Advice For Keeping Warm

Here's how I make up the bed for both boating and camping in winter.

Layers are the key.
Bottom layer, fleece blanket. Next the duvet. I put a double duvet on single beds and two doubles on a double berth. The duvet goes underneath the sleeping bag and then wraps over the top. On top of this goes another fleece blanket. So effectively you are in the sleeping bag, rolled up in the duvet so the duvet is underneath you as well as on top.

Lathems had plenty of fleece blankets and double duvets last weekend!

Oh, and I forgot to add...wear a hat to bed, amazing how warm you will become!

• Like 2

We asked that 10 years ago on our 1st full week, answer call at Roys get a 15 tog kingsize, Not been cold since.

It get's blown through when back and vac packed along with 2 good pillars. Sorted.

What I didn't read when buying it was that I have to get up first to put the heating and kettle on. She doesn't surface till it's warm.

When on the rivers out of season we tend to do the following:-

Make sure there is plenty of coverings on the bed under the bottom sheet, we use a topper but you could use sleeping bags.

We use four hot water bottles in the bed about an hour before we retire to bed to air it, top these up before you get into bed if required.

On top of the duvet we have a large fleece, this keeps you warm but has the added benefit of if there is any condensation it remains on the fleece rather than making the bedding damp, the fleece can be dried ducting the day.

When it is very cold  and if we are on shore power we leave a very small oil filled radiator on overnight (set to a lower temperature).

During the evening prior to bed heat the areas that you are sitting in and the cabin, if only us on the boat we close the dividing curtains on the forward berth.

Like Siddy one of us quickly gets gets out of bed puts the heating on and maybe the kettle and straight back to bed whilst it takes the chill out.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

early this year in February I was helping Charlie and the Broad Ambition crew on their winter out of the water maintenance, it was snowing outside so jolly cold, my solution was a hat, a good set of thermal underwear and a good sleeping bag, this kept me comfortable day and night (the long sleeved and long johns type of thermals) we ran the heating until we went to bed and started it back up when we woke.

preparation is the key, the nights are getting colder so be prepared with extra blankets etc.

I fitted extra outlets on my eberspacher, 1 either side of the berth, and have a couple of lengths of spare ducting that slot on and run under the duvet for winter cruising, I also have a clever box that I can phone to run the heating for an hour when ordering the last beer so we get back to a toasty boat and pre-heated/aired bed.

I can also phone it in the morning so I don't have to get out of bed till it's warm.

Smug git or what!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My wife and I have over the years camped out on our boat or adjoining bank well into October. This is the first year that we haven't, anno domini bites. Anyway, warmth wise, as has been mentioned, a hat, preferably a fleece one. Secondly warm feet, we both have 'Aigle' fleece wellie liners, effectively roomy, fleece socks. Tight or fitted socks are next to useless. Loose rather than 'mummy' sleeping bags are our preferred choice. Hot water bottles, god's send. We have woken to find frozen condensation on the walls of our tent yet we have remained amazingly cosy,

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this. We've been out on Freedom/Evening Light every February for a good few years now. With double duvets we've been snug as a bug. I wonder if the heating is working properly? As others have said it's quite mild at the mo! 

Of course you can always warm up in the pub :default_beerchug:

• Like 3

There are sleeping bags and there are sleeping bags,

Buy a four Seasons sleeping bag of a reputable manufacture, from a climbing / hiking shop, then you'll be warm. Mine was made in Sweden many years ago and served me many times in an unheated Lysander sailing cruiser in the depths of winter..

• Like 1

Rather than two sleeping bags we use fleece liners in our bags, far less bulky than an extra bag, important in even a large sailing dinghy. Also during the summer we find the liners are all that is needed.  Another good source of sleeping bags are angling shops such as Angling Direct. The 'carp fishing' fraternity are extremely well supplied when it comes to sleeping.

• Like 2

A while ago I invested in some brushed cotton fitted sheets and duvet covers for the boat. I now have no need for a hot water bottle which I used to love. Mind you, goose down duvets help too! I can't abide heavy bedclothes so the lighter the better. We are lucky I think these days to have the luxury of fleece blankets too, gone are the days of eiderdowns!!