Hydraulic

Andrewcook

Can the Norfolk Broads Net Forum tell me on this Subject about  Hydric on any Boats as there are Two Types I believe  One is for Steering  The other is for the Prop. What is the best One to have or both for the Boat as they both do run on Oil and how much maintenance do they need to keep them in good working order?  

Andrew Cook

Presuming you mean hydraulic Andrew, yes there is shaft drive, which is a direct drive, so the output of the gearbox is connected directly to the propellor, or hydraulic, whereby the gearbox drives a pump, this pumps fluid, which then drives the prop, it’s an indirect drive as there is no mechanical linkage between the two.

steering is a similar theory, you have cable steering whereby the wheel is connected to the rudder via two (or more) cables or hydraulic which is more like a power steering system in a car.

hydraulic drive has the advantage you can place the engine wherever you chose in whatever orientation, the disadvantage is you suffer more transmission losses as it is less efficient, it also produces a characteristic whining noise.

hope that helps?

• Thanks 2

I couldn't put it better than James, but one thing he missed out and I might be wrong on this and if so, the engineers on here can put me right. Hydraulic drive has the added advantage that if the propeller was to snag, I believe there might be high pressure relief valves to prevent too much damage. Where if it is direct drive, the result could be more damage to the propeller shaft and gearbox.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

I couldn't put it better than James, but one thing he missed out and I might be wrong on this and if so, the engineers on here can put me right. Hydraulic drive has the added advantage that if the propeller was to snag, I believe there might be high pressure relief valves to prevent too much damage. Where if it is direct drive, the result could be more damage to the propeller shaft and gearbox.

Indeed, this is true, the risk of mechanical damage by props getting snagged is less, as if the pressure builds up too much the system ‘vents’ however, it would require some interaction to get it working again, be it a reset on the valves, or a top up of fluid.

Coming back once again, as far as which is better...

it entirely depends on your application, personally, if I were buying a boat, I’d plump for shaft drive and cable steering, in my mind, less to go wrong, and easier to fix, however I’m a fairly mechanically minded guy.

I don’t mind losing a bit of space to an engine, or having a little more cabin noise as the engine is beneath my feet, but if you’re the person who doesn’t want to get involved in grease monkey-ing and would prefer a quieter less involved set-up, then hydro may be the right choice for you.

As with so many of these things, different strokes for different folks, what suits me, might not suit you. 

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, personally I prefer the simpler side of things, But I’m the weird hybrid son of a engineer come farmer...

• Like 2

Hi all I'm very sorry for my spelling mistake about the Name as it should have been put on the post as Hydraulic as London Lad has pointed out to me the error. Polly yes you are spot on about being Deaf as I'm totally Deaf and can get thing miss spelt as to saying that word Hydric instead of Hydraulic as I did with another post called Anti Fowl  instead of  this Word Anti Foul as that was pointed out to me on the Ladd's week with Griff .

Andrew Cook 

• grendel changed the title to Hydraulic
1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Andrew,  don't worry about it,  I have a severely dyslexic grown up son,  you wouldn't believe some of his variations.

Phonetic spelling is easier for people to interpret. 

Spell check is a great help these days. :default_biggrin:

I have modified the title of the post for you - thats what us techies are here for

• Like 1

Just now, grendel said:

I have modified the title of the post for you - thats what us techies are here for

Can you mend the hydraulic motor as well, as that "characteristic whine" sounds rather like one of the old Dowty type which has started to "run" its thrust bearing. In which case, have a boatyard check that the motor is properly aligned with the prop shaft.

4 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi all I'm very sorry for my spelling mistake about the Name as it should have been put on the post as Hydraulic as London Lad has pointed out to me the error. Polly yes you are spot on about being Deaf as I'm totally Deaf and can get thing miss spelt as to saying that word Hydric instead of Hydraulic as I did with another post called Anti Fowl  instead of  this Word Anti Foul as that was pointed out to me on the Ladd's week with Griff .

Andrew Cook 

Hello Andrew,

As already stated we are all forum friends here.

How did you find the Ladd's week?

Regards

Alan

Hi RanwothBreeze  . The Ladd's week was good with the Last Night dressed all up in the Sixties One of the Ladd's dressed up as Austin  Powers that was great Idea for this year Ladd's last night theme. As to the weather not too bad when we all went from 7th October - 14th October 2017 As to now on the Broads getting a bit rough for Boating who ever on there at the moment?

Andrew Cook

• Thanks 1

My Hampton Safari has hydraulic drive and I do like it. Not having the engine box in the centre gives a much more spacious layout and makes for quieter cruising. My drive only whines if really pushing on. Not 100% sure what system it is, perhaps someone could tell me from these pics, and yes I know my bilges need a clean and paint, its on the job list :default_blink:

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG