A Little Addition Behind!

Timbo

Can you guess what it is yet?
DSC_0215.JPG

Yes, with Doug's help I've bought another boat...definately a project boat...
DSC_0214.JPG

An 8' Barrow Boat, full kit and caboodle. A flappy thing! Currently named Moonlight, she will become the 'Gracie Tatie' named for my Granddaughter Grace. A GT to Royal Tudor's RT. Grace is excited even though the Gracie Tatie will not be staying that 'orrible pink colour! Quite a bit of work to do!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

one of our boats destroyed this a couple of years ago! I chucked it on my truck and took it to stalham where we decided it was written off!

From what I can gather Clive, from Doug, it got squished at Horning just like Royal Tudor (RT was squished by a HW boat), so they should pair together well. :default_huh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Malanka said:

Still looking for a 12" 6 wooden tender, Mini is fine but she's a Lurpack tub and it grates just a little bit having her behind Mal.

She sails beautifully, rows reasonably well too, has similar colour scheme but is fibreglass .

M

Oh no i didn't realise there was a tender etiquette :default_blink: well I'm stuffed then a GRP boat and wooden tender :default_badday:never mind in my world a boat is a boat no matter what its made of be it wood , GRP , concrete , steel , or alloy etc   its still a boat + I'm fully aware of which comes off best in an incident , PS love Woodie's but don't love the fact that by some  anything other than wood is considered a lesser material for the construction of boats :default_coat:

18 minutes ago, Malanka said:

Methinks some doth protest too much. All materials have their advantages. I'm just waiting for the renewable tree huggers to notice that you can't have polymer resins without fossil fuels....

oops slight disadvantage there. 

M

Na no protest just can never understand why wooden boat owner's refer to other methods of construction as they are some what inferior hence the nick names , all materials have there advantage's and disadvantages none are superior .

22 hours ago, Timbo said:

Can you guess what it is yet?
DSC_0215.JPG

Yes, with Doug's help I've bought another boat...definately a project boat...
DSC_0214.JPG

An 8' Barrow Boat, full kit and caboodle. A flappy thing! Currently named Moonlight, she will become the 'Gracie Tatie' named for my Granddaughter Grace. A GT to Royal Tudor's RT. Grace is excited even though the Gracie Tatie will not be staying that 'orrible pink colour! Quite a bit of work to do!

Tim,  that's part of an Anderson shelter :default_rofl:

• Haha 2

Plato, 424-347 BC, laid the foundations of the relationship between materials, design and construction. Not all materials have the same properties. The relationship is quite simple, the design and construction of an object are dependent upon the physical forces, material, the purpose of the object and the tools available in equal parts.

Archimedes, 287-212 BC, was the Greek fellow to give us the scientific relationship with regard to buoyancy. Of course humans, and even humanids, had understood the principles involved for thousands if not millions of years. All boats have to float, they need to be propelled and they need to be directional. It's quite easy to see the change from your basic raft to a boat with a shell capable of holding objects, people and importantly air. Fast light boats are long and thin, boats that carry weight are better if they are as round as possible. 

Step up Leonardo Da Vinci who, in 1493, discovered the laws of sliding friction. Boats don't sit on top of the water, they are partially submerged. So their shape is partially defined by the need to slide through the water.

So what materials do we use? Humanity has used everything from reeds to hollowed out logs, paper, bakelite, plastic, wooden planks, glass, concrete, you name it...we've used it to build boats.

Above all, man's use of tools has dictated the forms he has created. Each design of boat has been dependent upon tools available. With advancement in tooling, boat design get's more complicated and the use of different materials becomes an option.

Of course, there's nothing new in the materials used in boat building. Pheonicians were using glass strands 3000 years ago. The Chinese and Egyptians had a handle on plywood over 2000 years ago, the Romans were the masters of ferrocement. Our use of tools and processes in the modern era, of course, have seen these materials used more readily than the traditional material of wood. The industrial revolution brought sheet metal. The plywood revolution brought us the first compound curves in plywood in 1932. The plastics revolution of the early 20th century brought us the very first fibreglass boat in 1942. 

Yet, if you drop a bloke beside a river with basic tools and ask him to make a boat, most will head for the nearest trees. It takes a special individual to nip to the kitchen sink and his chemistry set.

My first ever boating holiday on The Broads was onboard Captain XII. A woodie. My decision was made then and there. I like wooden boats. As a member of the NBN and a historian, I can appreciate the history of all Broads boats. As time inevitably chugs on, there are fibreglass boats that are just as much classic and vintage boats as are wooden ones and they all need celebrating. Everyone has differing views and everyone likes different types of boats. And I'm sure everyone has dislikes. If I'm honest the sight of a narrow boat on the Broads really grates on me. I don't like 'bathtubs' but I really enjoyed my time on Prince of Light...plastic, but felt like 'a boat'.

As for names given to boats of different materials, it's descriptive. Point out a 'woodie' I know what I'm looking for. Tell me to look out for the Bermuda, I would be scratching my head. Tell me to watch out for the 'bathtub' I know what I'm looking for. 

Directly behind Royal Tudor in the sheds at Martham is a fibreglass boat. While I'm working on Royal Tudor I get to see the differences in the restoration of my wooden boat and the fibreglass one. The processes and materials are totally different. The chap with the GRP boat will often shake his head at the time and expense of materials going into Royal Tudor. I will often shake my head at the 'temporary' nature of the pine and thin plywood going into his boat. Yet the pride, time, skills and patience in restoring both boats are similar and the finished boats will be just as beautiful...OK, mine will be better 'cos it's a woodie'! :default_norty:

At the end of the day boat choice is personal. No matter what your boat is, you will be proud of it and rightly so. To be honest I would like to see the NBN have it's own 'historic' fleet. Doesn't matter if it's wood, grp metal, plywood, or reed. Simple rules for inclusion, if it's over 50 years old then it's a classic, if it's over 60 years old it's vintage. Doesn't matter if you own it, hire it or just like looking at them. Let's propagate some of that knowledge we collectively have and everyone enjoy these old boats?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2