Aldeby Hall Moorings

SweetKingfisher1

This mooring's is on the River Waveney, close to the old railway bridges, just under 3 miles to Beccles.

Ian and I thought this moorings was a BA mooring's, but how you have to pay for a 24 hour moorings.

Ok, we could be wrong, but I think not.

Anyone else noticed this moorings and the signage?

Regards

Marina :default_stinky:IMG_0594.thumb.JPG.6deeb8c125c029448c34e212e1cb6d40.JPG

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SweetKingfisher1 said:

This mooring's is on the River Waveney, close to the old railway bridges, just under 3 miles to Beccles.

Ian and I thought this moorings was a BA mooring's, but how you have to pay for a 24 hour moorings.

Ok, we could be wrong, but I think not.

Anyone else noticed this moorings and the signage?

Regards

Marina :default_stinky:IMG_0594.thumb.JPG.6deeb8c125c029448c34e212e1cb6d40.JPG

Sadly BA lost those Mooring's in I believe much the same way as those on the northern rivers around horning , so yea they are in private ownership now hence the charge :44_frowning2: 

Dam insulting tell you the truth. Just think the BAs money paid to build the mooring in the first place and now this lot taking over and charging for it. Is this the future now?. 

BA moorings going into private hands and they can charge what they want. 

I hope north cove doesn't go that way or others on the rivers north or south.

• Like 2

Most BA 24hr moorings are on private land leased by the BA, they only revert back when the lease runs out and is not renewed by either the BA or landowner for whatever reason, like it or not individuals and businesses are entitled to charge for use of these facilities the same as in any other situation, its up to each one of us as to whether we consider it worthwhile paying the fee to use the facility in the same way as it is up to the owner to decide if the income is worth the trouble of providing said facility.

Fred

• Like 1

Aldeby Hall is well worth a payment of £5 for a 24 hour mooring, they also have no objection if you want to stay for 48 or 72 hours as long as you pay. You can't stay for more than 24 hours on a BA mooring whatever. It is a quiet mooring and you can fish there. The walks around are lovely, riverbank or around the fishing lakes or across fields. 

If you want to be nearer Beccles, you could stop at the recently refurbished moorings a little further upstream, the name of the property escapes me at present. They are charging £8 for 24 hours with no facilities. Not as nice as Aldeby IMO. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Did not notice if there is a day time fee.If it was a lower fee for a few hours,I may consider stopping for lunch.

I expect it be like carry on camping when the farmer comes out and says “That be a Fiver””.

“I’m only stopping for lunch”. “

””Yes but it’s still a fiver”.

“Yes but it’s £5 for 24 hours I’m only stopping for a sandwich”

“ yes sir but just think how many sandwiches you can’t eat in 24 hours for a fiver. It’s still a fiver are you staying or paying ??”.

“ No I ain’t got a fiver”

I think we have to accept, like it or not, that on private moorings we have to pay, just like you do for carparks - the trouble is free moorings have been the norm around here.

Sadly life moves on and few of us bat an eyelid at paying at places like Durdle Door or at a National Trust space just to go for a walk or spend an afternoon doing nothing. Well sadly its finally come to Norfolk and the charges being seen are nothing other than the norm, even for not a lot.

Those moorings at Aldeby look suspiciously like old EA piling and now I guess the owners will have to pay for maintenance - I know how much it is to put in wooden piling, or thereabouts, so I think most of you would fall out of bed if you were told the cost of steel piling!! No I don't know but even if I did, very few would even get close with a guess methinks!

• Like 3

The £5 charge is for mooring at any time for anything up to 24 hours. There is a warden who comes round on a motorised bike to collect. I suppose if you were lucky you might avoid him but probably not as he does pop round at any old time. 

With regard to private landowners charging for mooring, why shouldn't they? Those who have decided to no longer lease to the BA and collect the fees themselves I believe may have just shot themselves in the foot. As we have seen on here, some will not pay fees and rely on BA moorings whilst some (like me) are quite happy to pay if the mooring is where they want to be and is well maintained. As Marshman has said, quay headings are darned expensive to maintain or replace and it may be that the privately owned fee payable moorings may eventually become unusable. Maybe that's what the landowners have in mind, charge whilst the mooring is safe then close it. We shall see. 

• Like 4

I'm with Vanessan on this - if a mooring is where I want to be I have no problem with paying for it. What I absolutely won't do is pay for a pub mooring unless there is a full refund on your meal/bar bill! (We don't stop often downstream of Wroxham bridge f' rinstance.) 

I have come to the conclusion charges are inevitable, and I should not expect others to subsidize my holidays. I was a little disappointed last year when we paid £8 to moor at Salhouse. We were squeezed in like sardines, and when a hirer arrived and asked if other boats could be moved along so his friends could moor alongside him (2 more boats) the people working there moved at least one boat along themselves as the crew were not present. I understand that these are extremely popular moorings, but it's not for me in the future.

Although far from being rich, if I don't pay for services etc then they may not be there for me in the future. Everyone needs/wants a return for their work and investment and Norfolk should be no different.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, vanessan said:

The £5 charge is for mooring at any time for anything up to 24 hours. There is a warden who comes round on a motorised bike to collect. I suppose if you were lucky you might avoid him but probably not as he does pop round at any old time. 

With regard to private landowners charging for mooring, why shouldn't they? Those who have decided to no longer lease to the BA and collect the fees themselves I believe may have just shot themselves in the foot. As we have seen on here, some will not pay fees and rely on BA moorings whilst some (like me) are quite happy to pay if the mooring is where they want to be and is well maintained. As Marshman has said, quay headings are darned expensive to maintain or replace and it may be that the privately owned fee payable moorings may eventually become unusable. Maybe that's what the landowners have in mind, charge whilst the mooring is safe then close it. We shall see. 

What responsibilities do private landowners have in respect of damage to boat whilst occupying a paid for mooring, in particular damage caused by the mooring itself for example,  caused by exposed steelwork/piling or grounding?  

52 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

What responsibilities do private landowners have in respect of damage to boat whilst occupying a paid for mooring, in particular damage caused by the mooring itself for example,  caused by exposed steelwork/piling or grounding?  

Hopefully they will have public liability, just in case a member of the pubic injures them selves when on the said land (their moorings).

Regards

Alan