New Member Looking Forward To More Time Here And On The Broads.

JohnK

Hi everyone,

We’ve been visiting the Broads for years.

We’ve had boating holidays, rented riverside cottages, hired day boats etc etc. Over the last couple of years we’ve kept a caravan in the area.

Our plan now is to buy a little riverside cottage with a boat.

I’m pretty sure I’ll have a million questions so feel free to tell me to shut up anytime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the warm welcome.
We are going through buying somewhere but don’t want to jinx it so more detail later
First (daft?) question is the riverside cottages that are built wooden piles ... are the piles driven in? Dug out and concreted? Some other sort of construction?

Driven in, I think, others will know for sure. The ground is really soft so you see new piles being put in from time to time. More  methods may be coming in as technology improves I suppose, some of the big riverside houses in Horning seem pretty solid compared with their neighbouring bungalows.

1 hour ago, JohnK said:

Thanks very much for the warm welcome.
We are going through buying somewhere but don’t want to jinx it so more detail later emoji57.png
First (daft?) question is the riverside cottages that are built wooden piles ... are the piles driven in? Dug out and concreted? Some other sort of construction?

Hi John,

Some of the later built waterfront houses are built on metal piles that are also concreted into the ground, these can be seen at Horning, Brundall to name but a few locations. Many of the properties are raised off of the ground to help prevent flooding. Sadly the floods in 2010 effected many properties.

Regards

Alan

Thanks everyone. I was hoping there was a single answer. Guess I’ll have to stop being lazy and figure it out if we ever get in!
It’s built on 8” -12” square posts and raised a couple of feet above the ground. But I have no idea what’s at the bottom of the posts underground.