Potter Heigham Bridge

Snowy

9 hours ago, Timbo said:

First let me say from the practical experience of running a fishery I can tell you that, contrary to guff published by the RSPB, dredging improves water quality and therefore the quality of fish stocks, vegetation and birdlife. Dredge your lake/broad and you don't get prymnesium blooms.

I totally agree with all of your post Tim, but this bit is another issue, well worthy of mention.

Allowing a place like Hickling to silt up is not good for birdlife, especially as that area has no headwaters and so relies on the rise and fall of tides. A lot of our waterbirds feed on fish and most others, on healthy vegetation. Except on the Malsters Quay where they feed on Homepride or Mr Kipling.

I remember the big success of the mud-pumping experiment on Cockshoot in the 70s (or was it the 60s?) and also when they started the deep dyke digging on the land around Thurne Mouth. The water in the dykes was crystal clear, unlike the river, and all the herons promptly moved off the river bank and started fishing out in the fields!

Yet again, the Broads cannot be left to their own "natural beauty". They have to be managed, by people with practical knowledge, rather than mission statements or visions.

Edited by Vaughan
forum spell checker!
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Timbo said:

So based on my highly scientiffick experiment...they need to dredge from Hickling to Yarmouth. Mind that's what Gordon at Martham said too. :default_norty:

They won't do it.  The Environment Agency requires an 'Environmental Impact Survey' bofore work is approved or commenced.

The BA were told years ago that dredging would lower water levels and this effect would be considered an 'adverse environmental impact', especially on the Upper Thurne......:default_icon_mad:

• Thanks 1

Personally I would like to see the Potter bridge removed and something installed to allow a bigger air draft, or even a way around the bridge would be good. Also even allow something for pedestrians wouldn't go amiss either, because at the moment it can be a bit scary crossing the bridge when you have small children. I don't know too much about the bridge but I'm sure it has historical value, but we have to move with the times as it would be good to come out of Herbies and make a left and not always right. Making more of the broads available to boaters must be a good thing surely?

3 hours ago, KaptinKev said:

Personally I would like to see the Potter bridge removed and something installed to allow a bigger air draft, or even a way around the bridge would be good. Also even allow something for pedestrians wouldn't go amiss either, because at the moment it can be a bit scary crossing the bridge when you have small children. I don't know too much about the bridge but I'm sure it has historical value, but we have to move with the times as it would be good to come out of Herbies and make a left and not always right. Making more of the broads available to boaters must be a good thing surely?

Get over it - It's not going to happen !

Yeh, sacrilege! 

I love getting under the bridge as I know there will be a really special place beyond it. Do we really want to destroy that? (Ignoring that we'd be also destroying part of our heritage.)

Love to have the quieter places beyond low bridges. They are accessible if you choose your boat carefully, so no one is really excluded from the experience.

Helen

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Poppy said:

Get over it - It's not going to happen !

I know it's not going to happen, even if I get reborn again 3 more times and I get to live to a hundred. But by then, model boat enthusiasts will be safe in the knowledge that they have an air draft of 500mm to get under the bridge. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've spoken to a lady who remembers that she could not go beneath the railway bridge as they were taking it down at the time.  She worked out that was 1968..

If Natural England had their way we could all have gone round the Medieval Bridge....

Out via GT Yarmouth up the coast  and back in via the new coastal eastury through the abandoned sea defences...

• Haha 1

So do you think that that cost Martin, could come out of the Navigation Account??:1_grinning:

Whilst I do not dispute, or acknowledge as accurate, what comments have been made to about dredging all the way to Yarmouth, what it would certainly do, is allow salt water surges to come further upstream. Like it or not, they are already advancing upstream relatively quickly and more brackish water further upstream could affect and indeed upset the precariously balanced eco system. Is that what we want?

And you will all recall that dredging IS going on - Heigham Sound has been dredged and I believe there will be further dredging of Hickling this year, and indeed, if you care to check, you will also be able to see that substantial dredging has occurred on the Lower Bure and downstream of Thurne Mouth. Now I grant that that may not be enough or to everyones liking but it IS happening.

You are never going to see a programme like Barton again - I dread to think how much something like that would cost these days! Perhaps someone would like to do the sums and work it out adjusted for 2017 prices and suggest where the money will come from - I guarantee you can forget the EU as willing to cough up if only out of principle!!