Boats For Two Families

Davydine

Hi everyone,

Well, I am thrilled to say we have our next Broads adventure booked, following a fantastic weekend on Broads Serenade from Richardsons earlier this year, next year, we have booked Regal light from Herbert Woods, but I would appreciate your collective wisdom to see if there are any other boats we should consider, you can tell I am already thinking about 2019!

We are a group of two families, with 4 adults and 4 children, so we need a boat with2 doubles and 4 single berths. I generally prefer either a centre cockpit or, as regal light, an outside helm, but I am always open to suggestions.

Are there any other boats you would recommend for us?

Thanks,

David

Hello David,

I haven't hired for a large group for many years but I recall Griff of Broad's Ambition fame saying that he always hires 2 of the Jewel of Light class, also from Herbert Woods, for his group trips when he needs a decent number of individual berths:

https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/boating-holidays/our-boats/jewel-of-light.html

I have just looked at the layout and it looks ideal for a 2 double/4 single configuration.

It is a lot older than the boat that you have just booked but it might suit.

Best wishes

Charles

1 hour ago, charlesa said:

Hello David,

I haven't hired for a large group for many years but I recall Griff of Broad's Ambition fame saying that he always hires 2 of the Jewel of Light class, also from Herbert Woods, for his group trips when he needs a decent number of individual berths:

https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/boating-holidays/our-boats/jewel-of-light.html

I have just looked at the layout and it looks ideal for a 2 double/4 single configuration.

It is a lot older than the boat that you have just booked but it might suit.

Best wishes

Charles

Thanks Charles, I did have a look at Jewel of light and it looks very good, the only downside, and I know this is being petty, is that one couple gets the massive forecabin and the other double cabin is a little on the cozy side, but certainly one to consider. 

In truth, I think the two boats that we have hired hit a sweet spot that suits our needs. Dazzling light is another that I would like to hire, but it was already booked.

I don't mind an older boat and we are thinking of hiring Ibiza from Richardsons for a week next year, but when it is the two families it's nice to have a few more creature comforts.

Now, if Richardsons could squeeze an extra cabin in to Commander or Commodore....!

Cheers,

David

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello David,

Have you thought about syndicate ownership, our boat is to small for all of you but Thunder has 8 berths. Lightening 7 berths and Moonlight Shadow 6.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, I don't think it would would work for the 8 of us, but an interesting idea for my family of four. Not sure that I get enough time off work to justify 4 weeks on the Broads, and it would be difficult to tie my annual allocation to school holidays, but if I was retired I would be very interesting.

cheers,

David

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello David,

Have you thought about syndicate ownership, our boat is to small for all of you but Thunder has 8 berths. Lightening 7 berths and Moonlight Shadow 6.

Regards

Alan

Alan

what bridges does Ranworth Breeze go under, obviously not wroxham or potter

Yarmouth at low water, but what about Ludham ?

can she also get to Norwich YS ?

19 minutes ago, Snowy said:

Alan

what bridges does Ranworth Breeze go under, obviously not wroxham or potter

Yarmouth at low water, but what about Ludham ?

can she also get to Norwich YS ?

Hi Snowy,

Ranworth Breeze & Southern Crusader can get under the Yarmouth bridges on suitable tides, sadly Ludham is out, you may well have seen Fair Diplomat going under Ludham but that is a special lowered mould that gets the air draft down to around 8 foot 6 inches, Ranworth Breeze has an air-draft of 9 foot 8 inches. 

Yes I have been to the Norwich Yacht Station.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Okay, we had two families (4 adults, 4 children) and two dogs onboard Thunder in the summer. It was a squeeze but there are not many bigger hireboats around anyway- but with only 3 cabins 2 are in the saloon but to be honest if you went for 4 cabins would the saloon be big enough for 8 people?

You can hire true equivalent hireboat: http://www.ferry-marina.co.uk/cruiser-6

And don't forget with a four week share on Thunder you can have 4 people named to use her. But the syndicate is currently full at the moment :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Okay, we had two families (4 adults, 4 children) and two dogs onboard Thunder in the summer. It was a squeeze but there are not many bigger hireboats around anyway- but with only 3 cabins 2 are in the saloon but to be honest if you went for 4 cabins would the saloon be big enough for 8 people?

You can hire true equivalent hireboat: http://www.ferry-marina.co.uk/cruiser-6

And don't forget with a four week share on Thunder you can have 4 people named to use her. But the syndicate is currently full at the moment :-)

I have a feeling that my parents hired a similar boat to Thunder back in the day when Brooms still had them in the hire fleet. Commodore Bridgemaster if I remember correctly. Lovely boat, I particularly like the cabin with two single berths, really good use of the space. 

Unfortunately I don't think converting the saloon would work when we holiday with friends, but we will only do that once a year, it would work with family.

i think I have lots of questions about syndicate ownership!

13 minutes ago, Davydine said:

I have a feeling that my parents hired a similar boat to Thunder back in the day when Brooms still had them in the hire fleet. Commodore Bridgemaster if I remember correctly. Lovely boat, I particularly like the cabin with two single berths, really good use of the space. 

Unfortunately I don't think converting the saloon would work when we holiday with friends, but we will only do that once a year, it would work with family.

i think I have lots of questions about syndicate ownership!

Hi David

We have a share in Moonlight Shadow which has a share available.

We had lots of questions too but thanks to the help we received from members on here and our own investigations we bought our share and are delighted we did do. If you visit the broads regularly, it is well worth it.

Jay

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice, this thread has certainly gone off in a direction I hadn't expected.

I grew up having a week on the Broads every year, but we have only just rediscovered them now that I have a family of my own. The idea of syndicate ownership had never occurred to me, but if we enjoy a few more boating holidays over the next couple of years then it is definitely something to consider.

thanks once again,

David

• Like 2

Hi David

Any of these might work:

Silver Illusion - Silverline - Brundall
San Bernadette - Richardsons - Stalham
Sand Piper - Sandersons - Reedham
Silver Reflection - Silverline - Brundall
Brinks Emperor - Barnes Brinkcraft - Wroxham
Pacific Imperial - Pacific - Loddon
Brinks Symphony - Barnes Brinkcraft - Wroxham

David

Hi Davydine,

I believe Lightning currently has 2 shares for sale, and might have 3 due to me possibly selling my share, though i have`nt made up my mind yet.  If you`re well experienced in cruising on large cruisers on the Broads, then check out Lightnings website where a link to share sales can be found.

One thing people should consider when buying into a syndicate is that you are buying into an investment which needs continued investing. That means it`s NOT all about cheap holidays, it`s about joining a likeminded group with a love of boating who wish to keep their investment in tp top condition. 

The down side of some syndicates is the draw allocation system, where if like me, you suffer from eternal bad luck, you always draw the unfavourable weeks, and others always draw the premium weeks. It`s why i`m considering selling my share, as i`m always drawing weeks at the beginning of our spring season, and the end of our autumn season, these weeks being bereft of daylight hours and bloody cold.  What annoys me is the lack of will by other share owners that are not keen to show any decency and give up the odd premium week once in a while to help others who always draw the unfavourable ones. 

I`m not exactly painting a good picture of syndicate ownership, but if a syndicate has a fair system for its allocation process, then it`s worth considering.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Davydine,

I believe Lightning currently has 2 shares for sale, and might have 3 due to me possibly selling my share, though i have`nt made up my mind yet.  If you`re well experienced in cruising on large cruisers on the Broads, then check out Lightnings website where a link to share sales can be found.

One thing people should consider when buying into a syndicate is that you are buying into an investment which needs continued investing. That means it`s NOT all about cheap holidays, it`s about joining a likeminded group with a love of boating who wish to keep their investment in tp top condition. 

The down side of some syndicates is the draw allocation system, where if like me, you suffer from eternal bad luck, you always draw the unfavourable weeks, and others always draw the premium weeks. It`s why i`m considering selling my share, as i`m always drawing weeks at the beginning of our spring season, and the end of our autumn season, these weeks being bereft of daylight hours and bloody cold.  What annoys me is the lack of will by other share owners that are not keen to show any decency and give up the odd premium week once in a while to help others who always draw the unfavourable ones. 

I`m not exactly painting a good picture of syndicate ownership, but if a syndicate has a fair system for its allocation process, then it`s worth considering.

I've never liked the idea of buying into a syndicate and without sounding too greedy, the boat has to be all mine or not at all. I appreciate the savings that can be made by being in a syndicate and make boat ownership more closer for many. But fellow boat owners are like neighbours, they can either make it or break it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Davydine,

Hi Neil,

As you know the boat syndicates do tend to work differently, take for example the Southern Crusader syndicate they have a system where you buy a set week or weeks (this week number is the same each year other than date adjustments every seventh year). 

On Ranworth Breeze we have a three teared system where we have six school weeks owners and 14 standard week owners (these are split into red and green weeks and the owners alternate between green and red weeks each year. Each group draw their allocations out of the hat at the AGM (so at this years AGM we will be drawing out dates for 2019) The six school weeks owners will be able to draw a date in the summer holiday period and a corresponding date at the start of the season in March (one owner will get the halfterm week). The red week owners will draw an early summer week (the seven weeks before the summer holidays) and a autumn week. The green week owners will draw a spring week (from the 7th and 13th week of the season) and late summer (the next seven weeks after the summer holidays). The following year these 14 owners  change from red to green and vice versa. We have had this type of share since the boat was launched and have seen all variations of the seasons without the busy school holidays. We do offer changing allocations after the draws are complete and there are measures in place to accommodate changes during the season. 

I know most of the other syndicates have 4 week shares, some will offer an an half share (2 weeks) some have dedicated school weeks and I believe that some have a rotation system.

Maybe some of the other syndicate owners would like to post in the forums syndicate area how their allocations work.

Regards

Alan  

• Like 1

Hi Neil,
As you know the boat syndicates do tend to work differently, take for example the Southern Crusader syndicate they have a system where you buy a set week or weeks (this week number is the same each year other than date adjustments every seventh year). 
On Ranworth Breeze we have a three teared system where we have six school weeks owners and 14 standard week owners (these are split into red and green weeks and the owners alternate between green and red weeks each year. Each group draw their allocations out of the hat at the AGM (so at this years AGM we will be drawing out dates for 2019) The six school weeks owners will be able to draw a date in the summer holiday period and a corresponding date at the start of the season in March (one owner will get the halfterm week). The red week owners will draw an early summer week (the seven weeks before the summer holidays) and a autumn week. The green week owners will draw a spring week (from the 7th and 13th week of the season) and late summer (the next seven weeks after the summer holidays). The following year these 14 owners  change from red to green and vice versa. We have had this type of share since the boat was launched and have seen all variations of the seasons without the busy school holidays. We do offer changing allocations after the draws are complete and there are measures in place to accommodate changes during the season. 
I know most of the other syndicates have 4 week shares, some will offer an an half share (2 weeks) some have dedicated school weeks and I believe that some have a rotation system.
Maybe some of the other syndicate owners would like to post in the forums syndicate area how their allocations work.
Regards
Alan  

Does that mean that your 2 week school holiday share owners actually only get one week in the school holidays?

Yes Matt they only get one week each being as we have six school shares, most syndicates struggle to accommodate even six weeks these days because most schools are getting towards a five week period.

The management team on Ranworth Breeze have to check all the area's that our owners live  in, for example we are now checking out the summer holidays listing for 2019 ready for our draw in this years AGM.

I would guess that you have only 3 school share owners or less in your syndicate.

Regards

Alan

That's a shame as I could have been tempted!

Yes we only have the 3 school holiday shares so can squeeze them in.

Can your 6 not even share the other school holiday weeks:
2 at Easter
May half term
Oct half term

And then Feb, Christmas/New year - although I think you might winterise?

Why don't the owners just tell you when their school holidays are?!

https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/white-champagne/

We've had a week on White Champagne wasn't our first choice but it's one hell of boat for space, we had 3 in the front area and us 2 in the rear bedroom or should it be ballroom the size of it. loads of cupboards.

Would we book it again as a group yes but there's normal just the 2 of us so no.

Check out londonrascal - captains blogs on Youtube for his review.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2017 at 08:41, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Neil,

Regards

Alan  

Hi Alan,

I`ve been trying to get a rotational system through for the last 2 years, and honestly thought we had one sorted for voting on, and implementing at our AGM earlier this month, but it was dropped without even discussing the pro`s and cons. To be honest, i was EXTREMELY disappointed, especially when yet again, for the 3rd year out of 4, we drew a spring week at the beginning of March (beginning of our Spring season), and our Autumn week in late November (the last week in our Autumn season), so as you can imagine, i was bloody livid.  What i was particularly annoyed about was the fact that the rotational allocation system was dropped without discussion, let alone voting on it.  It was dropped because every 3 years, when you went from the beginning of the allocation year (summer in our case) you went from late Spring, to early summer, that meant a week in early - mid May, to the next roll over allocation week being early in the season, being a week in early June. This was the main reason it was dropped without discussion or agreement.  However, as a result of the "luck of the draw" system, our Autumn week is from the 17th November returning home on the 24th, and our Winter allocation week, from the 3rd of December, 2 weeks later, yet that`s supposed to be acceptable. Another one of our members has his summer week at the beginning of September, again the end of our Summer season,  yet his Autumn week is later in September.   To be honest, i`ve always prided myself on being fair minded, that`s why i thought up this particular rotational system,  in order that EVERY member would get 2 holiday weeks in the best 6 months of each year. Yes, when you change from late to early season, you get a short gap between the Spring and Summer weeks, but this would be the same for EVERY member, and you could possibly swap one for another week to split them up a bit.  

Our next AGM is a year away, and i`m going to use that time to contact all members and discuss the rotational system and ask for their support to get it put through. If they`re NOT prepared to do what`s fairer for ALL, i`l be putting my share up for sale and doubt i`d buy into another.  I love Lightning, she`s a fabulous boat, but this has left a sour taste in my mouth, and is more than likely going to drive me away.

• Sad 1