What's Wrong With This Sign?

Londonlad1985

The law changed in 1995. Prior to 1995, children under 14 were not allowed in pubs. Although kids are now allowed in pubs it is still an offence for your child to enter an area dedicated to the consumption and serving of alcohol unaccompanied. In other words, you can't sit at your table while your kids run riot. 'Accompanied' means where your child goes, you go.

I was quite surprised to discover that many of the pub chains like Wetherspoons don't consider themselves to be appropriate places for you to bring a child for longer than the duration of your meal. Wetherspoons spokesman Eddie Gershon is on record saying "“Once they have finished the meal with the child we would expect them to leave soon after. We don’t want children there bored while adults drink.". Now that I can agree with.

Like Carole, my granddaughter Gracie is very well behaved. To be honest, like me she can't abide screaming kids. We will take her for a pub lunch on occasion. 'The mucky pub' as Gracie calls it. Immediately the meal is finished, I take Gracie outside to play, or accompany her to the indoor play area.

Footballs in play areas. I'm a bit 'bah humbug' with this one. A recent trip to a children's play area where there were many toddlers and a 'weeks old' baby on a mother's lap, was marred by a couple of ten-year-olds blasting a football about the place. It hit someone full in the face on three occasions. The first time it was the nursing mother. The second time it was my other half Ellie while she was holding Grace on a climbing frame, knocking Ellie a little silly...not that she's ever silly I stress to add. The third time it was me. The lad's game ended at that point, as did their mother's timeout, away out of sight in the coffee shop. Give the boys their due, they did apologise profusely and politely on each occasion. 

• Thanks 2

Why pay for Alton Towers or Disney Land; take the family to a restaurant or pub instead. The adults can enjoy a good meal and the kids can enjoy themselves running amok. 

I agree that footie shouldn't dominate the playground pushing others to the margins and risking injury.

Re. Restaurants, we took our grandson out several times in Cornwall last week. He has his 'indoor voice' setting which means others aren't disturbed. Outside its usually his police motorbike siren impression at the moment. :default_biggrin: He knows and respects the difference.

• Like 4

Does the sign refer to the playground (i.e. The area around the swings / slide / roundabout etc.) or the whole playing field. If the former, then I see no problem with keeping the ball games, dogs and bikes away from the young kids at play. As described by others above, dog poo and balls can be a hazard to young kids who are only thinking about enjoying their play. If the latter then I agree. Fence the play equipment off and allow the ball games dogs and bikes on the rest of the field.

As for kids in pubs, most of the pubs round us have got a reasonably well defined eating area and drinking area. I would expect children to be allowed in the restaurant and would certainly expect to be able to sit down and have a meal with my kids and I would expect them to behave appropriately, but I wouldn't take them in the drinking area. It's hard enough to run a profitable pub these days and most seem to be more restaurant than pub these days. I doubt that many can afford to turn away families.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Londonlad1985 said:

I've never noticed this sign on Horning Green either having never been with a dog before. I assume it's not enforced as I don't think I've ever not seen someone with a dog on the green! 

20171015_100523.png

I wish people would take their litter home, too many times you see people drop their trash as if it's someone else's responsibility.

• Like 1

On 15/10/2017 at 14:48, YnysMon said:

Oops! We must have missed that sign when we were in Horning a few weeks back.  I'm sure we walked the dog across the Green.  Is that the bit of grass beside the Staithe?

Helen 

Likewise, pretty sure I walked Jangles there the other week, in fact, I believe I may have been advised too by a well known Horning character

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to the " Children in pubs " part of this thread ..... Yes I'm OK with well behaved children in pubs / restaurants ...... But , and here's the rub , I was in my local Wetherspoons not long ago , and had just been to the bar to buy my round . Turning away from the bar with a tray full of drinks , I failed to notice the 2 or 3 yr old that was under my feet , stumbled and dropped said tray , along with over £25 worth of drinks ...... This was greeted by rounds of applause , shouts of " Sack the juggler " etc , and a lot of effing and blinding from the child's mother , about the fact that I should watch where I'm going ...... Who had to buy a replacement round ? Me of course , no offer from child's mother or even an apology for the child being allowed to roam free and unsupervised :default_crying1animated: