Unusual Sign

TheQ

A couple of years ago I dug out of my garden what looked like a garden slab.... Until I turned it over.

The sign is about 2ft6 inch high and 18 inches wide cast concrete.

On it, in positive relief, there is a lion standing on its hind legs, holding a pair of compasses between its front paws ( but no set square as in a masonic symbol)  and a crown floating above the lions head.

Now the house is on the site of a pub closed 1895, so I'm wondering if it's some sort of brewery sign. You would not go to the effort of making a mold for this, just for one pub though..

Has anyone any ideas to confirm its origin?

• Like 1

Thanks for your help so far, the sign I've got has the compasses between the paws, not huge infront of the lion, and of course my sign has  a crown above it's head...

I had come across that Lion and compass place in the USA in my searches, in fact it's seems to dominate the net, getting in the way of the searches...

52 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Thanks for your help so far, the sign I've got has the compasses between the paws, not huge infront of the lion, and of course my sign has  a crown above it's head...

I had come across that Lion and compass place in the USA in my searches, in fact it's seems to dominate the net, getting in the way of the searches...

Hi Q,

Please upload a picture so we can all see what you are describing.

Regards 

Alan