URGENT - DOG FOUND IN RIVER

Jbx5

6 minutes ago, grendel said:

Lucky little dog to be spotted and rescued, well done JBX5's daughter.

Exactly well done young lady and hopefully he can be reunited with his family asap .

Owners of dog found but a bit late as the dog warden came for her and took her to swaffam.

My suspicions were correct she had fallen from a boat and the owners didn't notice for 2 hours, they were looking for her in the Chet 

This is one lucky dog tonight as the tide was running fast at Reedham.

Sarah couldn't believe some one from a boat further back said they saw the dog pass there boat but didn't think any thing of it!!

its been a week of rescues as I had to pull a young lady from the drink at Ferry marina Horning on Sunday as she stepped into the water to early as they were stern mooring again this could have been bad as she was right in the middle of the boat near the prop but all was well  after a bit of vocal shouting to cut the engine.

John

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

No life jacket and not noticed missing for 2 hours, Im not sure I would  give it back if it were up to me.  Lucky little fella im glad he/she didnt drown and is warm now. 

" Er not sure I'd have given it back " , that's a little harsh to me to be honest , it's unknown as to how boat orientated this poor little dog was , think about it its pretty tiny and there are many places to hide  on a boat and trust me its not that difficult to think said pet is onboard and isn't even more so with small dogs and cat's , the thing is this is obviously a family member ( pet ) and they were apparently searching for him /her and trust me you forget about tides and current flow in such circumstances and retrace you movements .

All in all a good result though I would prefer to see a lifejacket on said dog but a collar is just as important , micro chipping and collar tags are mandatory these days but lifejackets aren't .

Jbx5 your daughter did really well today its not easy getting hold of a dog in the water especially without a collar so maximum respect young lady . 

6 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

" Er not sure I'd have given it back " , that's a little harsh to me to be honest , it's unknown as to how boat orientated this poor little dog was , think about it its pretty tiny and there are many places to hide  on a boat and trust me its not that difficult to think said pet is onboard and isn't even more so with small dogs and cat's , the thing is this is obviously a family member ( pet ) and they were apparently searching for him /her and trust me you forget about tides and current flow in such circumstances and retrace you movements .

All in all a good result though I would prefer to see a lifejacket on said dog but a collar is just as important , micro chipping and collar tags are mandatory these days but lifejackets aren't .

Jbx5 your daughter did really well today its not easy getting hold of a dog in the water especially without a collar so maximum respect young lady . 

"Im" not "Er"

Surely when your on a boat you would treat a small dog the same as you would a small child.  If you hadnt seen him/her in 2 hours.....

I dont imagine for one second it was anything other than an accident and im sure the owners will be glad to have it back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

"Im" not "Er"

Surely when your on a boat you would treat a small dog the same as you would a small child.  If you hadnt seen him/her in 2 hours.....

I dont imagine for one second it was anything other than an accident and im sure the owners will be glad to have it back.

My apologies for a slight miss quote , and yes your right about dogs and small children , my point was that some animals hide on boats as the vibration worry's them so they seek sanctuary in the oddest of places , but yes of cause you should look and check for them , I was just a bit concerned that because they had failed to spot said dog was missing it was deemed reasonable to not return their dog , iv had a few scares with animals onboard not all of them mine , hopefully this is a learning curve for them and will be more vigilant in future , my dog had been trained that he put no more than 2 paws on the back deck when moving and all I have to do is cough n he's straight back in but rarely does he push it and he's checked on constantly , also methods of extraction from the river are I place should he fall which is to be honest very unlikely .

As said previously a good result this time and well done  to all , this is exact what sets this forum above some , the instant response to things of this nature is very heart warming .

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up with this thread, great result. My dog is by my feet unless someone else has opened the fridge. If I go to the loo, he is outside the door, like where have you been for the past minute dad! He is only six months old so we took him on a day boat to see how he would get on and he loved it. Guess where he stayed. Next to me.

A785088B-2FBF-4651-9A4A-766994A0E84E.jpeg

• Like 4

The 'Boys' have very different attitudes to travel. Toby is fine in the car. He will sit in the back and poke his head between the front seats to see where he is going. Dylan hates the car. Open the car door and he will use all of his weight and muscle, beagles are surprisingly solid, to avoid getting into the car. Once inside the car he will be nervous, sweat quite a bit...and therefore arrives at our destination as one smelly beagle! Our Veterinary recommended I use Adaptil (nursing mother pheromone) I spray it around the car and it calms Dylan down. If I provide him with a cardboard box, he will climb inside and sleep for the whole journey. If Dylan realises I'm going to the boat, if he sees you getting his life jacket out ...then he is torn. Dylan hates the car, but loves the boat!

If both dogs are confronted by water out on a walk Dylan will carefully tiptoe his way around it to avoid getting any part of him wet. Toby will just jump in the water. On the boat, Toby does not stray far from my side. He can get on and off the boat but cannot walk around the deck. Toby will turn his face and bum towards the cabin side and will inch his way so slowly around the deck it is initially hilarious but eventually tedious to watch. Dylan, on the other hand, will casually trot around the deck, sit on the bow and pose when we pass holidaymakers and the photo opportunities they provide. He will jump up onto the front cabin roof, park his big ginger bum right in front of the windscreen by the helm position before trotting off for another circuit of the boat. Once we have floated past populated areas Dylan will jump back into the cockpit and take himself off to bed. Toby will stay sitting on the floor by my feet in the cockpit doing impersonations of a typewriter carriage. He vibrates his way across the cockpit floor from port to starboard and then stands up, walks back to my side...and then vibrates himself all the way back again.

Onboard Royal Tudor, as I come into moor, both dogs are shut into the forward cabin. It's all too easy for them to climb on deck, get under feet and trip me or the crew. They would also be tempted to make a jump for the bank and miss. Both dogs have life jackets, and I carry a boat hook (the only time a boat hook should ever be used is for hooking dogs and handbags) on board. I have regular arguments with my other half over the tightness of dog collars. She is forever slackening them off (so that the dogs head pops out of the collar) I'm forever tightening them up. Three fingers between collar and neck is plenty tight though.

Plenty of towels, dog treats (beagles are always hungry and even more so when afloat) poop bags, latex gloves, high sided tapered dog bowls (with spares), steel corkscrew stakes and tie out cables are all carried for The Boy's comfort. They are microchipped and have double sided 'dog tags'. One side has my home number and the other side has the boat name and my mobile number. I also have my fishing umbrella with me for those days when the boys want to be on the bank but it's too hot and they need some shade. Finally, The Boys are registered with both the vet at home and the practice in Wroxham.

When we are underway a member of the crew is designated as a 'Dylly Watcher' :default_norty: their sole job is to keep a track of where Dylan has wandered to on the boat and then to secure both dogs in the cabin when we come into moor. If I'm solo helming I will lift fenders onto the deck just behind the cockpit doors to stop Dylan wandering out of my field of vision. Mooring solo I will call both dogs and shut them in the forward cabin well before I arrive at my destination.

When I get to putting the finishing touches to RT there will be one or two 'dog friendly' and 'boat friendly' projects I have in mind!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Having had to "fish dogs out of the oggin" before, I'd recommend Hi Vis jackets; a dark dog in murkey water particularly in the dark is difficult to see. Big dogs can also be difficult to get back onto the decks of a boat without a platform or stern cut-away. I recall our Golden retriever used to weigh "a ton" when wet, tactic there was to man handle him into the dinghy where he would thoroughly shake almost drowning those in the dinghy by way of thanks, then we could get him onto the boat.