Another Booking Agent From Times Past

Broads01

I have never heard of this myself. The land on the island opposite Thorpe Gardens used to be Hazells boatyard and they were one of the original members of Blakes, before the War, but I have no knowledge of any others except Harts, Jenners and Wards.

I don't remember the name along Bungalow Lane or Griffin Lane, either.

2 hours ago, Stationerystill said:

I have not heard of this company either. Has anybody got any information on Houghs Holiday Hire of Thorpe? I am doing a presentation next year on the Thorpe Boatbuilding industry for the Thorpe History Group and this yard is one I have no information on.

Now that's something  I would like to attend

• Like 1

Bit of guess work here but Hough's did survive the reincarnation of Broads Holidays into the Helmsman Association and in 1974 the fleet was at Corig Cruisers yard. Assuming the Corig boatyard was that of Hough's then it was down Bungalow Lane, next to Jenner Bros. This yard was marketed by Blakes after Helmsmans demise, became Kingfisher Cruisers and is now Freedom.

Fred

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stationerystill said:

It will be advertised on our website when the programme is published at www.thorpe-history-group.org and also on our Facebook page.

Really wish I could be down there in February to hear your talk but it's a bit far from Runcorn! 

Would it be possible after your talk to put a transcript onto the Forum?

Fred

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Regulo said:

It seems from the catalogue they were based at the now defunct Marina Keys site. I certainly never knew of this.

Some companies I've never heard of, either.

Broads Holidays was established in  the 1960s and always based in Great Yarmouth. Prior to moving to Port of Yarmouth Marina their address was at Hamilton Road. 

A connection with Thorpe is that when it became Marina Keys most of the hire fleet (Line Azzurro) originated from Kingfisher Cruisers.

As far as I can know there where five hire fleets based around Great Yarmouth over the years. At the Marina there was Harlan Cruiser, Viva (which originated or moved to Loddon. Can't remember which.) and Line Azzurro. Bure Slipways was a Hoseason yard based between the bridges, now a car repair establishment although the slipway is still there. On Breydon itself was the Cobholm Boatyard.

I often wonder what first time hirers thought on arrival after all the leafy photographs in the agency brochures!

Fred

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

Back in the early sixites We hired one of there 40 foot plus Steel Hulled Boats Breydon Monarch

Oh yes, the bong boats. So called because of the resounding "Bonnnggg" they made when striking the bank (or another boat).

• Like 1