge.

fair enough if you dont want to use it, that will leave it free for those late starters from wroxham.

a parking meter is easily recognisable by just about everyone, and most know how to use one. costs (as opposed to having a human collecting the fees) are minimal.

Hi

When we passed this last week I assumed it was for cars that drive down to the rivers edge. Am I wrong or are you all pulling my leg. I noticed a sign saying the boat charge is to be paid to the warden, a charge for lunchtime stop and another for over night. I do not mind a small charge if it means I can moor. Had a lovely fortnight despite poor weather some days. Most alarmed to see river bank passing early one morning but on checking land side reassured still tied up, it was a piece of bank that had come adrift and was heading into Sutton Staithe after the storm. Poor chap who had the task of towing it back where it had come from with all us grockles watching. He did it eventually.

7 hours ago, Philosophical said:

didn't David Bowie do a song about that?

Yep he did, something in the song about mice. Do you know, I havn't a clue what that song is all about or in what context that bit applies to anything.

Sorry Bowie fans,  many other songs are the same too, I sit here very confused sometimes when listening to my radio.

4 minutes ago, vanessan said:

It would always be in the wrong place!

Personally I would not want to moor there anyway whether it is free, charged for or NBN members only. Its just like a seaside caravan site, loud, uncaring for the neighbours and I really do not like mooring outside pubs. That's why I go on my boat, just to get away from all that. I am not over enamoured with the pub either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

How much would the charge increase if the leaseholder employed a human to collect the fee ?

So who is going to police it, to see if you have paid and stuck your ticket on the windscreen.

Next they will have cameras up and you will have to type your boat reg in.

Leave without paying then there will be a fine in the post when you get home. :default_norty:

What happened to good old fashioned honestly.

People have a choice,  use it and pay or go elsewhere.

Would anyone expect to sit in a pub all evening and not buy at least a drink,  no because the place has overheads to pay,  so does the mooring,  lease,  rates,  maintenance…

Is the problem the cost,  in which case you have a choice or is it the meter.

Would everyone be happier if it was just closed down to mooring again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

For 10 pound which I think is well over the top as I have said I would not moor there anyway. What do you get for that nothing.When we went past the other week no one was moored there anyway .

I agree the charge is too much when there are no facilities there.

If it included a ferry trip to the other side so you could get into Horning and back then it would be worth every penny.

• Like 1