45 Mph Winds Predicted.. Advice Please

ManofKent

Morning I have just been checking the weather for the next week and have seen storm Brian has predicted winds of 45 mph in Norfolk tomorrow! Although I have good experience with boats I have never (luckily) had to deal with strong winds before and I assume that these winds will greatly affect the boat? So after we have done our hand over with Richardson's tomorrow would it be wise to ride it out in their marina for the night rather than try and go any where? 

This may seem obvious to some but I have never had bad weather before and any advice is appreciated :default_biggrin:

I would suggest you head for Paddy's Lane (Barton Turf). It is fairly sheltered there, not too far from Richardson's and you will be able to get unpacked and settled in. Also time to read the Skipper's manual for those all important details and tips. Have a super holiday and don't worry about the weather. 

• Like 2

I would head across Barton and turn right up to Neatishead staithe which is very sheltered and a five minute walk from the (very good) pub ! Don't leave it too late though as it is a very popular mooring.

Womack Water is another relatively sheltered spot for another night.

Have a fantastic time !

Best wishes

Charles

• Like 3

Just now, charlesa said:

I would head across Barton and turn right up to Neatishead staithe which is very sheltered and a five minute walk from the (very good) pub ! Don't leave it too late though as it is a very popular mooring.

Womack Water is another relatively sheltered spot for another night.

Have a fantastic time !

Best wishes

Charles

I agree. Gay's Staithe is pretty good too, and both have  much less risk from possible falling trees.

• Like 1

Much will depend upon your time of arrival, and the time taken for your trial run to take place. If the boat yard is very busy you might have to wait half an hour or so. You do not want to pitch up on Barton in a howling gale with poor and decreasing visibility as it starts to get dark. Also be aware that Gays Staithe and Neatishead may be full leaving you with limited options in poor weather to find other moorings.

Seek advice from the boat yard on how busy the yard has been prior to your departure. Likely weather conditions on Barton, an approximate time with regard to sunset and your arrival at your chosen destination taking into consideration dark cloudy conditions would not be in your favour.

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I would have thought Neatishead or Gay's Staithe ( v close to each other)would take you about half an hour from Richardson's.

The dyke down to the mooring at Neatishead is quite narrow and the mooring has room for about 10-12 boats. There is a nice Community-run shop in the village and the pub is very popular so if I were you I'd book in advance:

thewhitehorseinnneatishead.com/

If you happen to find that both these moorings are full then go back into Barton and turn right into the Ant. There are moorings for 2 boats at Irstead just after you leave Barton. A beautiful sheltered spot with a lovely thatched church but no shop/pub facilities ( the WH at Neatishead is a good 45 min walk). I gather that the fishing at Irstead can be very good.

Failing that there are some lovely wild moorings on the way down from Irstead to How Hill but again no facilities and whether you want to be moored under trees in a 50 mph wind is another matter.

Once you get beyond How Hill the trees disappear and you are into very windy territory !

Good luck 

Charles

• Thanks 1

Don't forget as well that it's half term week for most areas. And from talking to the yard we hired from there's going to be a lot of boats out.  

I agree completely with Andrew that a lot depends what time you get away. Personally I would find it more relaxing if conditions are really windy and late in the afternoon to stay put and make a nice early start the next morning. 

But each to their own. Have a great time. 

• Like 3

Whatever you do dont leave it too late to moor.      Last week was manic enough and every pile of bricks up the Ant even those we have never thought to moor at were taken.     Womack on Tuesday was packed to capacity with people looking to moor at 6 o'clock and past that time and almost pitch dark.     A Broadsman nearly took us all out coming down Womack Dyke about 6.10 he was going so fast , in fact our boat lurched forward long before he arrived,   there was nowhere for him to moor and he moored on the place for yachts there, he had no choice.     They were even moored along the main river.     So like others have said try nearer to home.     Barton Turf and even there you can moor in the trees if all is taken.   Irstead would be taken very early on.      Have your Rhond Irons to hand ready.     Bring a torch with you to enable you to check your ropes after dark.   

Have a really good time.

• Like 2

A friend took over his boat today and rang me to say he received a letter from the company when checking in stating that they advise hirers to stay north the entire week due to strong winds and spring tides. I understand where they are coming from to an extent but surely moorings are going to be like gold dust all week if every boat yard is giving out the same information to it's customers being a busy half term week!! 

43 minutes ago, ManofKent said:

A friend took over his boat today and rang me to say he received a letter from the company when checking in stating that they advise hirers to stay north the entire week due to strong winds and spring tides. I understand where they are coming from to an extent but surely moorings are going to be like gold dust all week if every boat yard is giving out the same information to it's customers being a busy half term week!! 

All the more reason to go south then

9 hours ago, ManofKent said:

Morning I have just been checking the weather for the next week and have seen storm Brian has predicted winds of 45 mph in Norfolk tomorrow! Although I have good experience with boats I have never (luckily) had to deal with strong winds before and I assume that these winds will greatly affect the boat? So after we have done our hand over with Richardson's tomorrow would it be wise to ride it out in their marina for the night rather than try and go any where? 

This may seem obvious to some but I have never had bad weather before and any advice is appreciated :default_biggrin:

My advice is to get to Richardsons as early as possible,  it never hurts to stick your head into reception to see if your boat is ready, if they have a lot going out yards welcome early arrivals  

29 minutes ago, ManofKent said:

Hi MK

Worry not. Trust me. Er! just a little bit perhaps. I would stay North. Having said that typical autumnal weather plus spring tides, plus daylight hours limited, plus limited facilities South. 

If I had hired South I would say the same to those who wish to travel North. Enjoy that which you have chosen. Now is not the time to enjoy both unless of course you plan accordingly, taking into account variable weather conditions and tidal conditions and accept the fact that you maybe inconvenienced by day and time.

As for moorings being at a premium in the North, it has always been thus. No matter what time of the year. Everyone is looking. Here, there, let's go a bit further, you will not be the only one. Don't worry about it. It will work out. It always has done. Why should you be any different.

Enjoy.

You will experience one of the most delightfull time on the Broads.

Andrew

• Like 3

It's probably blowing F5 to F6 with a few gusts topping F7 on Oulton Broad right now. Nothing exceptional but neither is it pleasant, unless you are out there windsurfing. 30 mph for a windsurfer is not uncommon but there is one bloke out there and he must be topping 40 mph in some of the prolonged gusts. A slab sided, newer style bath tub came very cautiously onto the Broad, with the wind on his beam. Had he given his engine some wellie then I doubt that he would have had a problem but he was throttled back and the wind took took over and he lost effective steerage, his bow swinging away from the wind as he headed towards where I was fishing and several moored boats, whhoopps,  I could see an accident in the offing. Thankfully another gust hit his stern and further round she went, broaching before the wind and a prang was avoided but more by luck than judgement. I rather suspect that he was in awe of both the white horses and the windsurfers as he departed Oulton Broad with much haste. Full throttle now he steered perfectly well, as he could have done when he first came onto the Broad. Sometimes slowly is not the best policy!  He lost control, blaming the wind I suspect,  but all that was needed was confidence. Easy to say, sat there fishing!

I have just been out too - quite breezy and gusty but nothing exceptional. Plenty of sheltered places even around Wroxham - all the Salhouse moorings offered plenty of shelter for people out and whilst yards are reasonably busy, I doubt they are all fully booked out from the look of it.

On foot at Wroxham bridge two days ago I had to help a longish bathtub trapped on the pilot's pickup point by the wind. It was their first time on a boat and they must have been terrified by boats coming through the bridge while they struggled to get away. I wish the introductions could explain how to get the stern out in a breeze, and that hire boats had a decent (blue?) fender on the prow.

I had to help some fishermen get off the bank at Stokesby who were pinned on, I gave them the tried and tested full rudder to bank, let stern flair out then reverse back, straighten up and forward as I was taught on my first time by a very helpful private boat owner named Terry

1 hour ago, High6 said:

On foot at Wroxham bridge two days ago I had to help a longish bathtub trapped on the pilot's pickup point by the wind. It was their first time on a boat and they must have been terrified by boats coming through the bridge while they struggled to get away. I wish the introductions could explain how to get the stern out in a breeze, and that hire boats had a decent (blue?) fender on the prow.

55 minutes ago, JamesLV said:

I had to help some fishermen get off the bank at Stokesby who were pinned on, I gave them the tried and tested full rudder to bank, let stern flair out then reverse back, straighten up and forward as I was taught on my first time by a very helpful private boat owner named Terry

It is this sort of manoeuvre that made me start the ‘what would you tell a new hirer’ thread. I think if this was included there would be far less frustrated holidaymakers able to leave a mooring safely. Also happier private boaters as I suspect quite a few of us have been bumped by boats trying to leave a mooring by going forward alongside, sometimes with tide and wind!