Concorde

The last BA Concorde in service is now going on Display in Bristol. I have been over the prototype at Duxsford .If I get a chance would like to see the one at Bristol. Inside it is very small.Sadly I never got a chance to fly on her,what a plane when you think the design was sixties.I did see the last flight from work,5 or 6 can't remember went over what a sight.Sadly I think we missed a trick Think the Americans put a block on it and would have been  great if they came up with further developments. Suppose it came down to money.All that is left of Concorde,is her call sign.Speed bird 1.That is now used by BA planes flying from London city Airport to New York. 

Ian 

• Like 2

Concorde is truly a beautiful plane. I often used to see her when cruising around Windsor and downstream on the Thames. You cannot mistake the roar of those engines as she tips up after take off and climbs to her operational height. I went over the prototype at Duxford a few weeks ago and as you said, there is not much room inside. I would love to have flown on her.

I have a few pictures which I need to sort out which I will  put on the thread later.

• Like 1

I used to fly into Heathrow regularly and there was always a BA Concorde parked near the end of the runway. The joke at the time was that Tony Blair kept it there in case he had to make a quick getaway. 

A truly elegant plane in my view, but spartan inside, or so I heard from one of my work colleagues who managed to wangle a trip across to New York in one.

Steve

• Like 1

Worked at Datchet for 10 years 91 to 2001 and it normally flew twice per day, twice as loud as anything else !!  Got used to it after a while but all the tourists loved. 

Best day was Heathrow's 50th flypast, had a Lancaster, Red Arrows and Concord all together.  Best bit was a new at the time Boeing 777 flying VERY low across yard, made us all jump as it was so low!

9 minutes ago, Happy said:

:1_grinning: There is a Concorde museum in Barbados which we visited in March. Apparently one of the few Carribian Islands it flew to?

Yes it is a lot smaller than I imagined.

We also visited it in March while over there for my daughters wedding, going again in April for my 60th birthday.:55c8f94983015_default_happyparty:

I used to travel to Paris often and would see them from the airport, stunning aeroplane.

Incidently I stayed in the hotel that was damaged in the Paris crash a week to the day before the accident....... very sobering feeling.

I’ve been on the prototype that is (or was) at the Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovilton. I was amazed how narrow they are.

6 hours ago, Spider said:

I was lucky enough to fly on Concorde a dozen or so times back in the early/mid 1990s. It was quite a special experience.

That's something  I  wishes I  had done.I think we as a country  missed a trick and did not build Concorde mark 2.Think the Americans and noise levels  stopped that happening and as we know planes are much larger now.Airbourne buses.

I must admit I got quite excited about this thread at first glance thinking it was about concrete boats........my parents had one you see. Not that the aeroplane isnt jolly interesting too mind you, I looked on the one at Duxford a few years ago

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

All those years ago we would see / watch Concorde fly over us while waiting for trains at London Bridge. You would hear Concorde, before seeing her on her flight path into Heathrow :default_icon_luvlove:.                                                                                                             I am not into planes, but it was a great plane :default_icon_wave:.

Regards

Marina:default_stinky:

• Like 1

Some years ago I was on detached duty at Heathrow, put up in the Heathrow Hilton. At about ten to seven the bar started emptying of air crew and hostesses who made their way upstairs to a glassed lounge overlooking the main runway. We asked the barman what was going on - "Seven o'clock Concorde going off"  was the reply. Just goes to show the depth of feeling for the aircraft, even amongst hard-bitten airline professionals. 

I can remember that day we’ll back in November 2003 when Concorde came back to Filton for the last time...

I was lucky to see her fly over Avonmouth before she landed... Brought a lump to my throat seeing her fly over in all her glory and asking the question.... Why take something with all that beauty and speed and British engineering (with a little bit of help from the French) Stop flying it and ground it forever... crazy should of kept them flying what ever the cost...

What was sad was seeing her just parked up at the end of the runway and nothing being done with her for months...

Then British aerospace at the time opened a visitor centre... you had to prebook your tickets and arrive BAE filton then they bus you down to a portacabin what was next to Concorde... The staff who ran it had so much passion and love for the Concorde they gave us a talk and showed us a film of the last flight of her landing at filton... As I looked over to one of the staff she was wiping a tear away  and she said it doesn’t matter how many times I’ve watched this it still upsets me and can not believe it’s not flying anymore....

Then at 6 at a time they took us out to the Concorde and let us on there... That’s when it hits home what this plane was capable of... first is the size of her..  the size of her seemed smaller... 

The best bit was going onboard... the one thing what sticks in my mind was the Britax seats how lush they felt when you sat in them... 

It was a good day out... a sad one to knowing it won’t ever fly again... 

Im glad they’ve built a new museum for her... we will be visiting  back as it’s local to us...

• Like 2

I love Concorde. I wrote the thesis for my Travel and Tourism Diploma about the aircraft, and was lucky enough during my time in the industry to fly on her on three occasions. Many things which we take for granted in passenger aviation today, full function auto pilot, fly by wire etc first appeared on Concorde. Her history is fascinating. 

The Leeds runway was in view out if our window at home 4 miles away and came in across us. We'd hear it coming and watch it land. Takeoff was a white dot and then it powered up with a brownish cloud behind and the it popped up from behind the trees. We'd also go to viewing area I have lots of pics and video and the farmer opened his field for parking, every car alarm went off on takeoff. Also looked round the one on display in Manchester

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1