Boats For Two Families

Davydine

We tried a new system for the weeks this year. It was done by a virtul draw. One owner gets a list of the names and told the numbers and they decide whao has which number. Then another owner gets the list of dates and puts numbers next to the dates. This is then sent in and the two sheets shown together. As I say this year was the first for Evening Shadow this way. The list is sent out before the AGM then if anyone needs to change it is done at The AGM. We had about three lots to change which was done easy and it was voted on to do this again next year. We do have shares avaiable just now as well.

• Thanks 1

Neil, I can well understand your disappointment in the weeks you were allocated. You've summed up very well the reason why I haven't been tempted in to syndicate ownership so far, namely the risk of being stuck with weeks I wouldn't want. I'd happily have any week in Summer and Winter wouldn't matter too much as I may not use it anyway. In Spring, however, I might hire in March one year(never been tempted so far) but I wouldn't want it that often. In Autumn, November doesn't interest me much to be honest. 

I actually like the fixed week system offered on Southern Crusader. You know where you are with that with no lottery involved. It doesn't pass under Ludham unfortunately but nevertheless I could see myself buying a single week in the future and continuing to hire for other visits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well explained Neil.  Thank goodness we don't operate 'B.A's allocation like your syndicate, that would never do, or work.  But then again there is only the four of us to divide up 52 weeks so there are always spare weeks and weekends available.  'B.A' was last crewed up on 14th Oct and no one will be onboard now until 12th Nov, then no more bookings till next year as things stand now, that will change of course

Griff

• Like 3

This is probably going off topic from the start of the thread but I can see the problems of the draw system which is the main reason I've never been keen on buying into a syndicate. The other reason being that the majority of the boats are quite large and I would only need a small boat. However as regular readers will know, I love being out in the winter so would be a bit gutted if I couldn't get weeks in December for example. I know its possible to swap weeks but I guess if people are not prepared to swap there is little you can do about it.

I think my ideal (if I could raise the cash - ha ha) would be a smaller syndicate, say no more than six in it and maybe with people with kids or who need to take school holidays which is a time I definitely wouldn't want to be out. I think if a syndicate could be balanced in that sort of way, then everyone (in theory) could have the time they want.

The drawback of course is that if a member sold their share then the new member might not have the same priorities. Its a difficult one. Having your own boat is the answer of course but I think I'd have to go teetotal and save up for a few years to do that!!! :default_icon_e_surprised: (and Mrs N would have to stop buying shoes) :default_norty: 

:default_beerchug:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I would say Griff's point about less owners is the key point here.

My suggestion would be that as a syndicate put some money away and then once you have enough buy a share back to the syndicate and don't resell it. Let's say £6k buys you a share in Lightening- an extra £20 a month and then in 2 years time but an 8% share back. You could do what you want with it but along with the 2 weeks maintenance you could remove Jan to mid Feb from the allocations draw straight away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2