Hurricane

addicted

All the current talk of hurricanes reminds me of an incident in the late 1960s. I was working at that time for Eastern Electricity, running the switchroom in their head office. One day I got a call from one of the department managers. Apparently one of his clerks was due to fly off on holiday the following day and was being Rather tiresome, gloating about the exotic place she would be in while everyone else in the  office would be working. He asked me if I could come up with anything that would take the wind out of her sails so to speak.  I said I'd give it some thought. I cane up with the perfect p!an. I l phoned her and to!d her I was from the meteorologist office band asked if she knew now hurricanes acquired their designated name. She said she didn't, I exp!ained that the meteorologist office took the name from the passenger list of a plane heading for a destination due  to be affected by a hurricane. Did she have any objection to hurricane Mavis (her name). A long pause was followed by a her hesitant "no".   I thanked her and rang off. A few minutes later she called the switchboard and asked if we had taken an outside call for her I said we had and she asked who it was from and I replied "the meteorologist office I think.  This was greeted by a small scream and "Oh my God it was genuine"!. About half an hour later her boss called me ,he could hardly speak for laughingand said hecwas going to have to confess as she was in such a state. She was so relieved she forgot to be cross.

Carole

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I know what you mean.Theres always the  smart A###.Where are you going for you holiday,two weeks B&B in Southend.How about you.Oh we are going sking in the Swiss alps staying in a lodge with the use of a heilcopter  to do the black run.Then they go on and on about it.

Ps did I tell you when I took Marina to Geneva ?

20131018_171059.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I know what you mean.Theres always the  smart A###.Where are you going for you holiday,two weeks B&B in Southend.How about you.Oh we are going sking in the Swiss alps staying in a lodge with the use of a heilcopter  to do the black run.Then they go on and on about it.

Ps did I tell you when I took Marina to Geneva ?

20131018_171059.jpg

Beautiful city hope she was suitably impressed.

Carole

1 hour ago, addicted said:

Beautiful city hope she was suitably impressed.

Carole

She was in the end.It was a surprise. We went from London city Airport. I did not tell her until we got to the airport. A great city l would love to go back one day.

Back to tv there was a whole group of programmes at thetime.I liked the saint.

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

She was in the end.It was a surprise. We went from London city Airport. I did not tell her until we got to the airport. A great city l would love to go back one day.

Back to tv there was a whole group of programmes at thetime.I liked the saint.

Me too . at the time my dad's car was identical to the one used by the Saint. He got so fed up with being expected to race every aspiring Stirling Moss , he didn't keep it long.

Carole

Don't  know if it's happening where you are,but we have a odd sky in London  and north kent at present. Have seen on Facebook,it's Nick named  Hurricane ski.For us it  is slightly yellow.First spotted in the West country. At present it looks like twilight .

The end is near we all doomed.

• Haha 1

We're on the boat in Brundall SBD it's downright weird and I can't help thinking we're going to get a right old downpour any minute. Apparently aircraft are getting strong smells of burning causing a lot of concern and there is strange activity  in the atmosphere over the Sahara which is affecting us.

Carole