Well That Was A Rough Night

JamesLV

Absolutely.  Am on the pontoon at Oulton at the moment.  Bobbing round like a 'cork',  En-route to Beccles later, hopefully a bit more sheltered there.

A very unsettled Rosie, she likes being on board but that was a bit extreme!

Sue 

We were on Thurne Dyke, so probably a bit more comfortable than Oulton, glad I moved the boat slightly to tie up on the rings though as one of our Rhonda anchors had come out this morning!

Our dog was pretty good, he doesn't like strong wind but only came up to join us around 6am ish...

If you can put out a couple of "spring" lines, these for the uninitiated are ropes that go the other way from the deck cleats or other points. Google the term and you will see what I mean. make sure you have plenty of fenders down on the bank side. what is more, a few drops of what you fancy does help.   :default_beerchug:

Have a good break.

Thingy.

Best moor up to the shore from where the wind is blowing rather than the shore to where the wind is blowing on to.  Oulton Broad's Dutch Tea Gardens is a prime example as the prevailing wind comes from the West. Best go to the shore opposite, the timber quay heading in the corner, you'll need your rhond hooks though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ExMemberKingFisher
47 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Weather Warning:-

Southerners -  Are warned not to travel unless absolutely necessary

Northerners:-  Tha will need tha big coat

Griff

But no knickers :default_norty:

On 05/10/2017 at 14:23, thingamybob said:

If you can put out a couple of "spring" lines, these for the uninitiated are ropes that go the other way from the deck cleats or other points. Google the term and you will see what I mean. make sure you have plenty of fenders down on the bank side. what is more, a few drops of what you fancy does help.   :default_beerchug:

Have a good break.

Thingy.

Like this

image.png.66cc8c82c289e45510e7cffa78153721.png

That’s what I did with my rhond anchors, but one got pulled out over night, I’m going to assume I didn’t have it in at enough of an angle, or the ground got so waterlogged over night it just pulled out.

one of our neighbours we’re only on with two lines on anchors and one pulled leaving them halfway out across the Dyke circa 2am, oh how we all laughed when we discussed it the next morning!

I remember doing one re-enactment event, and it was so windy,  with the tent flapping I ended up wearing my motorbike crash helmet to keep the noise down, in the morning when I got up the trailer tent next to me had moved 20 foot down the hill in the night.

• Haha 1