Fair Regent - September 2017

YnysMon

Thursday 28th September

Okay, I've gone a bit mad with photos in this post.

Didn’t wake until after 7 this morning. (Hurrah!) Even the dog didn’t seem to want to get up when I opened her cage.  Is there something about the air in Dilham?  We didn’t feel the need to hurry away this morning anyway.  The plan was to head for Womack going down the Ant and Bure on an out-going tide but to reach the turn-off for the Thurne at the turn of the tide (around 12’ish?) and to get to Womack around 1pm. 

After Seren’s early walk we started the day with a fry-up (local sausage from Roys meat-counter, fried potatoes, tomato, egg) and left Dilham Staithe around 9.30’ish.  We took it at our slowest speed down from Dilham to Wayford.  No problem getting under the bridge again, despite the heavy rain that we heard in the early hours).  It had started to drizzle again as we started off.

Drat!  Just beyond Wayford Bridge a boat very similar, if not the same, as the one we’d followed up stream yesterday turned out just before us and proceeded at the same pace as yesterday.  The trouble was that this morning we met a few other craft going in the opposite direction, and seemingly each time coming around a corner just after I’d tried to slow down and was drifting a bit. 

When we got to Barton Broad we decided to have a nosey at Barton Turf and Paddy’s Lane moorings, not having been there before.  We spotted a water hose on the Staithe and moored up to fill-up (our earlier plan had been to stop over at Gaye’s Staithe for water).  White Emblem from Ferry Marina was at the Staithe and the chap hiring her called out to ask what part of Wales we were from (having seen our flag).  Turned out he lives in a village in mid-Anglesey.  We ended up having quite a natter (or in Norfolk speak – ‘mardle’) about Anglesey and the place that Graham and I grew up in. 

Saying farewell, we carried on across Barton Broad and down the Ant at a nice slow pace (luckily without boats wanting to go at a faster pace behind us).  I find that having GPS does make me much more aware of how many people are speeding – which I’m sure we did too on our previous trips.  By this time the weather had dried up and the sun was coming out as we made our way down the Bure.

2017-09-28-1239-IMG_2247.thumb.JPG.113d0bc329e93c2ab07c96149a086950.JPG

Graham got some nice shots of Thurne Church...

2017-09-28-1242-IMG_2256.thumb.JPG.e65c9bec4be263c386803c335355e100.JPG

...and the cormorants on St Benet’s Level Drainage Mill opposite Thurne.

2017-09-28-1244-IMG_2265.thumb.JPG.58d7c3b496f22fa5a292a6ee6251af27.JPG

We got to Womack Dyke just after 1pm as planned, but all the moorings on the BA moorings were taken.  We wondered whether to continue to the Staithe, but it wasn’t somewhere we wanted to moor overnight as we’d been plagued with neighbours starting up their engine late in the evening last time we were there.  We did want to visit the butchers and Thrower’s though.  Luckily, we had spotted that the wild mooring between the BA moorings and the entrance to the dyke was free, so we turned around and bagged that.  The ground was slightly squelchy after last night’s rain but it wasn’t too muddy.

2017-09-28-1316-IMG_2272.thumb.JPG.79a3c40098739dccdaf5287bf6378644.JPG

Once moored we walked up to the village and had lunch at Alfresco Tea Room.  We visit the Tea Rooms at least once on each of our Broads holidays, sometimes more than once.  Graham had Brie and Cranberry Sandwiches, which were served with a side-salad and crisps, followed by a Bakewell Cake.  I had their Ham and Cheese Ploughman’s (cheddar, ham, warm bread roll, sliced apple, home-made coleslaw, salad-leaves, tomato, cucumber, sweetcorn and a side dish containing a pickled onion, piccalilli and chutney).  I couldn’t finish it!  The ham was particularly nice. 

We then visited the butchers for bacon and Thrower’s before returning to the boat, stopping off at Hunter’s Yard on the way to ask if it would be okay to drop in on their ‘Friend’s’ day on Saturday.  We just lazed about the rest of the afternoon and evening, though Seren did have a couple of walks (runs off the lead) along the riverside path.  It was pretty much the highlight of the holiday for me - just sitting on the front of the boat with a glass of wine, my holiday journal, a book, camera and a bag of swan food (proper stuff from the pet shop that doesn’t sink). 

2017-09-28-1715-IMG_2360.JPG.3573d2fc09dfd7850819875099f703ff.JPG

The Waitrose bag at my feet contained the (large) bag of swan food that we’d brought with us.  I didn’t do much reading as I was too busy watching other boats and wildlife.  It was a lovely sunny warm late afternoon and evening, though the skies had a few ominous black clouds here and there. 

2017-09-28-1551-IMG_2311.JPG.b01457944cc02a6cfb62531eb37e8e02.JPG

After 5pm there were fewer boats going past, so it was very peaceful. 

2017-09-28-1657-IMG_2348.thumb.JPG.02aa37ad4c675da330d91fd001cec8d9.JPG

The sunset was lovely too.  As soon as the sun had set a mist started to rise over the Bure and the surrounding fields, not so much on the dyke though. 

2017-09-28-1900-IMG_2371.JPG.17e1124cc739611dfa665a6f0ae48a64.JPG

When I looked out later the mist had mostly cleared and the half-moon was just coming out from behind a cloud, perfectly reflected in the still water of the dyke.  Spent some time looking at the stars. 

2017-09-28-1911-IMG_2380.JPG.2ea5c027e2620bcb74e047edace74d1a.JPG

Having had a late lunch, we didn’t need much this evening.  We just had half a Steak Slice each with a small salad.  Turned in early again.

• Like 10

I’m also loving your holiday tale Helen and agree with all that’s been said about your photos, they’re great and definitely worth entering into the calendar competition .

your latest instalment came in as I was posting this.

I love the last photo 

• Like 2

Too late for this year Helen, but next year watch out for Barnes Brinkcraft's brochure competition ... don't know why I'm telling people rather than keeping the chance of winning a holiday voucher to myself! :)

Lovely photos - Womack Dyke is one of our favourite spots and we also prefer that to the stern-on mooring at the staithe.

• Like 3

Friday 29th September

Last full day (as always…sob).  It had been raining overnight and although it had eased off when I started out taking Seren for a walk along the Thurne riverbank, it started again part-way through our walk and we got wet pretty quickly, so that I had to change my trousers when I got back to the boat.  We left Womack about 7.30am.  

The river was very quiet to start with.  It continued to rain on and off as we made our way up the Bure.  We had a detour into Blackhorse Broad (the first time we’ve managed to get in there) arriving around 9.  We mud-weighted and each had a bath/shower whilst leaving the engine running.  Graham put the heating on to try to get rid of some of the condensation.  We then continued on our way to Wroxham.  The rain had eased off fortunately. 

Just as I was approaching the mooring beside the bridge the pilot brought another craft through the bridge to moor there, so I had to turn around and do a second approach.  Still, at least we didn’t have to phone the pilot or moor up properly to wait for him.  We enquired whether we might be able to get back through the bridge tomorrow morning, as the handover chap had advised that a good option on the final night was to moor the other side of the bridge.  The pilot advised us that it would be fine, and to call him at 8.30 the following morning from the Hoveton moorings between the bridges, so we were all set for an overnight stay at Coltishall!  Before leaving we filled up with water at the tap outside the Le Boat boatyard which is on the Wroxham bank between the two bridges.  It works on a £1-coin slot and the timer is set for about 5 minutes, which is more than enough time to fill up.  We handed the hose to a couple who had moored up behind us as we’d filled up in half the allotted time.

We continued at our slowest pace up river, taking a detour into Wroxham’s Bridge Broad (another first), and spotting more kingfishers on our way.  This isn’t a very good shot, but I thought I was lucky to catch it at all since I was on the helm at the time. 

2017-09-29-1120-IMG_2398.thumb.JPG.db16b31192408c7cee26bebc260f7563.JPG

I always like the first view of Belaugh.

2017-09-29-1149-IMG_2403.thumb.JPG.0cd61b21a6149420d645a417fa33c892.JPG

Seren was enjoying the view too.

2017-09-29-1151-IMG_2405.thumb.JPG.9fafdb169abd77246e1089c09c55a783.JPG

Coltishall moorings looked fairly quiet, and the availability of electric posts was tempting, but we continued on our way and moored at Colishall Locks, arriving around 12.30. 

2017-09-29-1408-IMG_2416.thumb.JPG.6e2b1610c84062c81d17ae98b8d564ed.JPG

We then walked to the Recruiting Sergeant for lunch.  Don’t the trees on the path from the locks to the main road look spooky!

2017-09-29-1558-IMG_2422.thumb.JPG.993d645c69fa6988a6fdf2a2fe06b13b.JPG

The Recruiting Sergeant looked fairly busy but they found us a table.  I think I would book in advance if we were planning to go there again though.  It looked full of ‘ladies who lunch’.  Great to find another dog friendly pub.  Graham had Pork topped with Bacon Jam and a Rarebit with sweet potato fries and side salad.  I had Sea Bream stuffed with a Prawn Jambalaya also served with sweet potato fries and side salad.  All very yummy, but they serve such a huge portion that I couldn’t finish my fries and salad. 

The rain had eased off by the time we walked back to the boat, but the sun didn’t really come out much apart from the odd gleam now and then.  We chilled away the afternoon on board until about 4 when we took Seren back across the main road for a walk up-river.  Someone had been busy cutting back what looked like very thick undergrowth, so the path was fairly clear.  It was very quiet and still up there, and a bit wild.  It would be a lovely place to go in a canoe.   2017-09-29-1628-IMG_2426.thumb.JPG.213bdb5c6269bac616af9d1c9efe8651.JPG

We could have walked all the way to Buxton (half way between Coltishall and Aylesham) along the river, and it looks on the OS map as though you could go further, but we only went a mile or so from Horsham before turning back.

Watched some TV in the evening.  Again, we weren’t really hungry after such a large lunch so just had a freshly baked baguette (the type you buy part-baked, but this one was a bit special, a brown multi-seed type) with some smoked Norfolk Dapple cheese, sliced ham and tomato. 

There was a lovely sunset this evening.  I was too lazy to leap up and get my camera though. 

Helen

• Like 10

Hi Helen & Graham thanks for the great photos and tale.

I do believe our paths crossed at I think Someleyton one afternoon midweek

you were moored in front of us for an hour or so. (We had the Yellow lab )

I recall Graham keeping your boat spotless with the mop.

John

• Like 1

Hi John.  We stopped at Somerlayton late Sunday morning.  Isn't a lovely mooring!  It helped that weather was so beautiful that day. Graham vaguely remembers mopping up muddy paw-prints.  However, if you were there later in the week it may have been Fair Regent 1 or Fair Regent 3 as we came across them a few times during the week.

all the best

Helen

Saturday 30th September

We had set the alarm for 6am this morning, so that we would be ready to set off at dawn for the journey back down from Coltishall Locks to Wroxham.  Graham took Seren for her walk whilst I started packing.  We set off a couple of minutes after sunrise, which was just before 7am and arrived at Wroxham about 8.15, just in time to complete our packing before calling the pilot. 

I’m glad we had the pilot to take us through the bridge this morning as he took us all the way into the NDB basin.  It was very impressive how he manoeuvred the boat into a very tight corner.  By the way, one of the advantages of hiring with NBD is not having to pay any pilot fee. 

We managed to get our stuff off the boat fairly quickly, being moored not that far from where our car had been parked for the week.  I was pleased to find that we got £23.30 back on our fuel deposit.  Having travelled so far, I was afraid that we would have to pay extra, but then we did try out utmost to travel everywhere with the tide and I had planned out a variety of possible routes in advance, taking tides into account.  I guess we’d have saved even more if we hadn’t arrived at Yarmouth before slack-water on our way back.

After leaving NDB we went for our usual final morning breakfast at The Staithe and Willow, Horning, which is very dog friendly and always serves a good breakfast.  We then made our way to Hunter’s Yard, which was holding an open day for ‘Friends of Hunter’s Yard’.  I’d sent off my membership form for the Friends just before our holiday, a bit late really, but we had a really warm welcome.  Although we hadn’t booked any activities in advance we were invited to go on a morning wildlife walk if we wished and they managed to find a couple of spare places on an afternoon sail on Wood Sorrell for us.  Late morning, we walked up to the village to buy ourselves a picnic lunch, and sat around chatting to other Friends during the lunch break when the morning walkers and sailors had returned.  They even had the Nancy Oldfield Boat ready to take out less mobile/elderly Friends for a jaunt on the river.  The weather was perfect, with just enough wind for a relaxing sail and beautifully warm and sunny.  What a lovely end to our week!  I didn’t manage to take any photos whilst we were sailing as I was too busy trying to ensure that Seren kept out of the way, but here's a few that I took at lunchtime.

2017-09-30-1302-IMG_2441.thumb.JPG.aa9bee6d5c87f5eded325df521c13185.JPG

2017-09-30-1328-IMG_2447.thumb.JPG.1e177f9a72bed43c09c1472bb3c6b586.JPG

Whilst at the boatyard we noticed a large number of boats from Martham making their way down river.  Sorry that only the foreground is in focus!

2017-09-30-1303-IMG_2443.thumb.JPG.97a722540b289c45d7064edf2c5e0ba9.JPG

On the way home we decided to stop off at Acle Bridge Inn for a drink and a snack.  It’s not somewhere we’ve stopped at before, but I’ve noted that a lot of NBN members rate it highly.  It was shortly before 5pm, but we didn’t want to be having to make dinner when we got home.  I had their Haddock and Mozzarella Fish-Cake Starter with a side of chips whilst Graham had an Egg Mayo Sandwich which came with crisps and a side salad.  All lovely and freshly made.  I must say I think the service in the Bridge Inn is about the friendliest and most professional that I’ve come across anywhere.  Certainly, somewhere we’ll be going back to.  Lovely pint of Little Sharpie too. 

What a lovely week!

Helen

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Fair Regent Boat Review

Fair Regent is a very comfortable boat for two,  though there are two seats, one in the cabin and one in the lounge, which extend under the decks that can be made up as additional beds, so you could fit a family of four on board.  It's a modern version of a 'bathtub' with a split sliding roof.  We were looking for a boat that is bridge friendly, has an island bed, a decent sized fridge (in my opinion some are so tiny as to be impractical) and enough space in the lounge area for our dog’s crate, which we didn’t want to dismantle during the day in case we need to put the dog in it during stern moorings or when a pilot came aboard.  We also thought it a bonus to have a proper bathroom with domestic loo and over-bath shower, rather than the normal tiny wet-room type arrangement.  Nice touch having towels provided too.

We were really pleased with how spacious the boat is and the amount of storage space.  There is plenty of kitchen cupboard space and another double-door cupboard to right of the bow door, plus deep drawers under the sofa.  In the bedroom there is a wardrobe (backed by a window oddly) and a set of four drawers plus a cupboard each side of the bed.  We found the island bed very comfortable, as was the sofa, though we were glad we’d brought extra cushions as the ones provided were quite thin.  Everything was very clean.  The upholstery was fresh looking and all looked well maintained.  The drop-leaf table was pretty sturdy and luckily there was room for the both the dog's crate and the table between the sofa and helm seat.  It was well equipped, especially kitchen wise.  I did take my own frying pan and sharp knife with me, which I was glad of.  I did wish that I’d taken a small baking sheet or similar though as the grill pan provided was fairly small.  We appreciated the welcome pack (prosecco, crisps, tea, coffee grounds, UHT milk sugar, Broadcaster newspaper).  It was also good to be given a proper Broads map, with moorings, speed limits, pubs etc. marked on it.  Previously we’ve relied on our OS map.  Making up the bed wasn’t a problem, but that’s another first for us as the Ferry Marina and Hunter’s Yard boats that we’ve hired previously have come with beds made up for you, which is a nice touch. 

We very much appreciated having GPS (another first), which really helped our awareness of speed limits.  Also appreciated having indicators for the waste tank and battery charge.  We only used the heating on one occasion, but it seemed fairly efficient.  We couldn’t see the point of having the thermostat hidden away below the sofa seating though.

We loved how friendly the staff at NBD are.  We had a lovely welcome at the reception and they were very accommodating to our request to pick up the boat earlier than 4pm (as early as 1pm).  We appreciated having a fairly short handover as we wanted to get on our way, though we later wished that we’d asked more questions regarding checking the engine and so on, as the Skippers Handbook folder was big on giving instructions on things to check but a bit scant on how to locate the things that needed to be checked.  The engine was below our bed, and it took a bit of fumbling before we got the knack of how to flip the mattress back and raise the bottom end of the bed to access the engine.  Despite searching every nook and cranny we never did find the weed filters, which was a bit worrying given the number of weedy places we visited (up to Coltishall Locks, Dilham and Geldeston).  Still, we kept an eye on the engine outflow and temperature and didn’t appear to have any problems.  I liked the fact that you could cut down on the engine noise by shutting the bedroom door whilst underway.  

We also liked the second folder that was provided that contained lot of information on places to moor, places of interest, walks and places to eat.  The other thing that impressed us about NBD is their emphasis on protecting the Broads environment.  They advise customers to bring eco-friendly toiletries (which we have been doing) and they also supply eco-friendly washing up liquid and a fat trap.  There was also a separate tap for filtered water.  We didn’t use this much as we’re in the habit of bringing bottled water with us. 

Things we weren’t so keen on.  Readers of my accounts of the first few days will have noted my moans about the throttle.  It had so much play on it that it was really difficult to control the speed of the boat, especially at at low speeds.  It was also impossible to stick strictly to a 3mph speed limit as the slowest we managed all week was about 3.4 – 3.5mph, which made it a bit awkward following craft that were travelling slightly slower than that.  We did get the hang of the throttle by the third day.  I was a bit worried initially that the boat didn't have a bow thruster, but didn't really miss it once I'd got the hang of the throttle.

We weren’t impressed that the inverter seemed to be inoperable most of the time when we were underway.  It did work when we were hooked up to shore power.  We did get it to work one day whilst underway, but I’ve no idea why it worked on that occasion and not the rest of the week.  Shore power didn’t seem to do much either.  We hardly drew down any credit (luckily, we were drawing on other people’s credit and didn’t need to use any of our own cards).  The shore power didn’t seem to make any difference to the temperature of the water.  Maybe it would have helped if we needed to run the heating, but the evenings were too balmy to need the heating. 

We were also a bit miffed to find that the caffetiere filter section was broken and loose, and so ineffectual.  I'm betting that whoever broke it hadn’t reported it.  We ended up buying ourselves an additional caffetiere (rather a nice stainless steel one, which we’re pleased to have).  It seemed rather a silly thing to call the Boatyard about, so we didn’t. 

We also found the swab cushion on the helm seat slightly sagged (either that or too thin).  When either of us sat at the helm for any length of time the wooden coaming that surrounded the seat was a bit uncomfortable, so we used one of the boat’s cushions to give a little more padding. 

All in all, though, these are quibbles. It was a lovely comfortable boat and we had a wonderful week, and we would consider hiring the boat again, especially since NBD offer customers a 5% loyalty discount on their next booking.  We did think the Ferry Marina boats were better mechanically though, in terms of the throttle, being able to run heating for a few hours without running the engine, and being able to use the inverter whilst underway, so may hire from them next time despite the NBD discount. 

I took a few photos of the boat.  They were taken mid-week when the boat wasn’t it’s tidiest, but hopefully they’ll help to convey what the boat was like.  NBD have a good ‘walkthrough’ facility in their details of the boat.  Link to Fair Regent details here:  https://www.broads.co.uk/boats/fair-regent/ .

Helen

2017-09-28-0855-IMG_2227.thumb.JPG.f3f7e0a61c69c66bde4e5ef598c4d7db.JPG

2017-09-28-0856-IMG_2229.thumb.JPG.fd138f8d8fab8dde2e689a10a71cc659.JPG

2017-09-28-0921-IMG_2239.JPG.59c510562637a51804632bb166cd5c92.JPG

2017-09-28-0921-IMG_2238.thumb.JPG.a1a94a55be43bba71ff9470d5a99529a.JPG

2017-09-28-0857-IMG_2231.thumb.JPG.a4ce5e2c1eeaf127a1323a0b056724da.JPG

2017-09-28-0903-IMG_2232.thumb.JPG.13511396ce71217a322b9f27f7eb418f.JPG

2017-09-28-0903-IMG_2233.thumb.JPG.5aeae03ac3eb4c443f2bd496b6e5aac0.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I think they've got bigger fish to fry at the moment Helen!

Really interesting review, thanks for posting. As I mentioned earlier, we've hired 2 of the Regent class and would agree with your findings. The GPS is since our time and it looks as if a few other mods have been made. The throttle seems odd, I suspect this was a fault, not an intended modification. Did you mention it when you took the boat back? I certainly can't recall having a similar problem on either of them.

The shore power is an oddity. All it does is charge the batteries so its not a lot of use really. We only used it once until we realised how it worked. As you say the engine is under the bed coupled with hydraulic drive. I can't remember where the weed filters are  - I think we were shown, I seem to think it was in an odd place.

Agree, staff are very good. On the second Regent hire we had problems with the engine and water heating, basically the temperature never got above 40 degrees and the young engineer we called out steadfastly refused to accept that there was a problem. That episode put me off them somewhat.

Having said that the boats are very comfortable and your review would be very helpful to anyone thinking of hiring them. Excellent pics too!

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback chaps. We did mention the throttle when we got back, I mentioned it to the person filling the fuel up on the boat next to us...she commented that they were probably used to the travel on the throttle and so didn't notice it as much (fair comment). I also reported what we felt were 'snags' on the feedback form that they gave us. Actually, we were impressed that they provided a feedback form, we haven't had one one of those before.  There was also an extra feedback form on moorings, which I suppose came from the BA.   If so, good on them. That was another first for us.

I'm wondering whether to email my review to NBD, in a constructive spirit naturally. What do others think?

• Like 4

Superb review and write up Helen, thank you. Concerning the boat, I would have been miffed about the same things as you. It sounds to me like the batteries were in poor condition as I've rarely needed to run the engine when using the heating. There's no reason why you shouldn't email NBD and I'd be interested in their response. 

• Like 2

Another great holiday tale Helen and some great photos.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea to email your review to the yard, it’s all constructive.

I was thanked a couple of years ago by Lesley at Silverline the for mentioning that the toaster didn’t work. She said that people rarely tell them about things like that when they return the boat.

ps. After reading Simon’s comment above. We have never ever run an engine in order to run the heating or charge the batteries for that matter in all the years we’ve been coming (30+) so agree it sounds like a battery or charging problem

• Like 3

Helen, thank you for such a lovely holiday tale and photos that really are stunning, I especially like the one of you sitting outside the boat, relaxing with a glass of wine, doesn't get much better than that, does it?

I can't see any harm in you sending them your review but I'm with Howard, if they reply let us know, not that I'm nosy like howard or anything :default_norty:

Thank you again, just brilliant

Grace :default_icon_kiss:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Really enjoyed your write up Helen. Your photos are lovely, I think you could make up the NBN calendar for 2018 all by yourself! 

We hired Fair Regent back in 2003, I think it was fairly new then and there was only one of them. I thought it a lovely boat and I would think the things added over the years have improved it even more. When is the next trip?

• Like 1

Thanks very much for all your nice comments.

Not sure about the next trip yet.  Perhaps March or May?  I have started checking out boats and prices though!  If I can be on the Broads then at least I can plan to be!

Helen

• Like 5

Concerning feed back to boat yards, we got a form to fill in from Herbies last year, and because of the gift bag, free pen and a Led torch(which might be an idea for NBN merchandise) I would make the effort to fill it in and not use it for a table mat. Basically the niggles I made was the curtain was too short for the retainer of the rear window which was slanted and over hanged the bed. The socket didn't work for the microwave, one of the bedrooms lights didn't work and the tv was only watchable in their basin.

I didn't want to call an engineer out for things that didn't cause us too much hassle, but when I mentioned them in my feed back form, I didn't even get a reply. I think you can appreciate that when you are hiring Regal light in peak period, common courtesy would inspire me to come back again. Unfortunately I do wonder if some hire yards are only looking for the good feedback to post on their website.