Shock Closure Of The Buck At Thorpe

NorfolkNog

The Caxton Club do let CAMRA members in as they are listed in the Good Beer Guide. Mrs N and I showed our membership cards a couple of times but they remember us so we haven't done for a while. We normally go in over lunchtime but did go in the concert room one evening when they had a band on. They seem fairly relaxed about it, possibly someone on the door was being a little zealous.

The prices are very reasonable too, not a great deal of difference to Wetherspoons and the beer is absolutely top notch as Paul, the steward, really knows his stuff. They have quite a few awards on display above the bar.

A Facebook announcement from the Buck

As most of you would have heard by now this weekend will be our last at the Buck. We weren’t given a choice unfortunately and still no explanation has been given. 
Our last trading day will be Sunday ( not Saturday!) and we will be serving our fab roast dinners as per usual, with the adjusted time 12-4 with Luke at the helm! 
We will then be going with a theme of “drink the pub dry!”
And TERRY ADAMS will be playing 5-7
And we may even have a special guest appearance before hand
We have a fancy dress theme if anyone would like to partake, staff dressing as regulars and regulars dressing as staff ( or other regulars if you wish) 
All the staff at the Buck would like to thank you for all your custom over the years, and we hope you can make it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NorfolkNog said:

Thanks for posting Mark. Such I shame, I really feel for them. 

The team are very close and are gutted but they intend to go out with a bang and staying positive the right buyer may step up and bring them all back and keep a good thing going but without enterprises shackles.

I would be there on Sunday but Mrs A and I are orff down to that London to see a band so will sadly miss the last hurrah. 

• Like 1

I was only going by the EDP's report, and I know EDP and accuracy are not always good bedfellows but their report does suggest that Ei intend to reopen the venue quickly with a new operator, not owner.

It would not be beyond Ei to decode the venue has become very popular and that it could generate more revenue as a managed house, rather than the short term unsecured lease on which it had been operating.

Paul,  the current management told me Enterprise are to sell it but time will tell.  EDP reporting was on top form as usual, they did manage to send a photographer for a couple of snaps but other than that they got their story from a phone call, content on website, inches filled, substance lacking.

• Like 1

Enterprise will, no doubt, want to squeeze every last drop of blood out of it if they can. turning it over to management could be an option (not as profitable)  but they are very keen (as all pubcos are) to deal with greedy property developers and sadly luxury flats or a care home cannot be ruled out. The site must be worth telephone numbers.

Planning permission should be an obstacle of course but I wont hold my breath. Is it a listed building?

An iconic pub in York is to be demolished and a care home built on the site. Make no mistake, these people are ruthless and don't give a jot about heritage or communities. The only thing they are interested in is profit.

I do hope I am wrong. (should have probably gone in the steam section) :default_norty:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It is a listed building but if it was not to be a pub/restaurant then the garden and car park could be built on, although the developer would need very deep pockets to find a way past local opposition.

Price wise maybe not as eye watering as you might expect a figure given to me was £250k but that is pure local gossip. 

That London Rascal wanted to re-locate to Norfolk, Flat above Buck has river views and at £250k still cheaper than a london shoebox.  

• Like 2

That's very interesting. Developers often use car parks to build houses etc. Problem is they often do seem to have deep pockets as a means to get what they want. They usually go to appeal too if they get knocked back first time. 

250k sounds very reasonable but for some perverse reason pubcos seem to prefer selling to developers rather than private individuals or local groups. If the site could be developed for housing the rewards could be significant indeed. 

I'm also intrigued about the other pubs, it makes me wonder if a package deal has been done. 

Sorry to sound pessimistic but these pubcos make Al Capone seem like Andy Pandy (showing my age now) 

They don't care about public opinion and even less about their poor tenants. 

• Sad 1

Howard, if you know the site you will know there is a row of buildings behind the Bucks garden all with river view.  A developer would find it difficult to get enough properties on the site to make it work. The Griffin however been closed for some  time with a large site I suggest is a block of flats coming sometime soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MBA Marine said:

Howard, if you know the site you will know there is a row of buildings behind the Bucks garden all with river view. 

Obviously the owners of these houses would object to any development at this location.

The Griffin is an obvious target for development as it has such a large garden at the back. A veritable field in fact. Frankly, it was never a good pub anyway, so it will probably end up as crammed in chalet bungalows. Hopefully the Buck, with such a small car park, will not have the same attraction for development as the building itself is grade 2 listed.

Interestingly, the Griffin is within the BA planning area but the Buck is not. Behind it is the long ridge of high land which Timbo insists is not the bank of the Great Estuary  :default_hiding: but which nonetheless forms an abrupt geographical boundary between the Broads, and the rest of Norfolk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/10/2017 at 11:21, Vaughan said:

Interestingly, the Griffin is within the BA planning area but the Buck is not. Behind it is the long ridge of high land which Timbo insists is not the bank of the Great Estuary  :default_hiding: but which nonetheless forms an abrupt geographical boundary between the Broads, and the rest of Norfolk.

The deposition of 'Glacial Till' or 'moraine' created when a glacier retreats I think you mean Vaughan! :facepalm:

22 minutes ago, Timbo said:

The deposition of 'Glacial Till' or 'moraine' created when a glacier retreats I think you mean Vaughan! :facepalm:

Of course Sir, I'm sorry Sir. Must keep up!

It's just that I went to Langley Junior School, up on the top of that ridge of high ground and, looking out of the classroom windows right across the Yare valley to Whitlingham and Bramerton, it was hard not to believe in that theory!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

It's just that I went to Langley Junior School, up on the top of that ridge of high ground and, looking out of the classroom windows right across the Yare valley to Whitlingham and Bramerton, it was hard not to believe in that theory!

I went to Balby Junior School, with Donny Geoff, and one December I looked out of the window and saw Santa Claus riding a bike. When my classmates noticed Santa on his bike they got excited and my teacher, Mr Widowson, told my class quite categorically that Santa Claus was a myth and it was just 'some bloke dressed as Santa', but he still made us sing 'Santa Claus is coming to town' at the Christmas concert. :default_norty::default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Timbo said:

Mr Widowson, told my class quite categorically that Santa Claus was a myth and it was just 'some bloke dressed as Santa',

The man is an idiot ....... Santa makes & delivers all the presents .....sadly for the last 50 years I seem to have fallen off Santa's list .... I hang up my socks on Christmas eve & Christmas day ....... NOTHING but holes ......... I guess thats why they call it the holey day?

Please santa of been an :9_innocent: all year!! Love Smelly

• Like 1