Fair Ambassador

JamesLV

Aside from one previous hire (Brinks Sonata), I spectacularly failed to get under Ludham Bridge on my last couple of visits due to a combination of too tall a boat, and always going when it's spring tides, and the tide times are all wrong, meaning 'safe passage' is usually either stupid o'clock in the morning, or late at night...

There's a lot of places beyond Wroxham Bridge I'd like to get to as well.

Next Year I'm looking to change this, so initially looked at one of the Broom Cadets, they have a folding roof/canopy arrangement which would solve the problem, however, they are down in Brundall, which means a long slog up to the Ant, and they don't allow Doggo's. After being unsure of whether to bring our dog along this year, he was immaculate and we'd like to take him again, it gives you a good excuse to go for a nice walk too.

Had a bit more of a dig about, and I've found 'Fair Ambassador' I like the layout with a huge (comparitively) heads/bathroom, and a very good size kitchen/galley. Also, it's got a full sized bed (I'm 6'4 this is a major plus).

I've had a look at all the 360 views on NBD's website and it looks great.

Has anyone got any personal experience of it? Only negative I can see is no Bow Thrusters, and I've become lazy now and I'm used to them...

thanks!

I haven't any experience of Fair Ambassador, but I did find NBD very helpful and Fair Regent very comfortable a few weeks back.

I've started planning my holiday leave dates around the tides, to maximise opportunities to cross Breydon and get under the bridges.  That's why I chose a week starting 23rd September this year, rather than one of the weeks either side of it.

Helen

• Like 1

We're out on Bronze Emblem which is the first one I've helmed without bow thrusters. Air draft 7'1 with canopy down and we got under Ludham Bridge no problem yesterday at high tide. Been up the Ant on Fair Prince several times as well if you're after a centre cockpit but that one is more expensive. 

Forward steer boats and centre cockpits seem to be the way to go. 

I got under potter in one of Herbert Woods Connisusseur range . Apparently they were built the other side of Wroxham bridge so were designed to get under the bridge in most conditions. .

Great boats, I actually hired this type twice and would do again . ( there's not many boats I wouldn't like to be fair!!) 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Yes, we didn't pay the pilot when we were with NBD, with Ferry Marina we had to pay the yard when we took the boat back.

We had that with ferry marina and wasn't to happy as they advertise as "all inclusive"  and never mentioned  the pilot charge was extra !  It wasn't the cost that annoyed me but the in my view the false advertising .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JamesLV said:

Oh, I appear to have ‘accidentally’ booked next years holiday....

:default_cool:

I'm not long back either, and every time my wife walks past and glances at my iPad , she just shakes her head , as it's usually boats I'm looking at!!

what did you go for ? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

I'm not long back either, and every time my wife walks past and glances at my iPad , she just shakes her head , as it's usually boats I'm looking at!!

what did you go for ? 

Booked Fair Ambassador, rude not to, Hoseasons are doing £25 deposit and some fairly heavy discounts on 2018 bookings, I’d rather book direct but they can’t match it...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had the same problem with NBD not matching Hoseasons. We had a 5% discount voucher from booking directly with NBD previously but Hoseasons were still cheaper. Seemed a bit odd. We did speak to NBD but they didn't want to match it. 

It is what it is I guess, bums on seats as it were, Hoseasons I imagine have a larger presence/audience, so can presumably call the shots price wise to a degree.

Booking next years trip has taken a lot of consideration, after the service I had from Barnes this year, I would have dearly loved to book through them for next years trip, they were amazing, but in this instance didn’t have anything that fitted the requirements and budget for next years trip. However, that wouldn’t stop me recommending them to others.

My experiences with NBD have also been exemplary, and hopefully next year will replicate that. 

• Like 1

It does seem a bit odd as Hoseasons get their slice regardless of whether the booking comes through them or direct with the yard.

Hoseasons, I know, do take a very hefty whack so the only reason I can think of is that Hoseasons are maybe prepared to take a smaller cut. Anecdotal evidence also suggests that rates can vary between yards.

To be honest I always booked direct with Swancraft and do the same with Bridgecraft as I like the personal touch. However I could get 10% discount as a CAMRA member apparently! I must find out if this comes out of Hoseasons slice or the yard. If the former, I must take it up next time. :default_biggrin:

Ah yes, the old Ferry Marina "All inclusive", "we save you money" ploy. Yes its true they include everything (ish, doesnt include pilot fees and you still have to pay mooring fees and no doubt pump out fees) but I haven't yet their prices to be especially competitive even so. 

• Like 1

As I say, booking direct would be preferable, but the difference of £125 in deposit (I know it works out the same all told) and saving £40+ on the total booking makes it all a bit more palatable. Realistically, had it been a £150 deposit, I probably wouldn’t have booked so early, I’m in marketing and design, so I shouldn’t in theory fall for these techniques, however, I’ve booked and paid my deposit, so it’s worked for them!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JamesLV said:

As I say, booking direct would be preferable, but the difference of £125 in deposit (I know it works out the same all told) and saving £40+ on the total booking makes it all a bit more palatable. Realistically, had it been a £150 deposit, I probably wouldn’t have booked so early, I’m in marketing and design, so I shouldn’t in theory fall for these techniques, however, I’ve booked and paid my deposit, so it’s worked for them!

That makes sense. I think the yards have some discretion over the deposit, for example Swancraft always just took a nominal amount from me (typically fifty quid) as deposit. 

The 40 quid makes sense too, it is possible that's out of their commission. 

• Like 1