Roast Potato's Cooking On The Corsican Part 32

CheshireCat

So this week is Roast Potato's , and I break all my rules about buying King Edwards or Maris pipers as I could not get any however I did a beautiful local potato which had no name just told you the farm it came from . In the video I forget to tell you the oven temperature  so 180 fan 200 no fan and gas mark 6 to 7 depending on your oven hope you enjoy this vlog ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XpJmWXL9cc&t=24s

• Like 1

21 hours ago, grendel said:

looks good, I hope to watch this tonight to see if there is anything I can do to improve my roasties, by the looks of it I already do some of the steps in the quick flick through I did earlier

It all about using the correct Potato , Maris Piper or King Edwards would be my preferred choice , keep them all the same size when pealed , part boil for 7 to 8 minutes , drain well then return to the pot put the lid back on and give the pot a good shake to break up the outside of the potato , you can roast straight away but I much prefer to let them cool and dry out so you can do the well in advance , now we come to roast them best fat to use is goose with out a doubt will give you the best flavour and a very crispy roast , however it is one of the most unhealthy and not suitable for vegetarians so one of the best I think is ground nut it can put up with the heat and is not to strong so done not effect the flavour of the potato and gives a beautiful crispy coat , but you can use just about any oil or even butter it is really up to you , so follow the roasting steps in the vlog and you wont go to far wrong , you can baste more often if you wish , hope this is of some use to you kind regards ...  cheers ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, Hylander said:

Have you tried Stempsters?      They are  a local potato and I try to get a couple of sacks Nov/Dec time.      I roast mine in Trex.

Hi Hylander not tried those but I do tend to stick to what i like , as for Trex i'v not used it myself but that will do the job just as well as anything , I would say try the ground nut oil I think you will be pleasantly surprised makes a lovely roast and is suitable for vegetarians ... cheers ...

12 hours ago, VetChugger said:

If goose fat is one of the most unhealthy then, my mucky dripping from either roast beef or pork, must be positively suicidal! Doesn 't half make tasty spuds though!

Roast potato's done in dripping are so good not done them for a long time , when I use to do a big old bit of beef I always done my roast potaro's in the beef fat beautiful ...

for low fat roasties, I have added the oil at the point of shaking the pan, so it infuses in the fluffy bits round the edges, then used a non stick sheet on the baking tray, this way you control the amount of oil and still get a decent roastie.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grendel said:

for low fat roasties, I have added the oil at the point of shaking the pan, so it infuses in the fluffy bits round the edges, then used a non stick sheet on the baking tray, this way you control the amount of oil and still get a decent roastie.

If you really are looking to do a low fat roast you can now buy these low fat sprays , I don't no what they are called as I have never used one , once you have gave them a good shake place them out on grease proof give them a spray and roast I'm sure you would get something like a roast potato ...

yes, it is the difference between a decent roastie and a perfect roastie, my daughter uses the sprays.

my parents always had a pot in the fridge full of dripping, every week the joint was roasted in it on a sunday, and then it was put back in the pot, mid week the remains of the roast went to become a soup with the settled out stock at the bottom of the dripping pot added. (some of the stock also went into the gravy. its my guess that what was in that pot was a mix of beef dripping and pork dripping (and new lard to make up any shortfall).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hylander said:

Life is too short for low fat rubbish,  if you are going to have a roast spud have a decent roast spud, it is not as if you eat them every day.    Everything , yes everything in moderation.

Well as you all probably notice I don't really bother with the low fat options myself , I am past the stage of caring haha , but believe it or not I do eat healthy food mostly but when I feel like a nice treat well a little bit of what you fancy dose you good I think and as you say Hylander its not every day , now off to the boat out till the 16th so next weeks vlog will be a wee bit late don't know what its going to be yet something nice , remember any requests are welcome ...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hasn't some research found recently that the saturated fats like beef dripping and goose fat are better for you when they've been heated to a high temperature than the low saturated fats?  Apparently the so called healthier fats turn into something nasty and potentially carcinogenic when heated. Can't remember where I read that though. 

You know over the years of cooking and reading all this stuff that is out there this is good for you this is bad for you , don't eat this don't eat that , then a year later they change there minds and tell us well you can eat that and you can eat this , now I don't care if I like it I eat it everything in moderation and a little bit of what you fancy dose you good ...

• Like 3

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 08:30, JamesLV said:

Always need dripping and lots and lots of rock salt, unless it’s christmas, then substitute beef dripping for goose fat

Dripping was always something we had in the fridge but I came from a big family so large bits of meat were roasted on a Sunday and sometimes threw the week and the bowl just got topped up , sadly I don't do it anymore I'm here on my own so never roast meat really shame as I miss my dripping on toast which I loved ... cheers ...