Two Weeks On Swan Rapide

deebee29

Day one

Saturday 9th September and the big day had finally arrived, it seemed ages since April and our last visit.
This trip was booked as soon as we returned from last September’s holiday on Rio Light from Herbert Woods. We’d looked at Swan Rapide when it belonged to Swan Craft but for one reason or another we went with Silver Elegance. 

Rio Light suited our needs perfectly with great views for mum who is 86 now so we decided to book Swan Rapide from Richardson’s as it is newer and cheaper.

We left Home just before 6 o clock and were in Stalham by 11.30. Reception didn’t open for check in untill 12.30 when to our delight were told the boat was ready and we could load up and were on our way by 1.30.
The yard was manic with so many boats going out it felt like high season.

We had made a decision that we would stay at How Hill for our first night, after all we had two whole weeks ahead. It was sunny as we left the yard but before we got too far down the Ant the heavens opened, no time to get waterproofs on I was drenched then as soon as it came, the shower was over and the sun came out again for the rest of the trip. 

The moorings were busy but still quite a few free. 

50062F70-2E0E-46CA-8232-039495391BA2.jpeg

We got settled in as the Ludham Bridge dash began and continued until almost dusk, don’t know where they would all moor.
Later on we were treated to this scene before settling down to watch the Strictly launch show.

Sunset 3.jpg

sunset1.jpg

On the recommendation of a forum member I bought a small omnidirectional tv aerial to try instead of having the faff of aligning the boat one to get a signal and have to say, it’s amazing. If there is a signal this will pick it up we would even get some channels at Salhouse later in the holiday.
Obviously, boat motion & weather do still affect picture quality but I would highly recommend these devices.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Gain-Freeview-Aerial-Television-Black/dp/B007JPOX8O/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506431666&sr=8-1-fkmr3&keywords=hi+gain+tv+aerial

aerial1.jpgaerial_2.jpg

Now I know a lot of you will say you shouldn’t bother with tv when on a boat but mum is 86 and likes a bit of tv in the evenings so we do use it.

day 2 to follow soon

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

What a lovely scene to end your first day. 

We don't watch tv when on the boat but do believe in a 'no rules' policy (within reason) :default_biggrin: so if someone wanted to watch it, so be it.

Look forward to the rest of your story :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

Cheers

Jay

Day 2

Sunday began with quite heavy fog but it had cleared by the time we cooked breakfast and were ready to get going.

We’d already checked the tides and they were favourable for us to spend the first week over on the South so today we would be heading for Stracey Arms ready for an early crossing on Monday

As we made our way down the Ant we became aware of how busy it was going to be as we proceeded at 4 miles an hour on tick over. When we got to the Bure we couldn’t get out, it was like the M25……. I’ve never seen it this busy in years.

The weather was a bit mixed today, overcast & quite breezy

Once we passed Acle the river quietened down with most of the traffic seemingly staying North.

As we passed Stokesby we spotted & exchanged waves with Ian & Marina (& Sweet Kingfisher) who had just moored up. We proceeded to Stracey Arms where there was plenty of room.

We had a customary visit to the shop and windmill, tho shop keeper told us there was an open day at the Hindu Temple so we had a look over, lots of food stalls. It looked like it had been a good day but was winding down by we got there.

On our way back to the boat we spotted Sweet Kingfisher and had a chat with Ian & Marina. It was good to meet you both.

mill1.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=58c9797d2ed25bd5

• Like 8

14 hours ago, SwanR said:

It does look as if it has stayed very busy

Well Saturday afternoon Jean, from Stalham to Ranworth not a mooring to be had including wild ones. Mind How Hill and Ludham Bridge both had wasted space for about another half dozen or so boats if they closed the gaps up. More moorings available B/H  weekend in fact.

Charlie

• Thanks 1

Day 3

Monday was an early start with our destination being Beccles. 
The morning was bright but very windy, we had phoned the yacht station to confirm our timings were right for crossing (they were) as we proceeded the wind seemed to get stronger which would lead to a choppy crossing which is just how I like it.

All went well and we stopped for lunch at Herringfleet 24 hr moorings. 

We have all our meals on board as mum hasn’t got a big appetite and portions are usually too big for her, also she can’t walk too far without tiring.

We got to Beccles after a heavy flash shower (which would be the format for this week) and a pleasant afternoon.

We had pizza delivered to the quay and very nice it was too. Later me & my brother had a walk up to the Bear & Bells for a couple of pints. A very friendly pub with a good choice of beers.

Not much in the way of pictures today

• Like 7

Day 4

Tuesday started warm & sunny although the Harbour Master told us that very high winds had been forecast for later in the day.

Our plan for today was to take a cruise under the bridge to Geldeston, a lovely cruise on one of the most picturesque parts of the Broads . sorry, I should say an awful trip through junkyards with battling pirates & sea monsters I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. :default_cool:

After reaching the Locks we proceeded to Waveney River Centre where we would spend the night. 
Again we exchanged waves with Ian & Marina on Sweet Kingfisher heading towards Beccles.

Sweet Kingfisher.jpg

Once at the River Centre we chatted to a family on their first boating holiday who were a bit unsure of how to go on with handling the boat. They asked if I would take them to the water quay (where I made a near perfect mooring but of course no one was there to see it)

The afternoon was quite pleasant but as it wore on the breeze got stronger.... but more on that tomorrow 

• Like 8

Hi Simon 

I'll do a bit of a review at the end but we love the boat, it’s got it’s quirks but it suited us well.

the cabin space is maybe a bit compromised but with just 3 of us on board didn’t cause us any problems.

my brother is 6’2” & didn’t find too many problems.

The front of the saloon is quite low but you only bump your head so many times before you learn :default_rofl:

The inner helm on these boats is a token gesture but wouldn’t cause you any problems as I know like me, you would be outside whatever the weather.

the reason we went for this type of boat in the first place was for the large saloon area for mum, giving her space to move around and great views.

We had Rio Light from Herbert Woods last year & Swan Rapide is far superior (& cheaper) with a great engine and the addiction of bow thrusters.

Not to everyone’s taste but I’d definitely hire again, mind you it’s booked solid for next year.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, tjg1677 said:

BELIEVE ME, YOU GET USED TO IT.........:50_open_mouth:

This is true but only in the terms that you have to! As mentioned, the inside helm is a joke! The seated position up top in relation to the wheel would be termed a severe health and safety issue in any other situation. Its excrutiatingly uncomfortable and unpleasant!

Well it would seem Dave and his family had no problems with the boat and suited their needs, especially for their Mum, sometimes we have to compromise on what's best for family members etc, there's nothing wrong with this type of boat, good value and loads of room,  definitely on my 'to hire list' in future

Looking forward to the boat review Dave, come to think of it, it's about time for day 5 please :default_norty: Get a move on old chap :default_icon_kiss:

Grace

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Day 5

Your wish is my command Grace

I was awoken at around 3.45am by the promised gales by rattling & banging outside, turns out the wind had loosened the windscreen catches and part of the screen had dropped…… no damage done though.
Don’t think I got any more sleep that night.

It was still very windy on Wednesday morning and nothing was moving at all early on. We decided to stay put to see if it would blow itself out.

By 11 the wind had dropped drastically and river traffic started to pick up. Today’s plan was to head to Rockland which we did.

The trip was very blustery with occasional heavy showers so again no pictures of the journey but the boat handled very well. I used the upper helm all of the time as I’ve said in the past I always go prepared for all weather.

We decided to moor on the newly refurbished 24hr moorings at Fleet Dyke and very nice they are, again we were the only boat there.

I must say the South was very much quieter than the North.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, VetChugger said:

This is true but only in the terms that you have to! As mentioned, the inside helm is a joke! The seated position up top in relation to the wheel would be termed a severe health and safety issue in any other situation. Its excrutiatingly uncomfortable and unpleasant!

Cant speak for the hire boats but on GK a few simple modifications and all was well. The inside helm on mine is I believe different to her sisters in as much as that the helm is right up against the port front windscreen, not set way back as I have seen in others.

The upper helm was easy to resolve. Have fitted a very comfortable helm seat which sits on the existing moulding but extends out towards the starboard side by some 8 inches, so you actually sit in front of the wheel now.  The bowthruster is operated by a remote control worn with a lanyard round the neck, the throttle is within easy reach and I have now fitted a full canopy over the flybridge which allows all weather cruising, as well as a sunshade awning and has actually turned her into a very versatile boat indeed.

• Like 4

Day 6

Thursdays destination was to be Norwich, it’s been a long time since we’ve moored there overnight and we were unsure what to expect after all that’s been said recently about noise etc but decided to give it a go. We always used to enjoy a night in Norwich.

The weather was more of the same breezy, showery with occasional sunny spells but the wind had dropped drastically.

We arrived to find a completely empty yacht station with just one other boat moored right at the far end and that’s how it remained until we left on Friday morning.

DSC00091.jpgDSC00095.jpgDSC00096.jpgDSC00098.jpg

The Ranger was very helpful & bored out of his mind, he said he can’t remember when it was so quiet.

Well we had a peaceful night, the traffic noise didn’t bother us at all and there were no problems with passers by, I think Friday & Saturday nights might be different.

• Like 8