Solo Hiring Possible Issues

Broads01

I phoned Richardsons today to make what was my 3rd booking next year (first time I'm doing that many, more to follow why that is in the members area). This will be a solo hire, something I've done with Richardsons on 3 previous occasions. This was the first time, however, where the staff member said "ooh, hang on, I need to check on that" and then put me on hold for around 5 minutes. She eventually came back and told me all was OK but they would need to "check" (can't remember for what)  when I took over the boat. It was something to do with insurance and them having been caught out by solo hirers who hadnt admitted to being such. "If you fall in nobody's with you", or words to that effect. She took the booking (phew) but I'm slightly anxious I may get questions, or worst case, refusal, I haven't had before. My experience of handovers recently, solo or not has been a rapid firm filling exercise where they've taken me at my word on my experience. 

I do hope Richardsons don't go down the route that Herbert's Woods and others have taken in insisting on at least two people. Neither Mrs Broads01 nor my children will ever want to come boating as often as me, I feel, so my need for solo hiring will always be there. 

• Like 1

Did you go through Central Bookings or via the actual boatyard?

I ask as I booked Salerno out of Richardson’s a few weeks ago for March and didn’t have a problem at all. I called the boatyard, asked to be put through to ‘bookings’, a very pleasant woman answered and I said I wanted to make a solo crew booking and gave the boat name and dates I wanted. She asked if I had made any previous solo bookings and when I said I had made several, she asked for my name and details. I could hear her tapping on a keyboard and a few moments later she said that was fine, gave me the price and the deposit details. She then emailed me the booking details that clearly show me as the single hirer.

It may be that you spoke to a new member of staff?

I certainly don’t want to have Richardson’s close down on single hires, they are the only boatyard that continues to do so as far as I know.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

If solo cruising becomes a problem maybe NBN could set up a 'buddy club' of people who need cruising partners.

Just a thought. Though I'm sure that solo cruising has its own attractions. Peace, perfect peace. 

Helen

The joy of solo cruising for me is the solitude, peace and simply being on my own completely, something that is quite rare nowadays. For a week or at least a few days, I don't have to be responsible for anyone but myself. Pure bliss! 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, TheBof said:

Did you go through Central Bookings or via the actual boatyard?

I ask as I booked Salerno out of Richardson’s a few weeks ago for March and didn’t have a problem at all. I called the boatyard, asked to be put through to ‘bookings’, a very pleasant woman answered and I said I wanted to make a solo crew booking and gave the boat name and dates I wanted. She asked if I had made any previous solo bookings and when I said I had made several, she asked for my name and details. I could hear her tapping on a keyboard and a few moments later she said that was fine, gave me the price and the deposit details. She then emailed me the booking details that clearly show me as the single hirer.

It may be that you spoke to a new member of staff?

I certainly don’t want to have Richardson’s close down on single hires, they are the only boatyard that continues to do so as far as I know.

I phoned the boatyard similar to yourself Bof. Perhaps their approach does vary slightly depending on the staff member concerned. 

58 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Freedom allows solo cruising of smaller boats.  We have a few regulars. 

Thank you Andy. I hired from you solo in 2012 and it's reassuring to know you haven't changed your policy. 

I've always thought resistance to experienced solo hirers is very bizarre. Herbert Woods and Co would rather trust a newbie who happens to have someone else on board who may be offering no assistance with handling the boat anyway. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheBof said:

The joy of solo cruising for me is the solitude, peace and simply being on my own completely, something that is quite rare nowadays. For a week or at least a few days, I don't have to be responsible for anyone but myself. Pure bliss! 

Quite right too, I have been solo cruising on my own boat for years. I have had a number of crews but all bar one have been useless. The only one that was any good went and got himself hooked and married.

After a while you get to enjoying the freedom that solo cruising gives and I no longer want a crew on board even if there was a useful one to be had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

I phoned the boatyard similar to yourself Bof. Perhaps their approach does vary slightly depending on the staff member concerned. 

Mmm, interesting? 

To put my mind at ease about this I will call the boatyard tomorrow and ask. I will post their response on the forum.

Right, Plan B, now about to look at Freedom's website. I haven't been down on the Southern Broads for decades, the tides have always been at the wrong time during my tips, so maybe this might turn out to be the chance to do so.

• Like 2

I phoned Richardson's today and spoke to their booking office and asked if there had been a change in policy regarding single person hires. The person I spoke to sounded rather surprised at the question, replying that they had had no discussions or instructions from their management on the subject and as far as they were concerned, once they were satisfied that you can handle the boat you wanted to hire, then they would take the booking. They would 'obviously ask' the prospective hirer about any previous experience with hires from them and generally chat to the person and make a decision based on that conversation.

She went on to say that the single person hirer may have to demonstrate on pick up day that they were capable of handling the boat if there were any concerns "at that time" that they couldn't. I didn't pick up on this comment until after the call had ended.

It was only after the call had ended that I thought that perhaps making that call wasn't such a good idea. They were bound to talk about my call in the office, and offices being what they are, leak information like a sieve. Soon 'management', particularly 'senior management', get wind of the conversation, and 'senior managers' being what they are, be it in government, big, medium or small private sector, start thinking about something they hadn't thought about before. Then some idiot with an 'ology' wants to make a name for him or herself, or exert their authority because everyone treats them like 'an idiot with an ology', and stops something that has been running smoothly and without problems for ages. If that happens in this case - Sorry, my error!

(Just re-read the last paragraph. I really must stop allowing my opinion of 'senior managers' coming to the surface all the time)

• Like 2

I think all yards are understandably a bit cautious initially. However my experience, particularly with the smaller yards, is that when they get to know you and see that you are sensible (ha ha) then they will be very accommodating. I think they just need to be satisfied that you know what you are doing. certainly Swancraft, and now Bridgecraft, have been very good to us and no reasonable request is refused. I never needed to ask Swancraft but I seem to recall they were fine with single hire if you were known to them.

Herbert Woods are great but when Mrs N was in hospital I did offer to bring the boat (Freedom of Light) back single handed. They said no, they would pick it up from Wroxham themselves. I could have managed without any problem but if that's their policy that's fair enough.

I struggling to think of a holiday without Mrs Nog...............:default_icon_e_surprised: 

• Like 4

Morning all,

Martham Dev. are happy to hire any of their boats to solo cruisers. I have solo hired all of their centre-cockpit cruisers apart from Silver Jubilee and they are all easy to manage ( in my opinion) as long as you have a degree of competence in handling a boat and, importantly, a reasonable degree of mobility.

I hired Juliette a few weeks ago and this time I was actually very glad to have one of my sons with me as I had previously injured a foot and for the first time was rather pleased not to have to jump some distance down from the boat, particularly, as it turned out, at Womack.

Best wishes

Charles

PS: Very enjoyable and knowledgeable Forum by the way so thank you team for that

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 years later...
On 10/10/2017 at 05:16, grendel said:

I can only see a problem if you were a first time hirer, and wanted to solo cruise, if I were a solo hirer I would want to start with a smaller boat (maybe a day boat sized boat with sleeping accommodation and limited cooking facilities)

I have been boating on the broads since I was 8 years old with silver line.  I’ve had everything from a 28 foot bathtub to a 44 foot flying bridge cruiser.  Without sounding arrogant I feel that I would be comfortable and able solo cruising.  Based on the fact that my last 4 boats on the broads ( a 35 foot flying bridge alpha 3 times and a 42 foot sliding canopy cruiser ) have all been with my partner.  My partner doesn’t like the cold and on several occasions as we were not blessed with warm sunny weather I solo helmed the cruiser and moored without assistance.  Stern on moorings are simple.  You simply moor as usual then leave the boat gently in reverse to pin it against the quay while you tie up.  Side on moorings are trickier.  I found that by laying the bow and stern ropes down the sides of the boat is the only way in my opinion.  One simply comes in as usual then hops onto the side, takes both ropes to steady the boat until you feel ready.  Then simply tie the stern rope first as you should be coming. In against the tide.  The tide itself should be enough to stop the bow drifting out but even so you will still have both ropes at hand.  Once the stern is tied off simply tie off the bow.  I’ve done both methods on numerous occasions and become competent enough to solo moor every time without the help of my partner.  I have a boat booked this May and due to a relationship break down I’ll be asking the boat yard if they will honour the booking for one instead of two.  Your opinion on this would be very welcome ?

• Like 2

it may well depend on the yard, some have a definitely no solo hirers (and have also been known to refuse when one of two were less able. so it will definitely be a case of talk to the yard, there are still some yards that hire to experienced solo boaters (marthams for one)

Generally speaking the smaller yards tend to be more flexible, the larger ones are more likely to have a blanket policy. Bridgecraft have been absolutely fantastic but they do know us.... :default_norty:

A yard are more likely to be accomodating if you have 'history' with them. 

Having said that it costs nothing to ask! Good luck. 

Fairly certain that Richardson’s stopped solo hires about three years ago.  Any that were pre-booked were cancelled and refunded.  The reason given was due to insurance considerations.

As far as I’m aware, Barnes hire to solo helms and Bridgecraft do, but only if you book through the yard, not Hoseasons.  Silverline used to, but their fleet is now at Richardson’s.

Hi Chris, I'm a regular solo hirer. As has been said, it's all down to boatyard policy and it tends to be either a yes (with suitable experience such as yourself) or a definite no. It still niggles me that Richardsons stopped solo hiring and yet they're perfectly happy to hire to anybody else, somehow having two novice adults being safer than having one experienced one. 

Yes boatyards:

Barnes

Bridgecraft

Ferry Marina

Marthams

Pacific

Summercraft (I think)

No boatyards:

Richardsons 

Herbert Woods

NBD

Brooms (I think although you could ask).

• Like 1