Breydon Water Closed To Hire Boats

Dear All

Urgent Boating News - Breydon Water is currently closed to hire vessels due to weather conditions. Expected to calm after high tide at 14:39 today.

Kind Regards

Laura Milner

Administrative Officer Operations

Broads Authority

Tel: 01603 756035

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734
www.broads-authority.gov.uk

• Thanks 1

I know this is a very silly question, but I’m a very silly person......... why do they close it ?

is it because it’s too choppy ? If that’s so, it’s the best time to cross it while singing “a life on the ocean waves”

1 hour ago, Snowy said:

I know this is a very silly question, but I’m a very silly person......... why do they close it ?

is it because it’s too choppy ? If that’s so, it’s the best time to cross it while singing “a life on the ocean waves”

It's often a case if the tide is higher then normal. When we was on hoilday going back over Breydon it was very rough,but kept open.Peter what has the tides been like?

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

It's often a case if the tide is higher then normal. When we was on hoilday going back over Breydon it was very rough,but kept open.Peter what has the tides been like?

If I may answer that question too, the water has been very high recently. In the south, many of the moorings have been underwater at high tide, Reedham, Oulton Dyke and Langley Dyke to name a few.  We had planned to go to Geldeston last week but shortly after low water there was only 6ft clearance! Hope that helps. 

To be totally honest it need height gauges on both rivers that  join into braydon ie the waveney and the yare , just how were people to know about this closure anyway other than going on the internet , when it was closed SOB was at Thorpe so on less BA had a back up boat patrolling which they probably did people would have simply crossed , I have never understood how a simple message on a website is enough , highway's have road closed signs but braydon doesn't at least at Yarmouth you have personal the other 2 rivers have nothing and out of season its worse still when most of the bad weather is .:default_coat:

Well Peter, Bridges not only apply to all hire craft but the private ones as well. The number of private skippers who go under Potter Heigham bridge saying, ... "That bridge doesn't apply to me." is staggering.

I did it once and the bridge generously applied itself to various parts of my boat, whilst (and at the same time) making the alarming noises that bridges make when applying themselves.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ricardo said:

To be totally honest it need height gauges on both rivers that  join into braydon ie the waveney and the yare , just how were people to know about this closure anyway other than going on the internet , when it was closed SOB was at Thorpe so on less BA had a back up boat patrolling which they probably did people would have simply crossed , I have never understood how a simple message on a website is enough , highway's have road closed signs but braydon doesn't at least at Yarmouth you have personal the other 2 rivers have nothing and out of season its worse still when most of the bad weather is .:default_coat:

I 'my sure we saw a height marker somewhere near the Burgh Castle moorings last year - maybe at the entrance to the basin? 

I am going back 5 to 6 years ago and when we had our Shetland 4 plus 2. We were going over Breydon towards G/Y, when a BA boat pulled up by the side of us and asked what our height was. We told them and they told us we could keep going.

So anyone who would have been to high, would have been turned around.

Regards

Marina :default_stinky:

6 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Is this the boy?

bridge marker.JPG

To be honest iv never seen that  but  it's some time since iv been over braydon , thing is like I said a height gauge is OK but it will not tell you that braydon is currently not navigable by  hire craft for that information you need to use the internet on less BA are actually patrolling . 

The point of the sign isn't to say if Breydon is "closed" or not, its just a guide to the clearance under the bridges and general information.

I honestly don't know how they "close" Breydon - we crossed in June in fairly hairy (but manageable) conditions. There was some suggestion afterwards that Breydon had been closed but I'm not sure how I was supposed to know if it was or not?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NorfolkNog said:

The point of the sign isn't to say if Breydon is "closed" or not, its just a guide to the clearance under the bridges and general information.

I honestly don't know how they "close" Breydon - we crossed in June in fairly hairy (but manageable) conditions. There was some suggestion afterwards that Breydon had been closed but I'm not sure how I was supposed to know  it was or not?

Exactly how can you tell on less you visit either BA's website or here ( not that I'm criticising the fact that BA bulletins are posted here ) but the simple fact is on less you meet a BA patrol while crossing you simply will not know , if the weather is a bit interesting then you have much more important things to take care of than going online .

So why was SOB at Thorpe. I thought they bought it just to patrol Breydon or was it there for more repairs!!! It seems it's never where it's needed. Just my opinion of course.

Maybe those height markers could have a flip sign for Breydon open or closed:default_biggrin:.

I thought the waiting pontoon by Breydon bridge was the answer to bridge clearances at Yarmouth.

Closing Breydon because of poor viz i.e fog, makes sense but not when it's a little choppy.

Colin:default_drinks:

Edited by Islander
Brain faster than fingers
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Islander said:

So why was SOB at Thorpe. I thought they bought it just to patrol Breydon or was it there for more repairs!!! It seems it's never where it's needed. Just my opinion of course.

Maybe those height markers could have a flip sign for Breydon open or closed:default_biggrin:.

I thought the waiting pontoon by Breydon bridge was the answer to bridge clearances at Yarmouth.

Closing Breydon because of poor viz i.e fog, makes sense but not when it's a little choppy.

Colin:default_drinks:

Must admit i was quite surprised to see it a Thorpe on Tuesday while the season is technically still live as it were , I totally agree  in fog it should closed but  to all traffic not just hire craft a bit of chop doesn't make that much difference really you just need to concentrate more that all .that said the wind was pushing me around on Tuesday aft on the yare but hey if we did every thing dependent on the weather we wouldn't do much .

49 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Exactly how can you tell on less you visit either BA's website or here ( not that I'm criticising the fact that BA bulletins are posted here ) but the simple fact is on less you meet a BA patrol while crossing you simply will not know , if the weather is a bit interesting then you have much more important things to take care of than going online .

I agree Ricardo, I wouldn't think of going online and a lot of the time I can't get signal anyway. I would have thought all hire boats, whilst not technically sea-going are more than capable of handling Breydon at its choppiest.

• Like 1

Maybe they should put cones across like they do to close a road?

Is a height marker an hour away a good enough guide? This is the 21st century, two or three digital signs as you cross would surely be more accurate. 

I have said this before and will continue to say it. If the B. A. take on the responsibility of closing Breydon  when it's deemed unsafe  we will end up with boaters assuming that it is automatically safe to cross, irrespective of conditions,  if there is no ranger to advise  otherwise. ...  like after 5.30 home time!

• Like 3