Convert Outboard Tank To In Board

Hi i have this tank which is an outboard tank it nice and big at 50L

i want to put it in the corner of my new restoration boat out of the way

so i want to convert it to a fixed tank

is there a way i can attach an inlet pipe to a filler cap 

it'll also need a fixed vent i'd of thought but how would that work being petrol or would it need to be 1 i can close and open as needed?

Fixing it won't be an issue as i can make up some stainless traps and bolt it to the floor

tank.jpg

Your best bet is to download and read the bss regs first as I would think they are pretty picky about petrol tanks, as a portable tank you can get away with just about anything, it will also be much harder to find waterside petrol pumps so you will end up using jerry cans to fill anyway.

Is there a size limit to portable tanks?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a good idea, just because you have a tank to spare and want to use it.

It would need a filler pipe going to an outside deck fitting and electrically bonded. A vent pipe coming out above the level of the filler and protected by a gauze flame trap. Feed pipe to the engine would be a fixed installation routed away from other hazards. All these pipes will need to be of approved materials and fixings. Not sure that a sight glass type fuel gauge would be permitted either.

That's just a few I can think of, off the top of my head. As Dilligaf says, best to read the BSS first.

• Thanks 2